RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Dawn Dish Soap for Fleas?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Dawn Dish Soap for Fleas?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone used Dawn Dish Soap (blue) for getting rid of fleas?

30 years of owning dogs and I have NEVER had fleas.
I arrived in Florida a few months ago and now my dogs have fleas.

The Vet here said it is the worst year they have ever had. The price I and my poor dogs now have to pay for wanting no snow and warm weather I guess.

I have tried numerous natural baths soaps because I have a seizure dog sensitive to chemicals and none have worked. Vet suggested Dawn Dish Soap. Anyone have any luck with this? Tks.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will work, but then most "soapy" shampoos will do the same thing. You will still have to use a "flea comb", and get them out. We keep a little dish with soapy water, and drop the fleas in that,then dump that down the toilet after the bath.

Part of the solution, is to de-flea the area. We use a dust ("Flea Marshall" I think?) on the carpets...and a yard spray (applied after the dogs are back in the house for the rest of the night).

It will take a while, but you have to keep at it....but you can get ahead of them.
Good luck

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wait...we're having one of those "worst years we ever seen" for ticks too!

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuggs wrote:

Just wait...we're having one of those "worst years we ever seen" for ticks too!

I hope not!! I left Georgia to head to Florida after I saw my very first tick ever there.

I guess there IS something to be said about our Northern states. The long hard cold winters do work to keep the bug population down.

Agghhh, I am so bummed about this.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a bag of "Food Grade" Diatomaceous Earth at a Farm Supply Store, Pharmacy or Natural Foods Store. Runs around $7.00 and lasts for a very long time.

I've used it for years on our dogs, and learned about it from my Grandpa.

**Do not get Diatomaceous powder from a pool supply store..it has added chlorine in it for keeping a swiming pool clean.**

Rub it thru the dogs fur like it was baby powder, especially the belly area. It's so safe you could actually eat it, and it's even used by MD's to de-worm people and de-worm farm animals by vets.

Made from fossilized shells of pre-historic microscopic water bugs.

It is so fine that it will clog the breathing vents on the fleas, and get in between their leg joints...they can't move or breath, and it also is a dessicant than drys the moisture out of their bodies. Kills the larvae and eggs too, so it breaks the fleas life cycle. You can sprinkle it in the pet's bedding and on the carpet too.

I repeat, it is harmless to you and the pet. Just wash your hands and use a hand lotion, as it will dry your hands a bit too.

Works on cockroaches, ticks, halts ants in their tracks and bedbugs too.

This is what a microscpoic Diatom looks like..no wonder it wreaks havoc with bugs!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just about any soap will kill the fleas. The surfactant effect weaken the carapace of the flea and they dehydrate or suffocate and die. The thing is these products (including flea shampoos) have virtually NO residual action. That means that fleas jump back on in hours after a shampoo. That's why treating environment, using growth inhibitors and ovacide products along with repellants to prevent reinfestation is necessary for control.

Doug, DVM

Doug & Sandy
Jill (12yr old Golden)
Henry our camping cat
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Get a bag of "Food Grade" Diatomaceous Earth at a Farm Supply Store, Pharmacy or Natural Foods Store. Runs around $7.00 and lasts for a very long time.

I've used it for years on our dogs, and learned about it from my Grandpa.

**Do not get Diatomaceous powder from a pool supply store..it has added chlorine in it for keeping a swiming pool clean.**

Rub it thru the dogs fur like it was baby powder, especially the belly area. It's so safe you could actually eat it, and it's even used to de-worm people and animals by vets.

Made from fossilized shells of pre-historic microscopic water bugs.

It is so fine that it will clog the breathing vents on the fleas, and get in between their leg joints...they can't move or breath, and it also is a dessicant than drys the moisture out of their bodies. Kills the larvae and eggs too, so it breaks the fleas life cycle. You can sprinkle it in the pet's bedding and on the carpet too.

I repeat, it is harmless to you and the pet. Just wash your hands and use a hand lotion, as it will dry your hands a bit too.

Works on cockroaches, halts ants in their tracks and bedbugs too.

Wow, thanks. There is a store called Tractor Supply near here...I am on my way to see if they have it. Thanks again.

Quote:

Posted By: PapPappy on 02/27/12 11:01am
It will work, but then most "soapy" shampoos will do the same thing. You will still have to use a "flea comb", and get them out. We keep a little dish with soapy water, and drop the fleas in that,then dump that down the toilet after the bath.

And thanks for the info that soapy shampoos will work and the comb thing, I didn't know that.
All your help eases my mind a bit about this crisis. Can you tell I'm a newbie at this?

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any soap will do but we prefer to use products that are designed to be safe for our pet to ingest. Some soaps will cause your pet to have diarrhea when they lick the residue off their pelt.

Bonefish

easttexan

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto on the diatomaceous earth, but have never put it directly on the dogs. I always heard that fleas only spend about 10% of their time on the dog. A few tablespoons will dust half your house. Good substitute for boric acid for roaches. Supposedly, it abraids the exoskeleton of insects causing their bodily fluids to leak out.

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any shampoo will work, BUT!! you have to keep them wet and soapy enough long enough. The shampoo/detergent breaks the surface tension of the water and causes the fleas to get actually wet, rather than having a little bubble around them. But it takes massaging in the shampoo and water and keeping it all on them. If you keep the dog soapy and soggy for twenty minutes, you'll end up drowning the fleas on it. This is what I do with very young creatures (kittens) that are infested but too small to treat otherwise. You do have to control the animal's body temp, I've been known to put the body in a plastic bag with the head sticking out to keep them warm.

Have a flea comb handy to catch any that try to escape onto the areas of the head that you can't really keep wet.

With a dog that size you might do well with a warm tub of soapy water and just continuously drench any parts that stick out.

But that isn't going to keep the fleas off, and my experience is that when they are really thick, nothing will. They're so desperate for food that it just doesn't matter when they are really overpopulated. So you're going to want to get somewhere a little drier.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Dawn Dish Soap for Fleas?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS