RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Value of a convenient overnight CG

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Value of a convenient overnight CG

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco25E wrote:

One way to look at it is Hotels along the highway do not charge less for just a quick over night. Why should campgrounds do it.

Just my 2 cents.

Same point I made a few pages back. CG's and hotels charge "by the night". Why are they going to offer a discount to someone just staying overnight when that is what the rates are based on to begin with? That is why when you make reservations they ask "how many nights?"

It's the ones who get their early and stay until check out that are getting the amenities and a better deal.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Jayco25E wrote:

One way to look at it is Hotels along the highway do not charge less for just a quick over night. Why should campgrounds do it.

Just my 2 cents.
Hotels have to clean the room once it has been occupied.
RV's are self contained nothing to clean up. No beds to make or bathrooms to clean. One unit pulls out another pulls in. This is based on an electric only no water or sewer overnight site.
I understand full service sites need cleaning but an over night site would require much less maintenance

It doesn't matter, they have the same policies as a hotel. Try asking a CG to let you check in earlier or leave later since they don't have beds to make and let me know how far you get with that. Just like with hotels, you might find nice ones that you check in early if the site or room is ready, but they don't have to, and they all want you out by check out time, beds to make or not.

They typically have check in's from 1 on up to 4pm and check out at 11am, despite not having to make any beds.

Bottom line is, hotels and CG's charge by the NIGHT. And if they are charging by the hour, I doubt it's a place you want to frequent.

sh410

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about this:

Set it up like a parking lot that issues a ticket with a time stamp and then you pay for the time in the parking lot. You could also have electric service with pay slot like a parking meter.

cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They don't seem to be in the discount business, do they? Not being an owner I don't know their position. But I did spend an ungodly number of nights in hotels and motels for decades, and seldom failed to negotiate a lower rate than their "best" rate. And rack rate is for the industry so they can claim they're doing you a favor.

I've thought that KOA, Good Sam, maybe some groups I'm unaware of could do as motel chains do. A point system, so you grab a free one every third to tenth stay at their chain or group. And I don't want to hear about their ten per cent discounts.

I'm going to start negotiating and see where it gets me. Still being fairly new, I'm usually happy to get stopped and set up. This will be our third full season, and second with this TT, so I'm much more comfortable and willing to work on the price. Anyone else had experience in this area, negotiating for a lower rate?

'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JayWalker2009 wrote:

CG's and hotels charge "by the night". Why are they going to offer a discount to someone just staying overnight when that is what the rates are based on to begin with? That is why when you make reservations they ask "how many nights?"

An empty seat on a plane, or empty suite on a ship, is lost revenue. They discount to fill space available. CGs can only profit by filling up to the extent possible, seems to me.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JayWalker2009 wrote:

Jayco25E wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Same point I made a few pages back. CG's and hotels charge "by the night". Why are they going to offer a discount to someone just staying overnight when that is what the rates are based on to begin with? That is why when you make reservations they ask "how many nights?"

It's the ones who get their early and stay until check out that are getting the amenities and a better deal.

You guys do't get it. I'm not talking about a full service campground. Ask Western park owner if he charges for pools bathrooms and the like . Ask him does the pool have 24 hour access or does it close overnight.
I am not referring to a full service campground. I don't need a pool bathrooms,grass,fire pit,picnic table or anything else. All I need is a 30 amp outlet and a gravel pad to park on. Clock me in at 9 or 10 and put me out by 8:00 AM. Charge me extra if I stay longer than 8 hours. Charge me extra to dump.
For that matter I don't need a CG at all. A motel or convenience store lot will do. Just provide a 30 amp outlet and I will pay.
Of course if no one likes my offer, I can always park for free at Wal Mart,Cabellas,Bass Pro, Cracker Barrel and the like for free. If it's hot enough I can easily use my genset.
Instead of paying $25.00 for my overnight site I can pay for breakfast,supplies or a camp site at the full service campground once I reach my destination.
If you think $50.00-$65.00 is a good price for an overnight stay there are plenty of CG's available. But if you think those figures are too much like me, than you will continue to seek a better value.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

donkeydew

OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have not seen any armored cars lined up at the rv parks to haul all this easy money away
i don't think most park are getting rich with the cost of land,the improvements necessary (water lines,sewer lines,electricity,roadways,pads and cable) the property taxes,water ,sewer, electricity ,wages and benefits just to name a few plus a very short peak earning period.
i like a bargain also but i like to see the park make a reasonable profit so it will be there next time i want to use it

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure it would be possible to build a new RV park/CG today and EVERY see a positive ROI.

Ones that bought the land for $70K years ago and are able to sell today for many times that for land use only are going to be the winners.

We know CG rates may be $100+ nightly in 20 years. The question is will there be free money in family budgets for vacations then.

Who keeps CG's in business today?

Is it the snowbirds that travel twice a year?

Is it the mega rich with 45' MH's?

Is it the average Bill/Mary who still are making RV payments and CC for fuel?

If it is Bill/Mary then how much hit can they take in family real income vs expense ratio before they stop traveling.

I can stay in a hotel or tent camp if I have a $2000 car to travel in.
I can stay in an RV park if I have a $10,000 (min for cross country MH/RV rig) and that can jump to $100K, $200K, etc to qualify to stay in an RV park with full hook ups.

Hotels have quite an unlimited pool of guest possibilities.

CG's and RV parks have a VERY limited pool of guest possibilities.

This is why more and more CG's are into yearly rental of spots more like a trailer park. We saw this all over the USA last year.

All RV parks I expect would be in the red if they only got fees from RV.NET posters.

Pogoil

Oregon Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donkeydew wrote:

i have not seen any armored cars lined up at the rv parks to haul all this easy money away
i don't think most park are getting rich with the cost of land,the improvements necessary (water lines,sewer lines,electricity,roadways,pads and cable) the property taxes,water ,sewer, electricity ,wages and benefits just to name a few plus a very short peak earning period.
i like a bargain also but i like to see the park make a reasonable profit so it will be there next time i want to use it

Donkeydew has it figured out. "I like a bargain also but I like to see the park make a reasonable profit so it will be there next time I want to use it". Smart and he lives in Oregon Too!

Seems many on here know how to run an RV park, Step up to the plate and open one and charge $10- $15 dollars and see how far it takes you.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

For that matter I don't need a CG at all. A motel or convenience store lot will do. Just provide a 30 amp outlet and I will pay.

Why not just pull into somebody's parking lot and ASK???

Most businesses have some kind of outdoor outlet- if you can survive on "only" 15 amps, you might get lucky!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Value of a convenient overnight CG
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS