|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Harley tie-downs for Hydralift

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mark2005

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all , anyone have a Harley electraglide that they tiedown on a Hydra-lift.
I recently purchased a used one and installed on my coach...i am struggling a bit with the rear tie-downs, specifically. It appears that there are very limited possibilities for rear tiedowns and thought i would ask the group about their experience.

Thanks for any thoughts that you may have and a special thanks to Scott (FIREUP) for his advice!!

Mark

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 11:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pics I'm seeing clearly have two tie down points aft of the bike front wheel and back.??? Perhaps you could post a pic of yours.

Hydralift

Vlad's busy workings

All hope is gone

Valkyriebush

Yuma, Az/Chimacum, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 05:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 to FIREUP!

Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mark,
One think I forgot to mention when I PMd you. I don't know if you know of the chock called the "Condor" wheel chock. If not, this is one fine wheel chock for M/Cs. It has an "over center" cradle that essentially locks the bike in the upright position when you drive on to it. I've used in my trailer when hauling the Wing on trips and, you can, with one thumb screw, remove it from the trailer and set it in the garage and use it there without any form of tying it down.

It works flawless. Well, I removed the over center cradle and put it on the Hydralift. Man, does that work slick. Hydralift sells their own "over center" cradle that you purchase separately and add it to the rail on the lift. It's actually 1/2 the cost if you purchase the same exact piece from Condor chock.

Once it's in place, you drive your bike on it and step off the bike and simply start tying it down. One thing you may or may have not already tried is, go to a Harley forum and ask how they tie your same bike down for transport on or in a trailer. You'll get a zillion answers there. Hope this helps some.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Roadpilot

NH Seacoast

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carried an Electraglide on an Overbilt Lift which appears to have similar tie down points.

I used the passenger foot rest as the tie down point. Your rear strap should go to a tie down point on the bike that is closer to the front wheel then where it attaches to the lift. Otherwise the bike can rise off the lift going over a bump. Be sure to use a short strap around the front wheel and the chock.

2006 Millennium Prevost
2013 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond
2009 HD Electra Glide CVO Screaming Eagle - mine
2009 Yamaha VStar950 - DW
Cruiser Caddie motorcycle lift

MarcW

Tucson, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have carried a HD approx 25k miles on a Cruiserlift (similar to the Hydralift in the way it carries the bike) and the only ratcheting tiedowns I have ever used are to compress the forks at the front. I have always kept the rear under control by simply holding the wheel to the ramp by wrapping it thru the spokes and around the ramp with two super duty bungees. This keeps the rear wheel from possibly bouncing up and out of it's track if you hit a big bump.
The forks being compressed with the front wheel held securely in a chock is what is really holding the bike in position and it is not going to go anywhere as long as that is secure.
I do add a second "backup" strap along side of the front tiedowns in case the ratcheting mechanism should fail.

I will also add that I am using a "over center" chock like FIRE UP mentioned. I installed that on my ramp to make loading a 'role it in/one man job' and it is definately the way to go in my opinion.

* This post was edited 02/28/12 08:15am by MarcW *

2007 Monaco Dynasty Emperor IV
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I might mention that when strapping the rear down you will need to raise the bike some so the straps will properly clear the lift arms. I strap the front down, raise the bike and finish tying the rear down. This procedure works well for me. Just remember that when you lower the bike to loosen the rear straps as they will bind on the lift arms as it comes down".

That's exactly what I have to do. The design of the Wing is such that using the rear crash bars/bag protectors is such that, using the types straps that I use, I must do the front, raise the bike about 1/2 way up, then tie down the back. Using 6 tiedown straps makes that bike rock solid back there. Then, when it comes time to off-load the bike, I go down about 1/2 way, undo the rear straps, then finish undoing the front four straps. I thought I had a bunch of pictures showing the bike tied down but, I can't find them. I'll keep looking.
Scott

lclewis49

Las vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a Harley Ultraclassic that I carry on a Hydralift and use the rear passenger pegs as the rear tie down points. I also purchased some mounts that bolt on to the front forks where the light bar attaches from Dennis Kirk and use these as the front tie down instead of using the handlebars. I know others that use the handlebars and it also seems to work well, although if you have the front fairing lowers the front straps may rub against them slightly. I also have the drive on chock from Hydralift and it works great for holding the bike upright until you can get everything tied down properly. I might mention that when strapping the rear down you will need to raise the bike some so the straps will properly clear the lift arms. I strap the front down, raise the bike and finish tying the rear down. This procedure works well for me. Just remember that when you lower the bike to loosen the rear straps as they will bind on the lift arms as it comes down.

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh I get it ,,Where to tie it to the scvooter. I tie around the lower fork tree and shocka making sure not to pinch the brake lines ,, the passenger pegs and you can wrap a line around the back tire and the rail it sits on. Ever since Ive seen them Class A fires on you tube tho I havnt been that anxcious for a lift think I'll just trailer cause if the bike goes I'm stuck up river without a paddle.

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the ones who have one how idiot proof are they? Can you ride off and have the thing drop or dislocate etc.??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Harley tie-downs for Hydralift
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS