|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Power converter replacment

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In reading about some others' electrical issues, it got me to thinking about replacing the converter in my Komfort. Nothing wrong with mine, but having one with a better battery charging system is very attractive. How do you calculate how heavy a unit you need to be sure you're safely covered? Also, with a good converter in place, should you still use a power filter on the pedestal?

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 55 Year Member

bpounds

Whittier CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

In reading about some others' electrical issues, it got me to thinking about replacing the converter in my Komfort. Nothing wrong with mine, but having one with a better battery charging system is very attractive. How do you calculate how heavy a unit you need to be sure you're safely covered? Also, with a good converter in place, should you still use a power filter on the pedestal?

Lyle

Unless you want to upgrade the wiring, you want to stay with the same output size as your original. Going a size larger is good too, but you'll have to inspect the wiring to be sure it is safe. Larger wiring is a good idea even if you don't upsize, but obviously more work and expense.

A smart converter/charger does not by itself protect you from AC spikes/sags. Whether you want a suppressor is your choice.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post the existing converter make and model, how many batteries and how often you use the generator to charge batteries.
What replacement are you looking at? What are the expected advantages for you?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

thomasmnile

Deltona, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Lyle

I replaced a 55w converter with a 60w Xantrex w/ smart charge. Also replaced the entire power distribution panel(AC & DC) while I was in there. Bought everything from bestconverter.com for $235 3 years ago. They sell all brands including the Progressive Dynamics converter, which seems a popular choice on this forum. Great prices and excellent service.

overthehillbill

Patterson, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced pos WFCO with a Progressive Dynamics 9200 series.
Happy camping now.
Clicky

Bill
'08 Cedar Creek 32TK, 35'9", 13,990#
'01 F-250,Lariat, 7.3L, SC, Auto, LB, JW Towmaster Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP custom tunes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Auto Meter Gauges, Firestone Air Bags. '07 Headlights and Grille, Prodigy P-3.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Power converter replacment
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS