RV.Net Open Roads Forum: The book says wait 500 miles before towing anything.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The book says wait 500 miles before towing anything.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just follow what the maker says to do and I have no issues. It is really that simple

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

kaydeejay

SE Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 04:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is not a black & white issue!
Will your axle fail if you DON'T wait 500 miles - probably not!
Will your axle never quit if you follow the instructions - no guarantees!
It really comes down to tipping the odds in your favor (plus of course looking the dealer service tech in the eye and saying "Yes I did follow the instructions if you ever have a problem during warranty).

Keith J.
1999 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver.
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC/SB/DA 2WD, LLY with LBZ air cleaner, 52 gal Titan tank, Bilsteins, Line-X, Westin steps, Prodigy, Retrax cover, 16K Superglide, 5th-Airborne pin-box, Multi-vex mirrors, TST TPMS.

kaydeejay

SE Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVUSA wrote:

You could have a Detroit true trac differential installed and tow immediately. It's all about the clutches used for limited slip, or not having any in the true tracs case that says whether you need to put some miles on the rear end or not. Ring and pinions use heat treated steel.
Sorry, going to disagree. ALL pinions and ring gear need to be treated carefully to start with. Locking diff or otherwise does not matter.

RVUSA

Orlando, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could have a Detroit true trac differential installed and tow immediately. It's all about the clutches used for limited slip, or not having any in the true tracs case that says whether you need to put some miles on the rear end or not. Ring and pinions use heat treated steel.

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVUSA wrote:

My understanding is different. That it is about the gears needing to break in together, no matter the type or manufacture of the traction aid.

I noticed in my old GM truck manual that break in was required, whether or not the vehicle had the locking differential (in this case the Eaton G-80) or not.

A buddy had a Detroit True Trac installed April, 2011....the differential gear shop, told him to do a 500 mile break in, with the differential.

* This post was edited 02/29/12 09:21am by Lessmore *

Paul Clancy

BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I waited the 500. Last thing I want is a howling diff.

t?m

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I called the dealer. They said nothing special needs to be done other than wait 500 miles before towing. I asked about the rear diff oil and he said it was not on the maintenance schedule. I couldn't find it in the book myself. He said that it isn't a bad idea to change it every 50,000 or so miles.

scottew71

Oregon OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2012 F150 FX4 manual says no towing or cruise for the first 1,000 miles. The maintenance schedule also says no differential service for 150k for the front and the rear is lubed for life no maintenance required. That is on page 457 of the owners manual i downloaded.

Scott, Betty,Natalie(DD). 2008 Rockwood Roo 23SS 2012 F-150 Super Crew Ecoboost Max Tow

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

What harm is done waiting to 1,000 miles.

Try it this way.

Dump the oil and filter at 250 miles.

Then again at 500

Next 1,000

Before you tow, replace the rear diff oil.

Replace the transmission's outside filter at same time.

You will not be disappointed.

No, but you will take a big hit in the wallet for all of that unecessary oil changing. As others have said, follow the maintenance schedule and you "won't be disappointed".

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The book says wait 500 miles before towing anything.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS