RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Generator battery charging voltage seams way high...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator battery charging voltage seams way high...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mtnbiker1096

Idaho Falls, ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently bought a Yamaha ef2000i genset to replace our old homelight hg600. Love the yamy so far. I was getting the hg600 ready to list for sale and thought I'd check all the outputs and document them for the prospective buyer. All seamed well with it. I then thought for the fun of it to check the yamy.... It read 19.63vdc in econo mode and 27.16vdc on high!!! I read and re read the manual. I hooked it to my 2 T105's and checked it again. After about 1.5 min the voltage was at 15.5vdc and climbing steadily. I pulled the plug at that point out of fear. The batteries were also charged using a quality charger and checked with a hydrometer. I have never used the battery charging port on a geny but want it to work if I need it. Am I missing something? Or is the genset messed up?

Derek

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably should let the converter charge the batteries. Just use the genset to supply the 120v power to your rv.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
KG7EFA - Extra Class
Kenwood Radios

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, don't use the 12 v outlet for charging, just run the gen set and plug a battery charger into the gen set 120 outlet or plug the RV into the gen set and let the onboard Converter charge the batteries.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Wayne Dohnal

Bend, OR.

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the charging circuit is the same as Honda's, and there's a reasonable chance that it is, the output is unfiltered and unregulated DC. Without a good load, different meters give different readings. Before the current wave of power converters and smart chargers, most plug-in chargers had this same type of output. For comparison, my eu2000i, with eco mode off and a 2.5 amp load reads 27 volts peak on an oscilloscope, 27 volts on an analog multimeter, and 14.2 volts on an RMS meter. It's the RMS reading that counts. With no load, the multimeter reads 30 volts, pretty similar to the Yammy. I'm no battery expert but think if the battery isn't boiling like crazy you're not charging it too heavily. I agree that it's best to use a good charger, but when you're stuck with a dead battery and don't have a charger available, that charging output is pretty darn valuable.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't use the 12V output for battery charging. It doesn't put out that many amps anyways, you'd have to charge it for a week. Just plug your trailer cord into the generator. The trailers converter will do a MUCH better job (unless you have 70 feet of wiring between the converter and the batteries).

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

mtnbiker1096

Idaho Falls, ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for your very informative post Wayne. I prefer to charge with a good charger or converter. It's nice to know that in a pinch for whatever reason I can charge with the genset battery charge plug as a backup if needed. I won't stress now that my genset is wonky. Thanks again!

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year somebody posted about using the Honda DC for equalizing so I tried it with the Honda EU3000i. I never thought to take the unloaded DC voltage.

Battery voltage on "full" batteries rose to the 16s with Eco and the 17s on full power. But once to those voltages, the voltage stayed there not rising any more. It does not take long to get the batteries bubbling, and it worked as an equalize charge of short duration.

So it seems safe to use to charge low batteries. An hydrometer can tell you when they are close to full and then you can stop.

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er
See Profile for Equipment List

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtnbiker1096 wrote:

Thank you for your very informative post Wayne. I prefer to charge with a good charger or converter. It's nice to know that in a pinch for whatever reason I can charge with the genset battery charge plug as a backup if needed. I won't stress now that my genset is wonky. Thanks again!

2x on Wayne's test results showing it safe to use the DC output if required.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unregulated 12 volt circuits are really a poor choice for charging batteries. Best leave that task to a battery charger operated FROM the generator.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Skip. But the funny part is the Hondas say to only use the 12 volt DC output for battery charging.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator battery charging voltage seams way high...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS