|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> How to convert to LED lighting

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Next
Sponsored By:
NetBoy

Portland, OR

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I think some of you will be interested in how I converted my RV lights to LED.

I initially tried 12 volt LED bulbs about 5 years go, and they were not satisfactory: they were expensive, didn't put out much light, and failed within a few hours due to over-heating problems. But now the technology has advanced significantly, and the current state-of-the-art multi-LED panels are truly amazing. I have converted every light in my Class C (even including the porch light, the range hood light, and the cab dome light) by retrofitting the existing fixtures with this technology. Basically I replaced each standard bayonet based incandescent bulb with a panel containing 48 SMD LEDs, arranged in a 6x8 array. These panels are available on eBay for less than $3 each including shipping -- you can find them by searching for "48 SMD White LED Light Panel".

The photo shows a typical light fixture after conversion. I just removed the incandescent bulbs and stuck the LED panels to the fixture. The panels come with double-backed foam tape on the back so they will self-stick, but I found the adhesive doesn't hold in the long-run, so I added a few dabs of silicone adhesive to the corners of the panels.

Many of the newer RV light fixtures use #921 wedge base bulbs, and the LED panels mentioned above come with an adapter for those so wiring is simple. Most older RV light fixtures (such as mine) use #1156 bayonet base bulbs, and there is no adapter included with the LED panels for those. So I cut the wedge base adapter off the wiring for the LED panels, and just soldered the wires to the appropriate places on the light fixture's bayonet bulb sockets.

How do these LED retrofitted lights work out? After about 8 months of use, I can say without reserve that they are FANTASTIC. Each panel puts out WAY MORE LIGHT than the incandescent bulbs they replaced, and they only use one-sixth the power (as measured with my digital amp meter: LED panel = .25A; incandescent bulb = 1.5A). Their published life is 20,000 hours and up. I have installed about 50 of these LED panels between my rig and my friends' rigs, and so far zero failures.

I even converted one of my florescent fixtures to this technology. I removed the twin 16 watt florescent tubes and the ballast, and pasted in 6 LED panels in their place (I added a toggle switch so I can use the LED panels 3 or 6 at a time). That light is great -- instant on, no flickering, and way more light than before.

Best wishes.....

PS: (Added on 3Apr12 edit) Check out the Red LED light I added on April Fools Day - details on Page 9 of this thread:

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width to avoid scrolling.

* This post was last edited 04/02/12 07:30pm by NetBoy *   View edit history

NETBOYâ„¢
---
Visit Netboy's Camper Project's Page = Lots of mod projects to my truck and camper.

My newest rig -- 2004 Thor Chateau 21RB:

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wish I had known you were retiring a florescent fixture..... I would have traded you it whole for one of my spare 2 bulb units I have in a box...

If you plan to retire the twin 18" 30 watt jobby, I'll trade ya a regular 1141 style base twin bulb unit for it , or you can have the wedge-based unit that it will replace .

* This post was edited 02/27/12 07:13pm by JoeChiOhki *

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good job! I have replaced many of mine with the warm white 36 1210 LED panels. I have had a few failures where 3 of the 36 LEDs failed. This only reduces the light by 8%, hardly noticeable. Certainly makes good sense.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

clinthia

Flathead County, Montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could you please show your florescent conversion? Are these the lights you purchased?
Thanks, Clint

2007.5 Dodge 3500 4X4 Crewcab with 6.7 Cummins
2004 EC950 w/ slideout
2 Costco 6 volts
Yamaha EF1000IS
Kyocera solar panel
GO POWER 300 watt 12 volt PSW inverter
TorkLift tiedowns with Fastguns
Timbrens
Homemade bumpstops
The Schnauzers Madeline & Genevieve

NetBoy

Portland, OR

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

clinthia wrote:

Could you please show your florescent conversion? Are these the lights you purchased?
Thanks, Clint

Hi Clint, yes, those 6x8 panels are identical to most of the panels I bought. You will want to buy the ones where the LEDs are yellow when not illuminated -- these produce a beautiful warm white light.

Last summer I also bought some 6x6 panels (36 LED), and in fact those are what I used when I converted the florescent fixture because that was all I had handy. Here is a picture, with the diffuser removed:

This is my main light fixture, located in the center of my ceiling. I am really loving this light.

I left the original rocker switch in place, but used it to toggle on/off three of the panels, creating a "two level light". For the main power I added the red switch, which is push on/push off.

Somebody asked why I tore apart a perfectly good florescent light. The answer is that these LED lights are better in all aspects -- LED lighting is the wave of the future.

For the florescent conversion, I had to extend the wires on 4 of the 6 LED panels (connections are soldered, and insulated with heat-shrink tubing).

Later....

* This post was edited 02/27/12 10:03pm by NetBoy *

nstate

usa

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for a great post/review. Just to clarify, the lights that Clint linked too are the right ones? I have been considering this for a very long time. For these prices, I think I could afford to buy enough to convert the entire camper.

NetBoy

Portland, OR

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Soldering Tips: Many people are afraid of soldering. It is really quite easy, as long as you have a basic understanding of the technique. Here is a good youtube video about soldering: Soldering Basics

On the incandescent fixtures I converted, I soldered the wires from the LED panels to the fixture's #1156 light sockets. In fixtures that are not new, the socket will normally have some oxidation on it. Solder will not stick to oxidation, so to get a good solder connection, it is critical to clean the surfaces down to bright metal. Sandpaper is one good way to do this.

Once clean, heat the spots where the wires will be attached with the soldering iron until they are hot enough to melt solder, and pre-tin those places with solder. The trick is to get the work hot enough to melt the solder.

For wiring and electronics, always use Rosin Core Solder.... not Acid Core. Radio Shack is a good place to buy solder.

Have fun....

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When buying solder for electrical/electronics work, ALWAYS use 63/37 Alloy solder.

Radio Shack calls it "precision solder".

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great job on your retrofit. LEDs are definitely the way to go. I recently retrofitted all of my lights with LEDs, too. I like your idea of using silicone adhesive. My LEDs came with velcro tape. They seem to be holding up well so far, but I have doubts once the temps here hit the 100s. I put 7x3s LEDs in my overhead lights, 7s in my reading lights, and two LED puck lights in the dinette area.

LED Retrofit and 12v Outlet Installation

2011 Wolf Creek 850N/Polar Cub/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Morningstar Sunsaver PWM CC
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Hellwig Big Wig Rear SB/Torklift Talon Tiedowns w/Fastguns
2011 Jeep Compass w/4x4 Package
US Navy Ret.
My Truck Camper Adventures

Don & Linda

Western PA / Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NetBoy, Nice and neat job. Great advice to others. I also see you used H/Shrink tubing on the florescent conversion. So good to see someone take pride in their workmanship. Thanks for taking the time to share. Don

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> How to convert to LED lighting
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS