|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing Adventure this weekend

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BurbMan

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, off to the local rental outfit to secure a bobcat for some landscaping work...I had to rent the trailer to carry it, too. The Bobcat weighs in at 6000 lbs and the trailer at 2200, so all told 8200 lb load. I call Tuesday to reserve the equipment, and the guy asks what I have to tow with and I describe my Suburban...he says fine, we'll have a trailer with electric brakes and a 2" ball coupler on it.

So I show up Saturday morning with my 2" ball and fill out the paperwork. I pay for the rental and the guy tells me to pull around to the yard. I pull around to the yard and the guy in the yard says. "You're not gonna pull it with that are ya?? So we go again about the 8.1, 12,000 tow capacity, etc, and he waves me over to a trailer.

I back up to the trailer and he tells me, "you got the wrong ball, you need a 2 5/16"...so I say I brought a 2" because that's what the guy in the office said I needed. So he reluctantly guides me over to another trailer with a 2" ball. This one has electric brakes, so he has to check inside the truck to be sure I have a brake controller.

So he gives me a quick lesson on bobcat operation, I drive it up on the trailer, chain it down, all set to go. The coupler is tight and the safety chains are on.

Then, I grab the umbilical cord and go to plug it into the truck...I look down and....No Plug!!! Only wires hanging out of the cord. I look at the rental guy and give him the WTF, to which he responds something about "the kid buggered it up", and says that's the only trailer they have with a 2" coupler, either take it or no bobcat this weekend.

He told me it was OK because "I lived close". So the rental place sends me away with an 8200 lb trailer with no lights or brakes. Surprisingly the Sub's brakes did quite well at stopping the combined load, but certainly not a set up I would advocate. I did 30 in the 35 zone the whole way and made it OK. Bringing it back in the morning. Will use a different rental yard next time.

Told my neighbor the story this afternoon as I was loading the bobcat back on the trailer, and he just shook his head and said "welcome to KY."

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you didn't have a wreck because that could be one HECK of a liability claim against you

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have gone back inside and said, "send your mechanic outside with a 2 5/16 ball.....or a ball mount with a 2 5/16 already on it, and put it on my 'burb so I can take the trailer with working electrics."

Sorry, but no way would I have pulled off their lot with that setup with no electrics.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmw photos wrote:

I would have gone back inside and said, "send your mechanic outside with a 2 5/16 ball.....or a ball mount with a 2 5/16 already on it, and put it on my 'burb so I can take the trailer with working electrics."

Sorry, but no way would I have pulled off their lot with that setup with no electrics.

X2. Speaking from experience.

Is there a 2 inch ball made rated for 9 plus thousand pounds? Can an underrated ball snap off the shank with that much weight?

Thanks!

Tent: Ozark Trails Cabin Tent (circa 1993)
Pack Mule: 2013 Kia Sorento

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny how everything wrong with the vehicle was a rental stopper.
But to fix his defective equipment.... no worries.

Why the H can't he pop on a connector as he seemed to be an expert at everything else

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. My local rental place won't let me rent their larger equipment because my truck doesn't have a weight rating sticker on it's hitch. Same with my last 3500.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

BurbMan

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 05:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smkettner wrote:

Funny how everything wrong with the vehicle was a rental stopper.
But to fix his defective equipment.... no worries.

Well that was my point....he was all concerned that I didn't have enough truck to pull the trailer, but the fact I had no brakes was not a big deal....

The first trailer with the 2 5/16 ball had surge brakes. He did go inside to see if they would rent me a 2 5/16 ball, but then came back out said they were sold out and had none left. The only 2 5/16 ball I had was built into my Hensley, so no go there.

Well and the other ironic part is that my little Reese ball mount has 500/5000 stamped right on it but he didn't seem worried about that either...

Skip is right, I probably shouldn't have taken it off the lot, BUT...I had a 25 ton pile of stone in the driveway, I had this weekend set aside for the work and friends lined up to help. Where I live the roads are little country roads. There's only 2 stop signs with cross streets between me and the rental place, so it's not like there's a lot of chances where folks would be pulling out in front of me, etc. And at 30 mph I have some decent stopping power, no way I would go faster though.

UPDATE: I took the rig back this morning. I had a spare 7-pin plug in my toolbox so I attached it to the trailer. No brakes but at least I got the lights working. Apparently, the trailer was marked "do not rent" but the yard guy went and told the manager that "I was OK with it because I was close by". I said BS, the yard guy told ME that. End of story, the rental guy apologized profusely and promised a discount on my next rental.

* This post was edited 02/27/12 07:15am by BurbMan *

Lagarto_Roca

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, So many things wrong....
2" ball limits out at 5k lbs, rare to find one for 6k lbs, many are only rated at 3.5k lbs.
The receiver hitch on the Sub most likely limits out at 7.5k lbs, without a WD setup….I doubt the Sub could handle the 750-800lbs of tongue weight adequately anyway.
No brakes, no wiring, underrated ball, mount, receiver, and TV suspension…..
Such a short distance to travel, I'd have just driven the skid-steer over to the site instead.

Unfortunately, I see skid-steers (many can be upwards of 9k lbs each) being hauled all the time on 5-lug tandem axle trailers (2” ball, 3500 axles, flat 4-pin harness plug = No Brakes) behind a ½-ton pickup…..I move over and give them a WIDE berth as I quickly pass by.

But more importantly....How'd the Job turn out?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air
1999 Layton 3125 33' 5er

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh heck, the shank and ball being underrated is no big deal. People tow 10,000lb Bobcat trailers with 5000lb Wal-mart shanks every day.

The only retail store where you can get anything better is Tractor Supply, and there isn't always one nearby.

Camping World doesn't even stock heavier shanks in their stores!

The only other place to get a heavier shank, is a trailer supply/repair shop. Those are only open from 8:30AM - 4:30PM Monday - Friday. Good luck getting in there to buy anything if you're a normal 8-5 working stiff. You have to take a 1/2 day vacation.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

LIKE2BUILD

Mt. Zion, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Told my neighbor the story this afternoon as I was loading the bobcat back on the trailer, and he just shook his head and said "welcome to KY."

Didn't you live in Long Island, NY? So you're in Louisville, KY now? Wow, that's a change of scenery. If you're not from the area, and nobody has corrected you yet, it's pronounced "LOU-UH-VUHL". Calling it "LOU-E-VILLE" will get you some serious dirty looks, and quite likely chiding, from the locals.

Rental places are notorious for things like this. I keep an assortment of draw bars and ball sizes in my truck at all times just to be prepared. Also, I have gradually transitioned from the hollow, Wal-Mart shanks to the solid, forged style. I figure it's a lot better to have a shank overrated than to be underrated.

It would have been worth the little bit of lost time to find some place that sold 2 5/16" balls and put that on instead of risking the trailer with no brakes or lights. I'm glad you made it okay but that had the potential for some serious disaster under the wrong conditions.

KJ

'02 Jayco Qwest 324G
'04 Chevy 2500HD CrewCab |6.0L|2X4|4.10:1 | Eaton Posi-Trac
Curt MagnumV receiver
Eaz-Lift Hitch with Reese Dual Cam
2000 Crownline 205BR
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (12, 6, & 4)
1 forgiving wife!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2