RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Towing behind a Tow Behind?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing behind a Tow Behind?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
CplDevilDog

Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all, first post (Did not see a specific Intro forum but I'll head over there once pointed in the right direction)

Is it possible to tow a small trailer (i.e. for a motorcycle) behind a 5th wheel or, more likely, a Travel Trailer? I saw the Toy Haulers but as this will be my "fulltimer", I'll need that space for tools, supplies etc.

Thanks

p.s. I plan on hanging around for awhile. My background is Carpentry, Construction and Remodeling so if you have any questions I'll do my best.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd love to pull my boat behind my Jeep behind my MH, but Oregon won't allow 2 trailers (couplers) for recreational use. California will,
So much for our "united" states !

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 400 watt inv, 2 12v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a Dodge GCV, or a Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

JoeGood988

S.Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mainly on the East coast, it's illegal to tow something behind a fifth wheel or trailer...19 states is illegal...others have restrictions as in total length, seperate braking system & additional insurance cost/rider if allowed. Many do it but you'll get a host of pro/con on this subject....If I see a triple tow, I'll pull off the road and let them get way ahead of me...I feel unsafe being behind an accident waiting to happen.

2003 3330 Jayco Legacy

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Process of deletenization

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your states laws to see if it's allowed. It is allowed everywhere I go, I've done it for years, and it is safe if you are set up correctly.

Make sure you have someone that knows what they are doing custom fab the hitch setup. Mine cost about $300 and has held up since my 5er was new in 2002.

JoeGood988 wrote:

If I see a triple tow, I'll pull off the road and let them get way ahead of me...I feel unsafe being behind an accident waiting to happen.

I'll be sure to wave as I drive by.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

CplDevilDog

Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeGood988 wrote:

If I see a triple tow, I'll pull off the road and let them get way ahead of me...I feel unsafe being behind an accident waiting to happen.

Reminds me of a post I saw on a Motorcycle Sidecar forum. "If you get a sidecar without a 3rd wheel brake, go ahead and crash yourself into a ditch before you hit somebody."

Not a safe situation huh?

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as I know, it is illegal in PA.
BUT, you might want to verify that.
Good luck.
It IS legal in Montana, and accidents are very rare.
I guess it isn't all that unsafe!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some states allow it and many others do not. check your local laws so you know what YOUR state says on the subject. Two things can be BAD on a travel trailer. First many don't have the necessary frame strength (most of them will fall into that category) and many others are marginally too light in the tongue so adding more weight to the rear exacerbates that problem and it can cause instability when towing. AT LEAST be sure you weigh your trailer tongue to be sure it's a minimum of 10% of the ACTUAL weight of the trailer with the second tow hitched up. One final thing is you should NEVER EVER use the bumper to attach the hitch. The bumper will still be attached to the front of the second trailer when they drag it out of the ditch (or perhaps remove it from the grill of some other motorist)
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

2inAlabama

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skip has given you some excellent advice. JMHO

Just DH & DW

NewestGuy

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 03:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're just getting back into a TT after some time without and like CplDevilDog (BTW thanx for serving) I'm going to be looking into my MC trailer behind the TT (picking it up in about 6 hours) until I sell the scoot. I'm wondering if anyone has seen a summary of related state regulations. I know I'll have to research myself, but looking for a starting place. After talking to a MT Trooper I know that one reg here is the "dingy" must have electric brakes hooked up and operational. I've not seen problems with these rigs on the road and I'm very safety conscious and aware (taught MC safety for years).

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing behind a Tow Behind?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS