RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Battery Blow up

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > Battery Blow up

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Gulfstream 8378

Pleasant View

New Member

Joined: 02/02/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/26/12 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am new to the RV world and had a house battery blow up today. If the converter is putting out to much power can it be adjusted? I had it hooked to shore power. It is on a Gulfstream 8379 coach. What would cause this to happen? Any ideas before I get ripped at a dealership.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

Senior Member

Joined: 11/18/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/26/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My initial guess would the terminals were reversed. That is to say ground went to positive and Positive to ground. You can check converter to battery output with a simple volt meter. Should not be more than 14 volts D.C.. There are certainly more knowledgable folks here than I am. Can you give us more info? Was the battery newly installed? Hope no one was hurt.


Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

jwmII

out west

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/26/12 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to go along with the shorted diagnosis. Probably 1 cell shorted and that is enough to blow the battery when the charge is steadily put to it. The H2 builds up and it goes. Very dangerous.


jwmII

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

Senior Member

Joined: 12/17/2003

View Profile



Posted: 02/26/12 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blowing up a battery is usually a sign of an internal short which causes overheating until the hydrogen gasses blow. Usually preceded by a smell of sulphur from the battery compartment.


2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population


CA Traveler

The Western States

Senior Member

Joined: 01/03/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/26/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could have just been a defective battery. Buy a $10 digital voltmeter and post the charging voltage with the next battery.

Post the converter type and model.


2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob


Mustang7370

Washington State

Full Member

Joined: 12/10/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/26/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So did it blow up, like KABOOM! Or did it swell up and leak all over? When you are connected to shore power, most units will overcharge the battery if left plugged in for days or weeks on end with no loads. It is important that the battery water level is checked on a regular basis. As the battery charges up, hydrogen gas is created and is very explosive. Disconnect from shore power if you plan on storing or parking the RV for long durations of non-use. Disconnecting the battery and storing it in a dry location is not a bad idea either. When connected to shore power, check the voltage on the battery with a meter. It should run around 13.0-13.5 volts. If it is pushing 15 volts, you have a converter issue which needs to be addressed.


Chris and Kelli Withers
Ferndale, WA.


rv2go

Fulltime (Knoxville, TN).... or someplace else

Senior Member

Joined: 12/26/2000

View Profile



Posted: 02/26/12 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 6 year old chassis battery blow up while parked at my site. Sounded like a shotgun blast. Blew one side completely off. I hosed down the area with lots of water. Replace both batteries and all was well.


Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos


Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2003

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 02/26/12 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup - I had a battery explode in my Jeep many years ago, in the garage. Got in to go to work one morning and as soon as I turned the key to start the engine I had an explosion under the hood. Two cells were shorted and when I drew the starting current from the battery it was enough to cause an internal spark and "BAM"!


----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

fcooper

Richmond Hill, Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 09/23/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/26/12 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that most likely a shorted cell. I had one blow up on a houseboat connected to a 3 stage charger. Replaced the battery and all was well. Just the luck of the draw. Not a bad idea to check the charger but I'd bet it is fine.

Fred


Fred & Vicki
Richmond Hill, Ga
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor/Freightliner/330 Cat
2000 Honda Odyssey toad w SMI Silent Partner braking system
TST507 TPMS

bdpreece

Woodburn Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 05/27/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/26/12 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One cell shorted causes a low over all voltage which tells the charging system to charge the battery at a high rate. This causes the battery to overheat and boil or in some instances even explode. I smelled what I originally thought was sewer gas in my coach but when I opened the battery compartment steam was pouring out of on of my house batteries. I was lucky I got it disconnected before it blew.


Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > Battery Blow up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS