RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: propane fill port leaking.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> propane fill port leaking.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
fltioga89

oviedo, fl.

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i had my 11 gal horizontal mount propane tank filled a few weeks back and hadnt used any gas from it yet , today i noticed a smell of gas so i found the plastic cap covering the fill port was leaking and bubbled when i sprayed it with soap bubbles. i started to remove the cap but it started to hiss so i tightened the cap. what kind of valve is this as i never really looked at it, i wonder what to do, this is a 22 year old camper, i guess i need to go to a propane shop and get it replaced or repaired . any ideas?

tandkj

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the "C" to a propane place ASAP before anything happens.

Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

CrazyTed

Hoollieville #214

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last time I saw this a hornets nest pieces had been lodge in the port while filling. Had to push open the port with something non metallic to clear it....

CrazyTed
www.CrazyTed.us
Va Bch, VA
2010 Husaberg FX450
2008 Triumph Rocket III
2005 Chevy 2500HD 4X4
2008 CrossRoads CrossTerrain TF36DS (Sold)
2009 Jayco Seneca HD 36MS

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your tank may have been overfilled. I would first try loosening the bleed valve, in a well ventilated area, with nobody smoking nearby. Still take it in to have it checked but this may keep you from trailing vapors all over town.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Valve is a directional design.....one way only, into tank. Sounds like it is being blocked open by some debris.

HERE is description of valve and how they work.

Tank your rig back to place where it was filled and have them look at it. Unless it was just a fill station at gas station etc. THEN take it to a large propane supplier.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Propane fires in a mounted tank is hard to extinguish once started because the heat keep pushing more gas out and then it burns.

Little risk of an explosion, but a very intense heat fire that require depriving it of oxygen to put out --- difficult with a water fire house.

That is why if you have a fire, you probably lost your RV.

Don't way ---- get it to a licensed service station now --- and in mean time, keep the rig far away from house or anything else that can catch fire.

I have seen an RV burn with my own eyes, and it is not a pretty sight before, during or after.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fltioga89 wrote:

today i went to the propane repair shop and they were able to put on another fill fitting over the original one but before they did that they burned off some of the propane and tapped on the fill valve and one of those did the trick, it quit leaking out so they could put on the extra valve. anyway its no longer leaking so im good to go now, thanks for the advice.

Burned off......as in lit it on fire? or what you meant was they used/depleted/got rid of etc. some of the propane .

Glad to hear it isn't leaking anymore.......

oldtrucker63

Harlan Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 05:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is what I would do, Use something to push the valve open just a second and see if the gas will remove anything that might be stuck in the valve, If this will not stop the leak then go to a LP place and they will check it for you.

Without Trucks,....America Stop's

fltioga89

oviedo, fl.

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

they unhooked the regulator and connected a hose running to a big burner standing about 7 or 8 ft off the ground and 15 ft away and lit it off for a bout 10 min. the worker said they do that alot to get fuel out of old tanks.

fltioga89

oviedo, fl.

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

today i went to the propane repair shop and they were able to put on another fill fitting over the original one but before they did that they burned off some of the propane and tapped on the fill valve and one of those did the trick, it quit leaking out so they could put on the extra valve. anyway its no longer leaking so im good to go now, thanks for the advice.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> propane fill port leaking.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS