|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Pulling wire through outside walls

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jbrowning

Colorado Springs Co.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here. I have a 1969 16' Coachman camping/travel trailer that I have had for about a year now. One of the owners before me has cut off the 7 wire connector and replaced it with a 4 flat wire connector for just brake lights, tail lights and turn signals. I am wanting to hook back up the 7 wire connector and am wondering if it would be quicker just to run the new wiring for the trailer brakes, clearance lights and such or should I try to hook up the old ones. They are still there in the walls because I can see in the front of the trailer where the original ones came up through the floor and then ran to the drivers side and up the wall. I started taking off a little bit of the paneling and and insulation then stopped because I didn't want to get in over my head with this.I am thinking if I start taking off the paneling I will have to take off the closet that is on that side of the trailer also. Is there an easier way of doing this for the time being. What I want to be able to do is have working, the trailer brakes, the 12 volt battery, clearance lights, and of course the brake lights, turn signals and running lights. Because I need to have this all done by the middle of March along with getting the propane lines checked out and have a new axle put on and flipped for more clearance. I only have the weekends to work on this project.

Here is a picture of what it looks like right now.

Thank you
Jim

* This post was last edited 02/27/12 05:36pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 Ltr Extended Cab 4x4
1971 21ft Terry Travel Trailer

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will be quite a bit of work to replace the marker lights because they are wired together inside the wall cavity and,hence, hard to even use as a "fish wire" to pull in new wire. If you have power at the marker locations, I would leave the old wiring in place. The wiring in my '71 had deteriorated not at all when I gutted the paneling and exposed it. I chose to add new marker lights but reused the existing wire. I did pull the ends of the runs to an outside location so that I could run them through conduit to the hitch. I am also doing the same with the brake/turns, taillight, and brake wires. I figure I will have a less complex installation and it will be easier to diagnose any future problems.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a really cool looking rig.
As already mentioned, it you can use the existing wiring, it would be a lot easier. Use a multi meter to check for opens or shorts in the wiring before hooking everything up; but if the lights work now, it should be OK.
Good luck.

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L denied parole! Yeah!

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually only find the wiring that has been exposed to the elements (or mice and Squirrels) under the trailers need replacing.

This was one of the first things I did when I got my new OFF-ROAD 14RT POPUP trailer was to address how the bottom of the trailer was wired from the factory. The trailer lights wiring looked pretty good all bundled together and taped up but the trailer house wiring was really bad. The trailer people just cut a round hole inside of a cabinet and ran the 12VDC wiring thru the hole and it went every which way under the trailer and usually up into another round hole under the trailer up thru the floor into a different cabint.

I replaced all of the under trailer wiring with new 2-conductor marine quality jacketed wiring (Ebay) and used PVC electrical junction boxes (Lowes) under all of the holes that was drilled through the floor and connected all of these junction boxes together using 3/4-iinch PVC flexible tubing. Lowes has all of these PVC electrical items..

Now I have a complete under trailer conduit pathway for all of the wiring with none exposed to the elements. Makes it real easy to pull wires back out and replace for different things... I also included alot of the trailer lights wiring under the trailer floor doing the same thing.

That was about the first that happened to us when pulling our trailer back into the woods on one trip where a couple of those original run cables wiring got snagged by some under brush. Havent had that happen to me since I started using the PVC flexible conduit nicely secured up under the trailer.

Turned out great.... Would be glad to share a couple of emails with you if you like on the subject... Shoot me email from my profile page...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

jimbobea

Central Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have a source of internal wiring diagrams for Four Winds TT's?
I don't want to cut/damage and wiring behind floors/walls as I do modifications.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Pulling wire through outside walls
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS