|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
martinandlouisa

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're looking for performance feedback from the 1% of customers that would not recommend the Equal-i-zer hitch to their friends.

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

martinandlouisa wrote:

We're looking for performance feedback from the 1% of customers that would not recommend the Equal-i-zer hitch to their friends.

Good luck.

Most users report excellent results. I have never heard of anyone on this forum report negative reviews to the point where the product was not recommended.

A few years ago there were several reports of "L" arm brackets being bent. However this seems to have been addressed in current models.

I am anxious to here of any reports of "I do not recommend this hitch" and I would be inclined to dismiss them as the hitch was ot properly installed or something was drastically wrong.

Again, I am anxious to here the 1% too.

Thanks

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are with the 99%.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

garry owen

riverton wy

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

We are with the 99%.

same here

never though we'd be in a 99% club

2010 HD Silverado club cab Dura Max FS3000 Weekend Warrior
X2 550 Sportsman 500 Sportsman

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You sure there ARE ANY one percenters? Heck I just bought my second one a few years ago (bought a heavier TT).

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

MyKidsDad

Humboldt County

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I'll put in my 2 cents. Not only would I not recommend one, I'm considering replacing mine. 1200/12,000 model with a long wheelbase truck (160 inches plus or minus) with 7 washers (two of which are thicker than stock) and arms pulled up TIGHT I can barely get pre trailer weight back on the front axle. Every trip requires greasing the hitch head (generally every 500 miles) and a complete torquing of most bolts. The L bracket holders continuously want to walk on the trailer tongue, and the two bolts that hold the L brackets to the L bracket holder continuously work loose. I know I'm equalizing a lot of weight, but the constant maintenance is a drain. And if you don't like using a lot of grease, expect a lot of noise...not a little bit, but waking the neighborhood type of noise, and it doesn't sneak up, once it starts the next turn is going to scare everyone around you. This hitch came highly recommended by the shop I bought my trailer at, and it has been nothing but a disappointment. So was the install; I have had to rework the install several times to get any type of reliability out of the setup, I made it about 5 miles from the dealership on original install before I had to call them to come and tighten everything as it was walking all over the place, and that was with 5 washers. Maybe I have a lemon, or maybe they aren't really designed to transfer as much weight as I am.

The good? There is not a lot of linkages to play with, hook up the bars and done. And I have never experienced ANY sway with this setup; I've towed in high winds and white pavement, as far as sway goes I am extremely happy with this hitch. I just don't like dinking around with it at nearly every stop to make sure it's tight and has enough grease.

2008 Nissan Titan Long Bed Pro4X
Prodigy, Equalizer
2011 Sandstorm 226 SLR
LTR 450, LTZ 400, LTZ 90, Raptor 90
Me, Wife, Daughter, Son

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MyKidsDad wrote:

OK, I'll put in my 2 cents. Not only would I not recommend one, I'm considering replacing mine. 1200/12,000 model with a long wheelbase truck (160 inches plus or minus) with 7 washers (two of which are thicker than stock) and arms pulled up TIGHT I can barely get pre trailer weight back on the front axle. Every trip requires greasing the hitch head (generally every 500 miles) and a complete torquing of most bolts. The L bracket holders continuously want to walk on the trailer tongue, and the two bolts that hold the L brackets to the L bracket holder continuously work loose. I know I'm equalizing a lot of weight, but the constant maintenance is a drain. And if you don't like using a lot of grease, expect a lot of noise...not a little bit, but waking the neighborhood type of noise, and it doesn't sneak up, once it starts the next turn is going to scare everyone around you. This hitch came highly recommended by the shop I bought my trailer at, and it has been nothing but a disappointment. So was the install; I have had to rework the install several times to get any type of reliability out of the setup, I made it about 5 miles from the dealership on original install before I had to call them to come and tighten everything as it was walking all over the place, and that was with 5 washers. Maybe I have a lemon, or maybe they aren't really designed to transfer as much weight as I am.

The good? There is not a lot of linkages to play with, hook up the bars and done. And I have never experienced ANY sway with this setup; I've towed in high winds and white pavement, as far as sway goes I am extremely happy with this hitch. I just don't like dinking around with it at nearly every stop to make sure it's tight and has enough grease.

X2, the re-greasing every stop is annoying. It works good, as advertised but it's messy. I did put a small 1/2" weld near the top of the L brackets and had no trouble with them moving. JMO a Reese would be cleaner.

HTElectrical

Las Vegas

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 12:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 1,400, 14,000 bars on mine and don't have the problems described. After about 3 re-torques or so you don't have to tighten it or check it very often, plus when you do it literally takes about 1 minute max. As far as re greasing goes, you just put a small amount on the bars when you add grease to your ball. Not a big deal. It works great!

2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift, 35" Hankooks
2009 284SA Vortex

Campin LI

Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

MyKidsDad wrote:

X2, the re-greasing every stop is annoying. It works good, as advertised but it's messy. I did put a small 1/2" weld near the top of the L brackets and had no trouble with them moving. JMO a Reese would be cleaner.

I have the 1400/14000 lb model and my L-bracket holder bracket walked along the trailer frame as well. I drilled a hole on each side straight through the bracket holder and through the frame. I added another nut and bolt through that hole and it has never moved since. The nuts that hold the L-bracket on never loosened up again after that either. I think that when that bracket moved, it caused the L-bracket to spin and that motion loosened up the nuts on it. As for the noise, I don't see the issue. So what if it creeks a little at slow speeds. I'm sure nobody in the campground cares either.

Also, is your hitch receiver bent down at all? Also, you may want to consider raising the L-bracket a notch to get more distribution if you need it.

* This post was edited 02/28/12 07:00am by Campin LI *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS