RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: South of San Antonio

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Mountain Mama

N. TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our DD & family live in RGV & we're in N. TX. Austin is about 1/2 way for us both. I'm thinking about meeting them over Easter weekend but they will only have 3 days & we'll have 4,so I'm looking for a place south of San Antonio...somee place that would cut off 1 1/2 hrs for them. Choke Canyon SP is only about 3 hours from them but 7 from us. Can anyone share something between Choke Canyon and San Antonio?

2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Vvvv1010

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For Easter weekend, I would suggest Palmetto State Park...directly east of San Antonio. Neither one of you would have to travel into San Antonio. Really nice, clean, safe, scenic State Park. For DD's family, they are looking at an additional 100 miles from Three Rivers, TX/ Choke Canyon SP to Palmetto SP.

2011 Jayco G2 32BHDS
2011 Ford F250 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2014 Lexus GX460 SUV

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked into Goliad SP, it has lots of history. The park has FHU in one area with lots of trees for shade and pull-throughs. Choke Canyon we only stayed one night as a stop over before heading down to south Texas 5 yrs ago. Choke Canyon is a nice park with W/E hookups, not many trees and I do remember picking sticker burrs out of the dogs paws.

Sharon

Rug

GREED COUNTY, Boerne Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to start calling some of these parks. Remember the OIL FIELD workers have invaded South of San Antonio. They have filled
up just about every RV Park. Some cities south of San Antonio that had no RV Parks now have several.

You might want to try Lockhart State Park. That is if you can not get into some park south of San Antonio.

Good Luck in finding a park.

Glen & Dee Ann

A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is not a whole lot between Choke Canyon and San Antonio, except maybe Calaveras or Elmendorf lakes. You didn't give a town where you were located or what route you would be traveling.

Mountain Mama

N. TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1995brave wrote:

There is not a whole lot between Choke Canyon and San Antonio, except maybe Calaveras or Elmendorf lakes. You didn't give a town where you were located or what route you would be traveling.

We'll probably be coming down I35 from Dallas area but could split off before San Antonio if needed..East or west if it doesn't make it too much out of the way for the kids.

Palmetto shows all booked, but Garner SP had a few sites still open today. I may go ahead and book one of them for the time being and cancel if I must.

WGLT

Victoria,TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might take a look a Lake Braunig RV Resort on the SE side of San Antonio. Never been there, but have seen some good reports.

Otherwise, I might suggest the Rockport/Fulton area. West of Hiway 77(south of SA) is super crowded with oil field personnel. RV site are at a premium in that area.

Wendell
2005 Cougar
2005 Duramax

4huskers

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd check with Choke Canyon; I saw they were doing a controlled burn to clear brush. We were there in January, 2011 and the brush was so think you couldn't see much. On our first trip in December, 2007 the park teemed with wildlife and birds. I got some great photos because the brush hadn't gotten out of control.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS