RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How many stages on a PP 7155 converter?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How many stages on a PP 7155 converter?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I couldn't find this anywhere on their website:

How many stages does the Parallax Power 7155 converter have? I found nothing on their website.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to the specs it's a single mode output. For the same price or less, you can get a 3 stage from Best Converters.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Single stage at 13.8v. But some have an option called T which gives them some time (13 hours ISTR) on start-up at at a voltage in the low 14s. Look on the label plate Options section to see if yours has a T. (not likely)

The 13 hours was considered too long at the higher voltage so the new Paramode version which has two stages only stays in boost for 4 hours after start-up, then drops to 13.6v.

I kept the 7355 as the converter for when on shore power, and use a portable 40amp smart charger for fast charging with the generator when camping.

Others have swapped out their single stage converters for fancier converters, but must also do a lot of work to replace the original converter to battery wiring with fatter wire, so the new converter will do any better than their old converter did.

To avoid the re-wiring, you can leave the 7155 in place and mount a new converter up close to the batteries with short fat wire to get good amps with the gen, and you can use either converter as your shore power one.

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er
See Profile for Equipment List

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. I'm thinking I am going to go with a portable 40A charger. Any brand recommendations?

Also, would there be issues running the charger while I have the converter in use as well? The generator I have can easily handle the wattage from both at the same time (40A + 55A, so about 1140 watts.)

This partially explains why my OEM jar got boiled away in four months. That, plus the fact that I deep-discharged it one too many times.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a really good one, maybe the best:
http://boatandrvaccessories.com/VEC-1093DBD.htm

You can plug the rig into the gen and plug the charger into the gen and clamp on and run both at the same time. ( If the charger won't run, start it first and then plug in the rig and so the 7155. Might happen or not -doesn't matter it is not an "issue")

They will not add their amps much, so in effect all the work will be done by the charger at its higher voltage (14.8 vs 13.8). Once the batteries reach 13.8v no amps can flow from the 7155, and it will reach 13.8 very quickly.

Since the batteries only charge at net amps, if you have 5 amps of 12v things running in the rig while charging you will be charging at 35 amps and take longer gen time. So if that is a problem, you can disconnect the batteries and let the 7155 run the rig 12v (the 7155 does not need a battery to be connected) while the charger does the whole 40amps into the batteries.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Single stage

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How many stages on a PP 7155 converter?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS