|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Navistar MaxxForce 7 diesel engine

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RECVEH2005

Green Valley, AZ, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 11:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking at a couple of new thirty three foot Class A motorhomes that are powered by a Navistar MaxxForce 7 diesel. I would like to get opinions on this engine from those who have experience with it and/or who know anything about it.

Thanks.

Mike

Mike & Donna Scheer
Green Valley, AZ, USA

2013 GMC SRW Crew Cab 3500 short-bed D/A
2013 HitchHiker Discover America 300 FK

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 01:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is International's specs on the engine.

http://maxxforce.com/Application/motorhome/Engine/MaxxForce_7

It seems to be the same 6.4L engine that was used in the Ford trucks, and Ford dumped them in favor of a better design.

My guess is if you get one, you will find it has all the horsepower that the 2010 pickups had. 6.4L V8. You might want to read all about them in some of the diesel truck forums, and they talk about them being much more reliable once they have a coolant filter.

The Maxx Force 9 is a inline 6 cylinder, 547 cubic inches, (9.3L) more conventional, and probably going to last much longer. Yet the Maxx force 9 is 1,400 pounds!

Fred.

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RUN, FORREST, RUN! Youre better off with gas power.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

J Walker

Oakton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was discussed a while back and it was pointed out that the Navistar Powerstroke engine built for Ford was built to Ford specifications with mixed results. The question is what specs will the engines be built to for MHs. This is something that is hard to know and hard to prove but the engines had better be built to better specs than the Powerstroke. I would stay away from the V8 and go with a straight six.

Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks, if one would bother to check, this is NOT the PSD used in a Ford truck, other than the basic block. This engine is Navistar designed and built to completely different specs. Don't malign this engine just because Ford messed with their version of it and screwed it up. Navistar is NOT Ford and has been in the diesel engine business a long time. I would take a Navistar engine anytime, especially over a Ford modified, diesel engine.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

RECVEH2005

Green Valley, AZ, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC: Does one have to add a coolant filter? If needed, shouldn't that be part of the engine as built?

J Walker: In order to get a six (such as a Cummins ISB) I'd have to go to a larger, much higher-priced motorhome.

Mike

Buck62

Charleston, South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RECVEH2005 wrote:

Golden_HVAC: Does one have to add a coolant filter? If needed, shouldn't that be part of the engine as built?

J Walker: In order to get a six (such as a Cummins ISB) I'd have to go to a larger, much higher-priced motorhome.

Mike

Wonder why a Cummins cost more? If you look at the Navistar engine specs all of them require oil changes at a 10,000 - 15,000 mile or 6 MONTH frequency. This frequency is double what other engine manufacturer specifiy, once per year or at 15,000 miles. So your maintenance costs are going to be double compared to a Cummins. Remember you MUST follow the maintenance schedule for maintaining your engine warranty. As someone else said "Run Forrest Run"

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

Folks, if one would bother to check, this is NOT the PSD used in a Ford truck, other than the basic block. This engine is Navistar designed and built to completely different specs. Don't malign this engine just because Ford messed with their version of it and screwed it up. Navistar is NOT Ford and has been in the diesel engine business a long time. I would take a Navistar engine anytime, especially over a Ford modified, diesel engine.

what did Navistar change?If U look and watch the vidio this engine is Identical to one used in the ford truck; Identical

J Walker

Oakton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buck62 wrote:

This frequency is double what other engine manufacturer specifiy, once per year or at 15,000 miles. So your maintenance costs are going to be double compared to a Cummins.

I would be interested to know if the MH version of the Navistar has the six months oil change interval. My ISB in my MH has one year or 15,000 miles but the ISB in a Dodge pickup is a more frequent change interval (don't know exactly what it is). The difference I believe is that deeper oil pan and more oil capacity in the MH version.

Texas TC

Corinth,Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 4 years and 47000 miles with a VT365, predecessor to the MaxxForce 7, I made a command decision to stay away from V8 diesel engines in my new coach. I love my new Cummins ISB engine. The V8 VT365 gave me fits with turbo and injector issues. I got to where I was leery of traveling in the coach wondering what would happen next with the engine. I actually found the Gulf Stream part of the SuperNova I owned to be more reliable than the International portion. If that coach had been equipped with the DT466, I would probably still own the vehicle. IMHO, V8 diesels should be confined to pickup truck applications and not used in motor homes.

2011 Journey Express
2011 Chevy Texas Edition Silverado 4X4 Extended Cab (In Tow)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Navistar MaxxForce 7 diesel engine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS