RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
camp-n-family

London, Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 07/26/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/28/12 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll join the 1% club for a couple of reasons. It's a good hitch that does what it advertizes but they are loud and need to be greased regularly to quiet them. Greasing the bars make them messy to handle and gets grease on everything when you remove and store them. I also found that the hitch head rusted easily causing the sleeves that the bars slide into to sieze up. That caused me to break one of the sleeves as I tried to pry the bars out to the side to get them onto the L bracket. The sleeves are cast steel in a size that cannot be found anywhere to fabricate a replacement and Equi-l-izer doesn't sell them, you have to buy a whole new hitch head.

On the upside the customer service is great. After explaining my situation to a rep and sending pictures they agreed to send a new sleeve free of charge as long as I sent them my broken one. They had a few problems like mine and were looking for causes and solutions.

I'm now spoiled with a Hensley Arrow but keep my Equi-l-izer as a backup.


'07 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited
'06 Forest River Flagstaff 26BH(sold)
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
Hitched by Hensley, Viewed by McKesh


atreis

IN

Senior Member

Joined: 08/29/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/28/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the 99%.

The manufacturer sells a plastic thing that quiets down the bars (so that you don't have to grease them). I grease the head once a year - that seems to be enough for me.

Otherwise, I've had no problems with slipping, having to tighten bolts, or anything like that. Just hookup and go for 3 years now.


2009 Trail-Sport TS21RBH
2008 Toyota Sienna


HTElectrical

Las Vegas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/09/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/28/12 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

I'll join the 1% club for a couple of reasons. It's a good hitch that does what it advertizes but they are loud and need to be greased regularly to quiet them. Greasing the bars make them messy to handle and gets grease on everything when you remove and store them. I also found that the hitch head rusted easily causing the sleeves that the bars slide into to sieze up. That caused me to break one of the sleeves as I tried to pry the bars out to the side to get them onto the L bracket. The sleeves are cast steel in a size that cannot be found anywhere to fabricate a replacement and Equi-l-izer doesn't sell them, you have to buy a whole new hitch head.

On the upside the customer service is great. After explaining my situation to a rep and sending pictures they agreed to send a new sleeve free of charge as long as I sent them my broken one. They had a few problems like mine and were looking for causes and solutions.

I'm now spoiled with a Hensley Arrow but keep my Equi-l-izer as a backup.

I don't see how you managed to break the square tube since it is 1/4" steel wall. The other thing is the hitch has a lifetime warranty, so there should be no reason for you to have to ever buy anything for it. I had to replace the rivet that holds the washers on when the the head sheered off. I called them up and they sent me out a new one no questions asked.


2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift, 35" Hankooks
2009 284SA Vortex


HTElectrical

Las Vegas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/09/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/28/12 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

atreis wrote:

I'm in the 99%.

The manufacturer sells a plastic thing that quiets down the bars (so that you don't have to grease them). I grease the head once a year - that seems to be enough for me.

Otherwise, I've had no problems with slipping, having to tighten bolts, or anything like that. Just hookup and go for 3 years now.

X2, except I don't use the plastic sleeve.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 07/26/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/28/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The manufacturer sells a plastic thing that quiets down the bars (so that you don't have to grease them). I grease the head once a year - that seems to be enough for me.


Yes you can buy the pads to quiet it but still have to grease the head and the ball. You can easily cover the ball but the grease on the head squeezes out the sides of the sleeves and collects dirt etc.

Quote:

I don't see how you managed to break the square tube since it is 1/4" steel wall.


I was hitching up on an angle and had to pull the bars to the side to clear the tongue. It split along the edge on the outside top and bottom right up to the pin. The steel sleeves have strength up and down because it is wedged between the hitch head but from the side it is actually fairly soft.(I'll post a pic if I can figure out how)

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2999405570105565374bqkXwX?vhost=rides

Quote:

The other thing is the hitch has a lifetime warranty, so there should be no reason for you to have to ever buy anything for it.


Lifetime warranty is only for the original owner with proof. Mine came second hand with the trailer plus it is very difficult to get service here in Canada. I had to use a friends US address for them to deal with me at all.

Fordlover

Spring, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 12/27/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/28/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm very with my 600/6,000 (my actual tongue weight is closer to 800)

1. It's worked perfectly since 2007
2. I've never had to adjust the settings at all
3. Never retorqued any of the bolts (I might do that before 1st trip this year)
4. I grease mine once a season, if it needs it or not. Mine is pretty quiet.
5. way easier than counting links, snapping bars, or that other junk.
6. Price was comparable to other WD hitches.

Probably put about 8,000 miles on it so far.


02 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4, prodigy and equalizer
07 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK
07 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed, Hauls @$$
and no payments

garry owen

riverton wy

Full Member

Joined: 07/08/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/29/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

atreis wrote:

I'm in the 99%.

The manufacturer sells a plastic thing that quiets down the bars (so that you don't have to grease them). I grease the head once a year - that seems to be enough for me.

Otherwise, I've had no problems with slipping, having to tighten bolts, or anything like that. Just hookup and go for 3 years now.


good good for us too. have 2000 miles on these slides and they still look new. here is the link. no noise or grease with these.
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/inde........s_id=66&zenid=v23q2btjhfc99thjdhpjqvpeh5
really greasing the ball its self would apply to any brand hitch. the ball works the same on all hitch set ups................

* This post was edited 03/02/12 11:03am by garry owen *


2010 HD Silverado club cab Dura Max FS3000 Weekend Warrior
X2 550 Sportsman 500 Sportsman

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 07/26/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/29/12 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

greasing the ball its self would apply to any brand hitch. the ball works the same on all hitch set ups................


True, but with the Hensley to ball never gets uncoupled and the bars stay attached all the time so the grease is always contained

dewatkins

Dallas Texas

Full Member

Joined: 11/22/2011

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 02/29/12 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I would not really recommend the Equal-i-zer hitch to a friend. I have had it on two trailers and I have had sway on both now it is not even working as a WD hitch I have tried turning over the bars to make sure they were not bent. When I traded in my old trailer for the my new trailer an RV mechanic installed the hitch and adjusted it and told me the reason the anti sway did not work was because the two nuts on the head were to loose on the bars. I drove the new trailer about 3000 miles and still had sway. I just took the trailer out on a 400 mile each way trip, before I left I raised the friction bars up one hole and was having problems with the truck drifting when I got to the campground I noticed the front of the truck was high. I adjusted the bars back down for the trip home and it did not help. I have the 14000 lbs weight with 1400 tongue weight hitch with trailer weight under 12000 lbs and about 1100 lbs tongue. The hitch is the worst one I have owned and I have been towing Travel Trailers for 30+ years. Another thing I can not keep the bracket/bars from walking forward on the trailer frame I have made sure the brackets are straight and tightened to the correct lbs/sq.inch and another thing the ell pins that hold down the bars keep bending and I need to replace them about every 2000-3000 miles. I am running out of patience with the hitch and this summer I will be towing about 10,000 miles and do not want to put my trust in the hitch I have lost all faith in it. If I can come up with the money I am going to buy a P3. I have towed with everything from and '78 E250 to a dually F350 right (bought mainly to try a 5er) now I am towing with an 2011 F250.

dinnrbellmel

NE PA

New Member

Joined: 03/28/2011

View Profile



Posted: 03/01/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i'm in the 1% mainly due to the bracket "walking" issues previously posted. My hitch requires constant attention.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS