|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Camping noob

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
five'er

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may be wrong but isn't the battery disconnect just like a fancy blade style switch? you turn it off and the batteries are now completely segregated from the circut? If you are "Disconnecting" the batteries while the genny is running I'd think that is the problem, they are not getting a charge.. Again though, I'm not 100% but it seems logical to me.

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the disconnect is between the converter/charger and batteries, you aren't charging the batteries. Would be the same if the disconnect is between the batteries and ground.

In my Weekend Warrior the disconnect is between the converter and fuse panel so it won't interfere with charging. Most disconnects are at the battery and will prevent charging.

A poor man seeks riches, a rich man seeks power, but a wise man seeks contentment.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

Stealthowner

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My battery disconnect is right inside the door near the bottom....blade/key-type switch. Up position is off, turn it to the right and it's on. So I assume its between the converter and the batteries, but not 100% positive.

Thanks for the replies! Keep the info coming! It is much appreciated!!

Didn't think we would go down the path of getting a trailer, but we have been enjoying every minute of it! Well worth the investment and these small issues!!

chainegang

connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From our experiance with our Onan 2800 Microlite, you can unintentionally force a shut down when you over tax the output such as several items demanding power at the same time maxing out the generators capacity. The symtom is as you described just before it quit. Surging will take place as it revs up to try and put out more power then back off because it cannot supply the demand then try again with same result then quit. Microwave, A/C or toaster have been the culprit in our dry camping experiance. I think this part of your issue is isolated from the no start problem. Your dead or low battery situation has me leaning towards others opinion that the cut off switch should be in the ON position in order for the house batteries to be charging while the Gen set is operating. You stumble on that possibility when you said you got home after not being able to turn the gen set over to start and at home you flipped the cutoff switch to ON after plugging in. At that time you were getting the needed juice to start your gen set from your shore power.

Stealthowner

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hadn't plugged it in yet last night but was able to turn it over and the batteries did have some juice. Weird....

chainegang

connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not surprised that you did get some power from the battery. That's what I would expect from a good battery. They do recoup minimal amounts of power even from a recently dead condition when the battery is still has usable life left. As a further explanation on the effect of the cut off switch on your circutry. That feature is to eliminate any parasitic draw from your house battery drawing down your battery when in storage for long periods of time. A parasitic draw, in the event that is a new term to you, is one which even thou all your trailer appliances are shut off, some can still draw power to keep them on standby. or to keep providing power to eluminate displays like a clock face, or temperature control ceiling exhaust fans. In the case of the fan, the thermostat has a built in sensor that draws power even with the fan portion shut off. That's why some models have a positive OFF selection to shut down the sensor. Sooo... my take is that you are setting your cut off switch to off at the inappropriate times. It should be left in the on position even when you are plugged in or using your generator for power. That's the only way that I can think of by the description of your issue, that any recharging of the battery is going to take place.

Stealthowner

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I checked batteries without generator running and they were at 11.9 and 12.0....plugged trailer in and will check again soon

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Battery switch should keep the battery connected while in use.
Can you post the brand and model of the converter that charges the battery?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

hoss1045

Central Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the others. The only time to turn off the battery switch is when you are not plugged into shore or not running the gen, and are storing for a long period of time. I also agree with the surging issue is overloading the gen. Keep the lights off and power demands down, even if your running the gen. Gen's are made for emergency (dry camping)type situations, not to run full power. If you want to run flood lights and tv's and stereo's along with the A/C then you will have to continue to take your big gen.
Don't give up, keep RVing!!!

2007 GMC Yukon XL
2004 Fourwinds 25' HTT
Go BUCKEYES

Stealthowner

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the more I read the more I realize that running the generator should be during the day a few hours when dry camping to maintain battery health. Unless of course it is super hot and I want to run the AC to cool down the trailer.

I am going to recheck the batteries tomorrow after having the trailer plugged in for 24 hours (leaving the battery switch ON of course). Can't believe I have been doing the opposite all this time.....ugh....

To hoss1045, now that we have been out half a dozen times already this year, we are hooked! Even if its for 24 hours, its like a mini vacation!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Camping noob
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS