|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> ??? adding weight to the rear of RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wayne60

Cleburne

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 31.5 ft. 2005 Pilgram bumper pull RV. Thinking about building a rack on the rear to haul a ATV. Machine weight about 500lbs plus rack.

Has anyone done this? Concerned that is will be too much weigh on the rear and make the trailer bird dog. Any other concerns I should know about?

Thanks for you input.

Wayne
Cleburne, TX.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd be more concerned that it might make the FRONT end to light. Light tongue weight means unstable towing.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

LIKE2BUILD

Mt. Zion, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt TT frames are design to have that much weight hanging off the back. Betweven the ATV and the rack you'll easily be over 600#.

I would say either put it in the bed of the truck or get a rack that goes over the bed.

KJ

'02 Jayco Qwest 324G
'04 Chevy 2500HD CrewCab |6.0L|2X4|4.10:1 | Eaton Posi-Trac
Curt MagnumV receiver
Eaz-Lift Hitch with Reese Dual Cam
2000 Crownline 205BR
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (12, 6, & 4)
1 forgiving wife!!!

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is someone on here, who built a rack that goes over the top of his TV, and he can pack 4-5 ATVs on the truck.....looks like a auto hauler

I'd worry about that weight on the back end....it's one thing, to haul a genset back there, but you're talking 2-3 times that weight!!

maybe one of those lock on trailers that would hold the weight of the ATV, but allow you to store it back there. Not sure how they really work, but think I saw one use behind a MH once......and since it locks at two points on the RV, it will back when you do.....but you will probably go through a lot of tires on it, as I don't know how it's set when you turn....maybe swivels?
HERE is a video

Not sure what it will add as far as weight, but should be better than mounting on back of trailer as you suggested...

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

4thesporty

DFW...Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well hey neighbor!

I have nothing to contribute, but I couldn't believe I see someone from my hometown, although now transplanted to Burleson.

2012 Jayco 32bhds
1994 Chevy K3500 DD/TV
Equalizer 1400/14000
Maxbrake

kayco53

bc

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A guy can strengthen the frame etc. But I would be worried all the weight at the back would make the tongue weight to light. All the frames I have seen or repaired would have been to lightly built to hang the weight back thee.

2007 GMC 2500hd
2011 Creekside 23RKS

JBarca

Dublin, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wayne60 wrote:

I have a 31.5 ft. 2005 Pilgram bumper pull RV. Thinking about building a rack on the rear to haul a ATV. Machine weight about 500lbs plus rack.

Has anyone done this? Concerned that is will be too much weigh on the rear and make the trailer bird dog. Any other concerns I should know about?

Hi Wayne,

That is too much in the back. It will hang several feet behind the camper. You can end up going really low on tongue weight that can create a real issue with TT sway. And you may end up overloading the rear axle of the camper even if the main frame can take it.

If you really want to see how this will negatively affect you we need some actual scaled weights and dimensions from your camper now. Need all these, not just part of them.

Need scaled TT loaded GVW.
Need scaled TT loaded tongue weight.
Need scaled TT axle weight.
Need TT Axle GAWR from the Vin sticker.
Need scaled weight of the ATV
Need GVWR of the TT

Need distance from tow ball to center of the 2 axles. (equalizer pivot point)
Need distance from center of axle to center of axle. Some of the Pilgrams had spread axles.
Need distance from tow ball to the rear wall of the camper.
Need distance from the rear wall to the end of the new added frame.
Need left to right distance of the ATV in width
Need the main frame size of the camper

I can do the math to show you this is a not a good thing to do if you really still want to investigate this further. It is just too much weight hanging off the back of the camper.

Try the truck bed approach providing the truck can take the weight.

Hope this helps

John

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To add to the above...the weight of the load on the rear is a bad enough factor, but you'll get a bouncing motion which adds even more stress and strain to the rear of the trailer frame...doubling the weight action on the rear frame member.

That's why the vast majority of Travel Traiers and 5th wheels have exclusions written into the warranty specifically saying not to modify the frame in any way. Even tho yours is out of warranty, it still shows that it ain't a good idea.

Trailer frames are matched to the load and length of the trailer with very little if any engineered extra weight load ability. It's called "minimaly engineered." Welds start popping, frame members begin to crack, floors and walls of the RV start to pop loose.

Your truck bed, on the other hand...is made for this!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing that will happen, you will add the 500-600 pounds to the rear as everyone has noted. You will remove approximately 90%-100% of that much from the tongue. That will equal 1,000-1,200 pounds added to the axles. You can, and most likely will, overload the axles when fully loaded to go.

2014 Ram Laramie, 3500, Crew Cab, Long bed, 4 x 4,Dually, Lights & Siren!

2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As John Barca says, you will be overloading the axles on the trailer even if the frame would take it. I would agree the 600 pounds is going to be the minimum. Due to the leverage involved, this will be 1000 pounds or more added to the axles. You most likely have 2 axles. That is 500 pounds each, and 250 pounds per tire. Take the trailer to the scales now and get individual wheel weights and you will see that you will most likely be overloading tires. That is a sure way to have very high failure rates.

To give you an idea of the effects of this leverage, I have a 32 foot fiver. I have problems with not enough pin weight. One of the worst things for me to do is go on a family camping trip with the water tank full. It overloads the spring on the right rear by 100 pounds. Now if I put two Honda generators, two spare 30 pound propane tanks, and a chainsaw with a gallon of chain lube in the front storage compartment, I am no longer overloading any wheel position, even though the total weight on the axles has increased. The thing tows better too.

Knowing this now (I have finally gotten all of the data within the last couple of trips), on future family camping trips where we will have full hookups, I will put about 5 gallon of water in the fresh water tank and fill the holding tank for the shower half full (it is all the way up front).

ERS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> ??? adding weight to the rear of RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS