RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Brakes with Toe dolly?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Brakes with Toe dolly?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Tireman9

Akron, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Figured the Class-A was a good place to ask since more A's are towing than Class-C's.
I can't tow my car 4 down so am looking at a dolly w/electric brakes. Just read a post on another forum where someons thought that Canada and some states require all axles to have brakes. To me this would make dollies useless as you would still need some kind of brake system for the rear tires of the car on the dolly.

This have any basis in fact or just a rumor.

40 years experience as tire Design & Quality engineer with focus on failed tire forensics.

Google "Tireman9" if you want to learn more on RV Tire Safety

vic46

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you are thinking "break away"?

Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

s N s

Michigan / Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the brakes on the dolly are all you'll have to worry about. Some mfr don't even install them on their units which I really don't quite get. Never heard of four wheel braking for a towed vehicle. We've towed alot of miles and have never had an issue.

Steve & Sally
HiTee & Hudson (Our Little Poms)
Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have one but, many like the Acme EZE Tow Dolly. It has hydraulic surge brakes.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In-Tow Brake requirements for Canada vary province-to-province...

Here are British Columbia's basics. I'm including the rules for trailers because I believe that may be where any confusion re. a requirement for brakes on all axles comes in...

Trailer Brake Requirements
Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less – Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.
Gross trailer weight of 1,401 kg (3,081 Ibs) to 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, including a breakaway brake.
Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.
The sole exemption to this rule is for a 3 axle house trailer, in which case brakes are only required on 2 of the 3 axles.

Towing Dolly Brake Requirements
Gross weight of dolly and motor vehicle carried is 1,400 kg (3,081 Ibs) or less.
Brakes are not required on the dolly if the net weight of dolly plus (+) the gross weight of motor vehicle carried plus (+) the gross weight of tow vehicle equals (=) less than the gross vehicle weight rating of the towing vehicle.
Combinations other than the two outlined above require brakes on the towing dolly. Brakes are not required on the motor vehicle being carried by the dolly.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tireman9 wrote:

Figured the Class-A was a good place to ask since more A's are towing than Class-C's.
I can't tow my car 4 down so am looking at a dolly w/electric brakes. Just read a post on another forum where someons thought that Canada and some states require all axles to have brakes. To me this would make dollies useless as you would still need some kind of brake system for the rear tires of the car on the dolly.

This have any basis in fact or just a rumor.

Never heard of any law that required 'all axles' to have brakes. That sounds an awful lot like one of the many 'myths' frequently spread by those that think towing 4 down is the only way there is.

Many states require trailer brakes, yes. The brakes on a tow dolly's axle covers that, and is the reason why you should not get a dolly without brakes on it.

You're right, if it was required that ALL axles had brakes, tow dollies would be 'bout worthless.

Since you're looking for dollies, I'll go ahead and throw out/suggest that you have a look at the Acme EZE tow dolly. One of the lightest ones made, yet can handle a vehicle up to nearly 5,000 lbs. I really like the all welded construction as well, and the surge disc brakes.

On Edit: Ahh, I see from the previous post, that up in British Columbia brakes are required on all axles if trailer weighs more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs). I guess that just means you can't really use a dolly there if the total weight of dolly and towed vehicle is over 6,160 lbs. I'm betting not many people would tow a vehicle that heavy with a dolly, anyway (if you can even get a dolly capapble of handling that much weight).

Will

* This post was edited 02/27/12 03:04pm by willald *

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

In Montana, brakes are required on ALL axles of a TRAILER that is required to have brakes.
The vehicle that is towed on a dolly is NOT a trailer, so trailer brake laws do not apply.

Good point.

Tireman9

Akron, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

In-Tow Brake requirements for Canada vary province-to-province...

Here are British Columbia's basics. I'm including the rules for trailers because I believe that may be where any confusion re. a requirement for brakes on all axles comes in...

Trailer Brake Requirements
Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less – Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.
Gross trailer weight of 1,401 kg (3,081 Ibs) to 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, including a breakaway brake.
Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.
The sole exemption to this rule is for a 3 axle house trailer, in which case brakes are only required on 2 of the 3 axles.

Towing Dolly Brake Requirements
Gross weight of dolly and motor vehicle carried is 1,400 kg (3,081 Ibs) or less.
Brakes are not required on the dolly if the net weight of dolly plus (+) the gross weight of motor vehicle carried plus (+) the gross weight of tow vehicle equals (=) less than the gross vehicle weight rating of the towing vehicle.
Combinations other than the two outlined above require brakes on the towing dolly. Brakes are not required on the motor vehicle being carried by the dolly.

Thanks I will post your reply on the other forum. Interesting to note that Quebec requires three independent brake systems if a tow dolly is used.

* This post was edited 02/27/12 09:40pm by Tireman9 *

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 12:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brakes on the vehicle while on a dolly would be very dangerous since if the car brakes applied harder than the dolly it could pull the car loose which would create a real mess!

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Montana, brakes are required on ALL axles of a TRAILER that is required to have brakes.
The vehicle that is towed on a dolly is NOT a trailer, so trailer brake laws do not apply.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Brakes with Toe dolly?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes