|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Utah and Colorado

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 12:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This year we are heading out to a shortened route around the Western States. Our DD is getting married in September so we have to be on the West Coast then. So, we decided to hit Utah and Colorado. I know of many of the parks in Utah, Bryce, Moab, etc. My question has more to do with the roads and issues I might run into with a larger rig. I've seen Utah 12 and it's easily doable. I've also run Hwy 1 along the coast in California so narrow roads and steep drop offs don't bother me. (it might Debi, but that's another post...) Any insight you might be able to provide as well as campgrounds for big rigs would be appreciated. I am 65' with the toad....thanks....Dennis

I am also looking for help with Yellowstone National Park...I have posted that question HERE. I appreciate any info....Dennis

* This post was edited 02/27/12 01:02am by Executive *

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Busskipper

Arnold,Md

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

This year we are heading out to a shortened route around the Western States. Our DD is getting married in September so we have to be on the West Coast then. So, we decided to hit Utah and Colorado. I know of many of the parks in Utah, Bryce, Moab, etc. My question has more to do with the roads and issues I might run into with a larger rig. I've seen Utah 12 and it's easily doable. I've also run Hwy 1 along the coast in California so narrow roads and steep drop offs don't bother me. (it might Debi, but that's another post...) Any insight you might be able to provide as well as campgrounds for big rigs would be appreciated. I am 65' with the toad....thanks....Dennis

I am also looking for help with Yellowstone National Park...I have posted that question HERE. I appreciate any info....Dennis

Dennis,

Take a look at what Mpond did last summer -- a little over the top but the pictures are great and the information is right on -- After that look over 4runnerguy for the best info on Colorado.

BOL, you will be back -- too much to see in the short summer you have planned.

BOL,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You shouldn't have too much of a problem on any of the smaller highways as we went to Zion and Bryce two years ago and towed our 26' enclosed trailer on hwy 12 down through Cannonville and Fruita area. The only place we were not able to go was through the Mt. Carmel tunnel as they wouldn't let me through with the length. Even when we have gone through flat towing the Jeep they made us unhook going through the tunnel.

Ruby's Inn has a nice campground that is Big Rig friendly and a great location for visiting Bryce NP as well as down around Cannonville, Kodachrome basin and Boulder area.

The SW Colorado area is about the same. When visiting Ouray, CO we go in from the north side going through Montrose rather than up hwy 550 from Durango. Roads are good and not any narrower than anywhere else we have been.

Mike.

2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you miss the "million dollar" highway(US-550) from Ouray to Silverton, you have missed the most scenic road in Colorado. It is doable in your rig, as we have done it in ours, N to S, however it is more pleasurable in the toad....

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info everyone...@The Texan I did that "tour" several years ago, but I had the kids and driving a 745I so it was a pleasure...very beautiful road...Dennis

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most routes in Colorado, that are major highways should be no problem for you. One exception would be Colorado route 82 from South of Leadville to Aspin. I believe it is limited to 35 feet overall length due to sharp curves. Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

RckyMtnVia

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mountain Views RV Resort in Creede is a great base to tour SW Colorado and a great campground on the Rio Grande River: Mountain Views

Tiger Run RV Park in Breckenridge is a great location to tour the mountains around Vail, Keystone, Copper Mountain and Beaver Creek:
Tiger Run

Portal RV Resort is a great base for Moab: Portal RV Resort

For Bryce and Zion, we stayed at the KOA in Cedar City and it was about 30 to 40 minutes drive to each park.

You may want to consider Bridger, Montana as a base for Yellowstone. It is a great little cowboy town, with two reasonably good rv parks. It is only a few miles to the north Yellostone entrance. We stayed at Rocky Mountain RV Park, and there were elk just outside the post and rail fence of the park.

All roads to parks are easily accesible for big rigs.

2013 Winnebago Via 25T
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Occasionally)

JetAonly

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because of mining, logging and ranching you will find heavy trucks almost every where. Switchbacks can be very tight, the ones I've seen are well marked.

Many national forest campgrounds will be to small for you, Heims peak in CO comes to mind.

That said, I would take time to see Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, Bridges NP, Arches NP Colorado Monument. The Delores River is a nice drive, too. Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Grand Mesa. If you go over McClure pass you will be near Marble and down Avalanche creek to see where the Washington National marble was quarried. The narrow railway bed is along the creek and you can still see where it slid off the rail cars into the creek. In the NW corner is Browns Hole now called Browns Park , Robbers roost also the upper end of the Green river. There is also Dinosaur NP near Rangely.

On your second day....:-)

You might be a little late for Peaches, but I would check in Palisades near Grand Junction. Pssst don't tell anyone how good they are. For that matter if you like corn on the cob Olathe Sweet corn there, too. Green River UT has the best melons I've ever had.

Enjoy.

2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An interesting stop near Hanksville is Goblin Valley State Park. They have a campground (no hookups) but even if you don't stay, it is worth wandering through the "Goblins"

Jon Vermilye Travel & Photo Web Pages ... My Collection of RV Blogs & Journals
My Travel Journal - Jon's Journeys
Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park, MT

driveby

Vancouver BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as for Yellowstone Fishing Bridge will be nasty tight but doable I"d recommend Grizzly in West Yellowstone.

I'm 35'

Fishing Bridge:

Grizzly back in:

and before somebody comments on my parking skill, Grizzly had 5" of snow on the ground when I parked. Couldn't see the edge of the site

2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Class A
1997 TJ Sahara, hard and soft tops and AC
Held together via Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar and stopped by US Gear Unified Brake system.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Utah and Colorado
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS