|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> POI files

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What genre of interest are you wanting to find POI files for? I had found things for camping and related when I first got my GPS at Christmas but have since given up on the GPS method of POI and used my smartphone to locate something, as others have above. Type in the address found on the phone into the GPS and away we go.

This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

donkeydew

OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

low clearance is a good one

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK Im lost. I down loaded "Rest Areas Combined" to my computer and then used POI loader to load it into my Garmin Nuvi 1490. Now what? Shouldnt I be able to go to 'Were To?' and then 'Points of Interest' and locate a rest stop near me or do I have to perform some magic

hpk

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotpepperkid wrote:

OK Im lost. I down loaded "Rest Areas Combined" to my computer and then used POI loader to load it into my Garmin Nuvi 1490. Now what? Shouldnt I be able to go to 'Were To?' and then 'Points of Interest' and locate a rest stop near me or do I have to perform some magic

hpk

If you loaded them with POI loader to your actual unit they should be in the "Favorites" option.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotpepperkid wrote:

Looking for sugesstions for usefull POI files. I went to poifactory and most popular seam to be redlight/speed cameras. There must be over a 1,000 files on poifactory and most seam to be very specialized. File like where are all the Jack-n-Box are located arent of much interest to me. Are there other places besides poifactory to aquire POI file?

hpk

I have a bunch loaded onto my mini SD card for my Garmin that I don't download to the actual unit. What I did was put various POI files and the Related BMP file into a folder called custom POIs with subfolders for various classes of poi and uploaded the main folder to my mini SD card. The following are examples of the various folders and each folder has individual .csv and .bmp files for various things like Sonic, McDonalds, Wendys, BK under "Burgers" etc.:

1. Costco and Walmart. For the Walmart I went into the actual .csv file and make one for the Super WM and one for the regular WMs.

2. Lowes and HD

3. Pizza

4. Burgers

5. Grocery

6. BOA ATMS

7. A file for "Off beat Attractions"

8. Various CGs including one for Military FamKamps and our favorite CGs we like to stay at.

9 Fuel

Larry

Michael in MN

MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supermarkets.

I bought my TomTom in '08 and really wish that it could 'find nearest supermarket'. I don't care what chain, just car about fooood.

-----------------------------
LivinLite Camplite 16BHB
2011 Ford F150 EgoBoost

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I down loaded rest areas. I think it comes with preset alerts whatever that means. I would have thought it would have come with an icon but guess not. I saw icons but not sure how to marry them with the poi file or even if you can with my model gps. Seams they all are different

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Besides rest areas I downloaded "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives" and we look for any on our routes.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the 1490 you will go to 'Where To", "Extras", "Custom POI's' and then you will see the ones you used POI Loader to load. 1490 is like my 1450 and not like the old 350's.

04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy Controller
Wife and myself, Lutheran Deacon, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log

patinlouisiana

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if this is of interest to you but there is a Historical Marker Database
Gpx files of historical markers
There is a section that explains creating POI files for TOM TOMs
We use garmins so I don't know if it works

I never get lost! Someone always tells me where to go!

2012 Prime time Tracer 230FBS Touring Edition
2010 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4X2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> POI files
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: