RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Rubber for the road???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rubber for the road???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ford Man

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always had E Rated Marathons and no problems. Some folks on here have had problems with them. They are made in China. Waiting on a 2013 Landmark to be delivered with G Rated Goodyears on it.

hunts500

stockton, calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't mean to quibble with a rocket scientist,but I have seen very little data to support his statement that there have been many failures with G614's. I'm sure there have been some failures, but nothing like the China bombs on all the threads. The Marathons are made in China - the G614's are an American made tire . It is true, however, that your wheels must be rated for 110 psi - which ups the cost considerably if your rig doesn't come with them. Mine - luckily - did.

brentbullets

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless there has been a change lately not all Marathons are made in China. Some are/were made in New Zealand and some right here in the U.S.A.

Ford Man

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hunts500 wrote:

I don't mean to quibble with a rocket scientist,but I have seen very little data to support his statement that there have been many failures with G614's. I'm sure there have been some failures, but nothing like the China bombs on all the threads. The Marathons are made in China - the G614's are an American made tire . It is true, however, that your wheels must be rated for 110 psi - which ups the cost considerably if your rig doesn't come with them. Mine - luckily - did.

Someone must have swapped your tires and wheels out because the Montana Mountaineers do not come with G614's and they are not an option. Only on the Montana Big Sky. I have not heard many failures with the G614's maybe because they are made in the USA.

2006blackmax

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked high and low on numerious threads researching tires, I also have a buddy that has a tire store,he recomended Hercules Tires, I am happy so far.I am running these on my 5th wheel RV. Maxxis also is a good tire but you need to rob and bank 1st.

http://www.herculestire.com/indexUS.html

RV Tires

2006 2500HD Duramax LLY with Allison 6 Speed W /Mods
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 27.5RKS

hunts500

stockton, calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to beat a dead horse, but Ford Man, my Mountaineer came with Marathons, but did have the 110 psi wheels. I changed them out right after initial purchase. I had two blow outs with significant damage to my Cougar TT which had China made Tow Max tires - and I am not about to go through that again if I can help it.

FastEagle

Taylors, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brentbullets wrote:

What tires are you running? Another post got me thinking, I have always ran Marathons on my boat trailers and never had any problems but read here and on fishing forums people hate them. I am buying a 5er and this will be my first camper, it comes with Marathons.

Before you purchase the trailer check the tire placard and see how much load capacity reserves the OE tires have using the GAWR figures found on the tire placard. If not 15% or more, negotiate with the dealer for tires with 15% reserve load capacity above the vehicle's GAWR. They might not agree to a name brand change because of contractual agreements but they surely can go up a load range or two to meet your personal requirements. Make it a deal breaker.

Most owners that increase the load capacity of replacement tires have much better success with them even when they are the same name brand.

The negotiations may not be possible after the papers are signed.

FastEagle

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hunts500 wrote:

You have to go a long way back to find the failures on the G614. It was nowhere near as bad as the Chinese junk, and they resolved the issue a long time ago.

ERS

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 06:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brentbullets wrote:

Unless there has been a change lately not all Marathons are made in China. Some are/were made in New Zealand and some right here in the U.S.A.

A long time ago they made them in New Zealand and Canada. My 2003 Jayco came with a set made in Canada. Then they were made in the USA, then China, then USA, and now back to China.

Sundowner1

Chesapeake, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 06:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run G614's on my 13500 lb Quantum. I ended up with them as a result of a fight with Fleetwood in 2008 when my Quantum was delivered with 6000 lb axles and d rated tires. I ended up with a broken right rear spring, which caused me to fight with fleetwood. The end result was that they sent me 7000 lb axles, springs, wheels and G rated tires. (the tires were China tires, but they lasted 3 1/2 years until I switched to the GoodYear G614's 4 months ago. Am happy now.

Sundowner

2010 Chevy2500HD, Duramax, crew, std bed, 4x4
08 Fleetwood Quantum 325rkts

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rubber for the road???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts