|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Rebuilding my 1981 Sunline 17.5SB

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wickedfun

sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put 2 small computer fans above my heater, I think they are 2 1/2" .16AH, that shouldn't be a battery killer.They are on a switch by the bed if they bug me but I haven't tried them for any length of time. Besides what do Californians know about cold weather.

Its kind of ugly but at least its not aerodynamic.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mking wrote:

Very nice restore you have going on.My neighbor has a 1972 24 or 26ft Avalon that he wants to sell me for $800.I keep telling my D/H it would be a great project for me and her.I figured I would maybe spend $800 or so on the complete restore.I'm going too show her these pics of yours and maybe she will let me purchase it.Good Luck on finishing it.
I worked on my deer hunting partner's Avalon, it ended up to be a nice trailer. He still uses it for hunting. They are built very well, good metal frame and wood studs so are easy to work on. I insulated and recarpeted the floor, one year, and that really paid dividends, made the camper a lot cozier.
If you want some newer amenities, a tire or two, and if the Avalon needs water damage correction, you might rethink your budget, $800 is probably not going to get it done. Maybe UPbldr and I will be comparing notes about costs at some time but I bet he has a pretty good bit of $$ already spent. I know I do.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Windwalker55

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great thread. This gives me hope for my project. I'm doing a 1959 Century. Still in the cutting, gutting, and dumping phase here.

2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

U.P. BLDR

Upper Peninsula of Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hilandfrog wrote:

Over all I'll have what I want at a price I couldn't pay for a custom unit and a level of workmanship that I'll never be satisfied with.

Repo

Adds up fast doesn't it! But I agree, could never buy anything factory that will be as efficient, well insulated and cozy as my old Sunline. It's the perfect rig for the way I camp.

My original budget was $1200 including purchase price, but I am pushing $1400 now and will most likely end up with around $1800 when done, but I'm splurging on a few things not originally intended. Found a nice 15' awning complete for $50 and the guy also has a gravity convection furnace for $50 also, score! No more furnace fan to kill my batts. The only things using power now will be lights, almost all LED, and the water pump. I really like these simple old pilot light appliances vs the newer DSI electronic stuff.

1981 Sunline 17 1/2SB - under construction
2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD 4x4 4.7lt

hilandfrog

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

mking wrote:

Very nice restore you have going on.My neighbor has a 1972 24 or 26ft Avalon that he wants to sell me for $800.I keep telling my D/H it would be a great project for me and her.I figured I would maybe spend $800 or so on the complete restore.I'm going too show her these pics of yours and maybe she will let me purchase it.Good Luck on finishing it.
I worked on my deer hunting partner's Avalon, it ended up to be a nice trailer. He still uses it for hunting. They are built very well, good metal frame and wood studs so are easy to work on. I insulated and recarpeted the floor, one year, and that really paid dividends, made the camper a lot cozier.
If you want some newer amenities, a tire or two, and if the Avalon needs water damage correction, you might rethink your budget, $800 is probably not going to get it done. Maybe UPbldr and I will be comparing notes about costs at some time but I bet he has a pretty good bit of $$ already spent. I know I do.

I'm getting close, but haven't tallied up the receipts yet.

New/ used stuff aprox to date.....

Camper- $800
PD 45 watt converter charger- $140
windows, cargo doors, fantastic fan,
Lights, LED, 7 pin trailer plug- $180
Linoleum Flooring- $ 65
Wood, luan, 3/4 ply and 3/8 ply ~$650 so far still little more
4 Tires $450
Wheels bearings, seals and brakes $ 50
welding, new hitch, new jack $175

I'm sitting on about $2500 and a few hundred hours labor in the past 6 months.

I have more $$ on things I'm not considering like new mattresses, curtains, ele wires, switches, 120 inverter, water pumps, toilet parts, propane fittings, outside BBQ stuffs, outside shower stuffs, tools, nails, plumbing for sinks, screws, insulation, roofing materials, brutal tape, paint, putty, glues, random shop supplies, things I'm forgetting and an entertainment systems

I think I'll be under $3500 with purchase price all said and done???

Over all I'll have what I want at a price I couldn't pay for a custom unit and a level of workmanship that I'll never be satisfied with.

Repo

05 Tundra 4x4
1976' SIX PAC, cut to size and function.
$800 1977' Road Ranger, not yet road worthy (AUG '11')

wickedfun

sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I gambling my DW won't see this but I just tallied up our 1966 winnebago I'm at $3200 with more to come but I have a floor plan I like and a tt that matches my camping style. Its also good to know I can goof up and get help (here) to fix it.

U.P. BLDR

Upper Peninsula of Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a roll lately, got the bathroom installed, walls and tub mainly, finished the paneling except for the inside of the bathroom. Starting to get tight inside here now. Next up is the plumbing and building the back bunks and front booth.

It's getting hard to take good pictures with the bath installed.

My layout is simple, 2 beds in back, kitchen & bath in the middle, and L-shaped couch and table in the front (or possibly a booth).

Nothing getting done today, I'm heading out to pick up my awning and furnace.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking good, UP! Hope the furnace and awning work out good for 'ya.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Besides the reward of doing the restoration, we've got to be getting other value too, I'm thinking. First, better insulation in most cases. Even new winter premium units can't over come the physics of a 1 1/2" wall. The mfg.'s play it pretty close to the chest about what's inside the wall cavity but from the bit I've seen, it is better than 50/50 that it's going to be styrofoam.
Second, space, just the intrusion of a hanging closet is too much for me. If you DIY. you can lay it out for whatever floats your boat. Third, price, you can make a beater vintage trailer all that of a fairly new, used TT, if you're willing to do the work and get good materials. I've been looking through my local (and some other places) Craigslist and dealer ads and I should probably have half the cost of buying a used TT that is functional.
Just some thoughts about value but the "priceless" factor, for me, is that I did it myself.

Taurus18

Winfield, KS

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the previous 4 posts. I'm guessing we're pushing $3500 as well, but we have a TT that is a one-of-a-kind custom built trailer that fits us.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Rebuilding my 1981 Sunline 17.5SB
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS