|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Ontario to Disney

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Lizard-of-oz

Orlando

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Total nube looking for travel advice from Toronto area to Disney world in April.
First time in an rv and jumped to a 35' Georgetown. I have heard pros and cons for 75 and 79. None of these opinions have come from an experienced rv owner.

Thanks in advance!

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our personal preference from north of Toronto is I-75. Just avoid Atlanta during rush hour (think 401-DVP to the Airport in rush hour). Only one big hill in north TN. No other serious traffic concerns. Exit 75 at the Florida Turnpike to 429 Western Beltway right at Disney.
The other choice 79/77/95/4 is 60 miles SHORTER, but has more hills for a much longer distance VA/NC, then more traffic on 95 and I-4.
Tolls on either route would be less than $10-20 depending on whether or not you are towing.

Beverley and Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

FC

Tavistock,Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone I have talked to says I 75 is an easier drive than the I 79 to I77 one. lots of hills and a couple of long tunnels.
Enjoy your Georgetown, we sure love ours. Close friends of ours just left two days ago from Oakville and they went by way of I 75 all the way to Tampa.
JM2CW

2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Family Campers & RVers--- Come Camp With Us
www.fcrv.org

63-Coupe

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also prefer the I-75 option from where we live just outside of Hamilton. If you cross at Detroit/Windsor once you pay the toll stay hard to the left and there is a new ramp that takes you right onto I-75 South without having to go through any of the local neighborhoods any more.

I came down I-75 at the end of January and will be heading back up near the end of this week. Very little construction right now and it's 3 lanes each way for the most part.

micar

Ontario Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with I75, you just go straight!!! There is the big hill at Tellico but you should be ok.Buy the Drive I75 book it gives you all kinds of history and some neat places to stop,original KFC, Kentucky Horse Farm etc...We cross at Sarnia/Port Huron Blue Water Bridge. Its a little further mileage wise but a less stressful and quicker crossing than Detroit.
Mike

VE3ESN

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we have a contrary view! We prefer QEW to Fort Erie, I-90, I-79, US Rt. 19 in WV, I-77, I-26, I-95, I-4. I-75 in Ohio is B-O-R-I-N-G !! Also, with a big rig like yours, it's nicer to cross into the US earlier, where fuel is quite a bit cheaper. The hills in VA and the two tunnels are not that bad and the scenery is wonderful. Our 2 cents worth.

Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)
FMCA F390585
Trees are being destroyed through the transportation of invasive insects and diseases in firewood. For more information, please visit www.dontmovefirewood.org

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have zero experience along the 79, but the 77/26/95 route I used to Orlando is one of the nicest drives I've been on to date.

1999 Itasca Sunrise

Lizard-of-oz

Orlando

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/12 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all very much for the responses. The consensus seems to be I75. Is there any concern with this route based on the recent tornado cleanup? Thank you again

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Ontario to Disney
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS