RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Camping World's shotty AC install.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping World's shotty AC install.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad this is going to have a favorable ending for you. . . Hopefully

Where I Am Now

Amateur Radio Operator KK9W ARRL VE FT DX2000

Steve and Joy
2011 Jayco Pinnacle 35 LKTS
2014 Ford F 350 Lariat Dually Camper Package
Cooper . . . The Aussie-Doodle, Yogi . . . The Yorkie, Cookie . . . The Chiuaiua

Shot-N-Az

Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This forum is loaded with anecdotal evidence that CW has issues in its service department. I agree wholeheartedly with a previous poster that the problem goes well beyond the hack who did this job. This problem goes right to the top and trickles down from there. There are at least two people in this chain who don't give a damn. Organizations inevitably reflect the personality of the leadership. Take whatever you wish from that statement.

I've read the CEO's postings on here and I think he has good intentions, but it is obvious his intent is neither translated nor embraced throughout the organization. He needs to spend a month in the shoes of a customer and see life from our end of the pipeline. Then he needs to examine his corporate oversight mechanisms, get rid of the deadwood, create an environment and a comp package that attracts good people, and fix this crap.

It's fine and dandy they are willing to make it right in this instance, but it never should have happened in the first place.

Ranger Smith

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it would be a good company for that show Undercover Boss

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bear25314 wrote:

Thanks again everyone for your input. Just talked to Camping World in Katy again. They said the manufacturer sent schematics and instructions calling to cut the truss. After speaking with/emailing the Service Manager, General Manager and even the CEO of Camping World, they have all assured me that they will make this right. The RV is going back into the shop this Friday, March 2. I am having them photograph all work as it is done BEFORE closing up the frame so I know that all is good in there. They have assured me that I would be able to walk around the unit on the roof and that the integrity of the roof with the additional AC would be fine. I'm going to hope for the best. Now that all are involved I hope for the best. I will keep you updated on here as to how it all turns out. Thanks again. Lets hope Camping World keeps there word.

Dang! I'm smelling furry little rodents all over the place here! Why would it be necessary to cut a truss to install an A/C? There should be enough room between the roof trusses to frame out the necessary 14" opening. I would demand a copy the schematics and instructions to verify what they say (and verify with the manufacturer that instructions and schematics are genuine).

I wouldn't trust them to take photos of the work they did, either. Those could be faked. If it was me, I would be there the entire time to watch every move they made. If they gave me any guff about me not being allowed in the service area, I'd give them the choice of that or court. They already showed how trustworthy and competent they were when they tried to pass of that shoddy job.

My biggest worry is the cut truss. You could contact the factory and ask what is the recommended way to fix it but, assuming there is room between the rafters for a 14" square opening (and I would be surprised if there wasn't) I wouldn't settle for anything less than removal of the roof panels where the damage was done, replace the ceiling panel (big job to do correctly), replace the damaged truss with a new one (I wouldn't settle for just a patch job), replace the removed roof panel, then replace the entire roof (again, I wouldn't settle for a patch job; you had an unpatched roof before they damaged it with their incompetence). I would also be looking for a lawyer because I'm reasonably certain they wouldn't agree to any of that without a fight.

Jeannie

Bear25314

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I whole heartily agree.... Lets hope they start here....

johntichy

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading all the posts on this matter it makes me think of Home Depot. Do all you readers remember when Home Depot first showed up for business. They use to employ former craftsmen that knew their stuff. But, the upper management realized their pocket can get much fatter if they get rid of people they need to pay a fair wage. Now they pay nothing to incompident people that do not know the difference between a nail or a screw. Oh yeah, 230 million dollar severence package to the CEO of Home Depot. Hello Camping World!!! Pay your people a descent wage that will attract craftsmen before it bites you?????? By the way, your Presidents Club is joke.

Ranger Smith

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:

Bear25314 wrote:

Thanks again everyone for your input. Just talked to Camping World in Katy again. They said the manufacturer sent schematics and instructions calling to cut the truss. After speaking with/emailing the Service Manager, General Manager and even the CEO of Camping World, they have all assured me that they will make this right. The RV is going back into the shop this Friday, March 2. I am having them photograph all work as it is done BEFORE closing up the frame so I know that all is good in there. They have assured me that I would be able to walk around the unit on the roof and that the integrity of the roof with the additional AC would be fine. I'm going to hope for the best. Now that all are involved I hope for the best. I will keep you updated on here as to how it all turns out. Thanks again. Lets hope Camping World keeps there word.

Dang! I'm smelling furry little rodents all over the place here! Why would it be necessary to cut a truss to install an A/C? There should be enough room between the roof trusses to frame out the necessary 14" opening. I would demand a copy the schematics and instructions to verify what they say (and verify with the manufacturer that instructions and schematics are genuine).

I wouldn't trust them to take photos of the work they did, either. Those could be faked. If it was me, I would be there the entire time to watch every move they made. If they gave me any guff about me not being allowed in the service area, I'd give them the choice of that or court. They already showed how trustworthy and competent they were when they tried to pass of that shoddy job.

My biggest worry is the cut truss. You could contact the factory and ask what is the recommended way to fix it but, assuming there is room between the rafters for a 14" square opening (and I would be surprised if there wasn't) I wouldn't settle for anything less than removal of the roof panels where the damage was done, replace the ceiling panel (big job to do correctly), replace the damaged truss with a new one (I wouldn't settle for just a patch job), replace the removed roof panel, then replace the entire roof (again, I wouldn't settle for a patch job; you had an unpatched roof before they damaged it with their incompetence). I would also be looking for a lawyer because I'm reasonably certain they wouldn't agree to any of that without a fight.

Oh come on now. They couldn't even put in an A/C correctly and you would want them to remove roof panels and replace entire roof.

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At this point...I would figure on the trailer being totalled. I simply do not see how they can possibly undo that butcher job short of replacing half the trailer roof and supports. I would send the pictures to the manufacturer and consuly an attorney. CW owes you a trailer.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Bear25314

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are telling me that they will connect the two trusses on each side of the one they cut, connecting that one in the middle. Then, frame off of that. I had a lengthy talk with bothe the service manager and general manager on the phone today. I told them that I brought a BRAND NEW camper to them and that I am now concerned they have affected the integrity of that part of the roof. I told them I want to be able to walk all over that roof when performing maintance and such. They insist that I will be able to when they are done. Also about the pictures, i will be markIng the trusses and inside of the roof and will be looking for those marks in the photos, before and after. I paid alot for this camper, it rePlaced our "starter" camper. This really sucks, I'm just trying to be hopeful it gets fixed correctly.

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shot-N-Az wrote:

This forum is loaded with anecdotal evidence that CW has issues in its service department. I agree wholeheartedly with a previous poster that the problem goes well beyond the hack who did this job. This problem goes right to the top and trickles down from there. There are at least two people in this chain who don't give a damn. Organizations inevitably reflect the personality of the leadership. Take whatever you wish from that statement.

I've read the CEO's postings on here and I think he has good intentions, but it is obvious his intent is neither translated nor embraced throughout the organization. He needs to spend a month in the shoes of a customer and see life from our end of the pipeline. Then he needs to examine his corporate oversight mechanisms, get rid of the deadwood, create an environment and a comp package that attracts good people, and fix this crap.

It's fine and dandy they are willing to make it right in this instance, but it never should have happened in the first place.

Totally and 100% agree. I will never step foot in another Camping World after the experience I had with them last summer. I don't care if they were the last place on earth to get the part or accessory I needed....I would buy a different camper and not from them.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping World's shotty AC install.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS