RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Recommendations in a Direct TV dish. Follow up question

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Recommendations in a Direct TV dish. Follow up question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 10:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out new post at bottom of page 2

I have four Direct TV HD DVRS in my home. My plan is to take one or two with me in my camper. I assume that other than the cost of a dish there should be no additional charges.

The question is what type of dish to buy. I want a dish to automatically set itself up and lock into the satellites.

Should I get one permanently mounted on the camper roof or get one I can mount outside the camper on a tripod.

If I get a roof mounted model I will have to pay to get it installed, there will be another opening where leaks can occur. There are concerns about theft, I am not allowed to store my camper at my house due to HOA rules and will have to rent a space a few miles from my house. With all the things that can be stolen in the camper I am not sure if a dish will be a prime target but a carry out dish can be removed and stored at my house. If the dish is roof mounted I need worry about parking in a spot with an unobstructed view, but a tripod can be located away from obstruction.

Some locations such as an interstate rest stop or Walmart parking lot may not have a good place to mount the dish or run wire. Also if I go with roof mounted I can have the TV on in matter of minutes but setting up a tripod can take a ½ hour or more.

What brand or manufacture Direct TV compatible automatic SAT finder dish do you recommend, and how should I mount it?

* This post was edited 03/13/12 10:43am by silvercorvette *

2010 Dodge 409 CI diesel long bed dually crew cab B&W hitch, 95 Gallon Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER , Central vac, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, Rotochoks, TST Tire monitor.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 11:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and if you don't get the one that mounted on the roof, then you have to find a place to store it when traveling, another pain in the---

ploiselle

South Shore, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 04:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want HD, take a look at Winegard's SK 3005. I had one installed about a month ago at Creative Coach in Lakeland, FL. Turn it on and the antenna does the rest. Great picture.

Most antennas do not receive HD. Look at the antenna's specs carefully.

Paul

41' MountainAire (MADP) -Spartan- Cummins 350 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Brake Buddy - CoachNet

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

and if you don't get the one that mounted on the roof, then you have to find a place to store it when traveling, another pain in the---

AND plan on parking in the sun in most cases.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 04:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

and when you are parked under the trees you can always move it to a location where you can get decent reception. If I was doing it over I would buy one of the small portable automatic ones. but yes, you have got to have a place to carry it. they do make a truckers mount that will go on your rear ladder so you can put it up there out of the way.
bumpy

az99

Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 05:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second on the Winegard Traveler for DirecTv HD. It only takes an hour to install. Once installed I doubt a thief is going to spend the time trying to remove the dish rather than steal the whole trailer. One button setup is great when setting up camp in the dark or rain. But cost of $1500 scares many away.

rvarner

Pahrump, NV, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brobox wrote:

For easy of use, will work with your HD DVR's watch one, while recording another channel my choice would be the Winegard Traveler roof mount. Push a button, open a cold one and your watching TV. Not cheap, but neither was my RV.

I agree. Thought I'd save some money this year on buying it in Quartzite but, it turned out to be the same price as the net. Mine is Dish but about the same price. Guess I'll be putting up my Dish 1000 antenna on the tri-pod pole for awhile longer.
Richard

2002 Itasca Horizon 36LD/2008 Xterra/DEMCO Xcali-bar/Ready Brake
FMCA 394912

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For easy of use, will work with your HD DVR's watch one, while recording another channel my choice would be the Winegard Traveler roof mount. Push a button, open a cold one and your watching TV. Not cheap, but neither was my RV.

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

dgo1369

Georgetown, TX, US

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's hard to beat the 3005 for ease and efficiency. We set up our MH, push a button on the controls and within a few minutes we have HD front and back. I don't know if you know about DNS but will assume you do unless you say different. If you don't have it and like to watch either east or weat coast feed of the major networks, you won't have that capability unless you take other steps. I have both coasts, both at my house (AND my local stations) and on the road. I don't think you can do it anymore.

If TV is important to you, as it is to me, the 3005 is excellent for HD.

Dennis Osha

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recommend a tripod mount -OR- A combination of roof and tripod mount. Will describe.

First, Which dish (The dish and LNB assembly) is determined by the receivers, HD or Non HD, you get the dish that matches your receivers.

Now, why two of them?

The roof mount is nice, you park, push a button and TV!! But what if you are parked under {Voice of Doom mode} The Evil Signal Eating Tree {/Voice of doom mode} (Like that fake HTML?)

Well,, I put a simple, low cost A/B switch in the LNB line just before the receiver.. If parked under said tree I simply hook up the ground dish (HOOK IT UP FIRST) slide the switch to "B" as in Below, and aim the dish.

When I'm ready to leave I slide back to A as in Above, and disconnect.

For DirecTV you do need to RESET the receiver when you change antennas.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Recommendations in a Direct TV dish. Follow up question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: