|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> honda companion vs 2000i

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jacksonr

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So my DW (or chief financial officer) has given me the greenlight on a new honda generator. I have done much research and really don't want this to turn into a red or blue or yellow debate. I can't afford to get both now, but plan to get the matching one in a year or 2. I have a 280 Open Range RLS 5th and that 2000i will fit right in the front compartment. I have a 3500 - 4000 champion for the ac and have been extremely happy with it for the last 5 years..just want to upgrade and eventually lose the champion, so I am in that transition mode right now.
So which should I get first and why? Are you able to hook up a 200i to a second 2000i? Also it looks like CW has them at around 1000 - 1200 depending on which one....has any one done better in the last few weeks?

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

first, unless you plan on buying a second Honda 2000 in the future, don't pay extra for the Companion. you can still use a parallel kit to hookup two non-Companion Hondas. and you can always buy the parallel kit with a standard 2000 or get the Companion in the future, if you decide to go that way.

second, forget CW! there are lots of dealers that will sell you a Honda 2000 with free shipping for $850-$899.
Wise Sales, Alamia, Ukiah Motorsports to name a few.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

George H

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd get the 2000i and wait for the Companion. A second 2000i can be connected with either a parallel kit or some DIY expertise.

I was able to take Trailer Life ad to local Honda dealer and match ad price ($200 less than CW), plus have local Honda service.

George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was dead set on getting a diesel generator but listened to people on this forum. I almost got the honda but wound up with a Yamaha.

Suggest price is $3,400, I paid $2,700 plus tax plus $180 for remote start.

I went with the EF4500 for a few reasons, I can use the A/C while I use the microwave, my truck camper will not handle both.

The Yamaha has remote electric start so I don't have to go outside in my skivies to turn it off at night or on in the morning.

I did like the idea of having two smaller generator linked together an only turning on the second one if needed but the smaller ones are pull start and I don't want to muck around with pulling on a cord to start the generator

2010 Dodge 409 CI diesel long bed dually crew cab B&W hitch, 95 Gallon Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER , Central vac, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, Rotochoks, TST Tire monitor.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use 2 Honda2000i with the parallel kit. I like the flexibility. If I need both for A/C or other heavy load I take both. If we go where we won't need A/C I take only one.

At our home the power was off for several days recently. The Honda 2000is worked perfectly to provide power for lights and refrig tv's...etc. I just ran extension cords into each room where power was needed. I ran them for two straight days and until 11PM at night plus a partial 3rd day. We used about 4 gallons of gas.

Like others have said do some internet shopping and negotiating. you should be able to get one for under $1000 and two for around $1800. I paid $1900 5 years ago for the 2 and that included the parallel kit plus covers for both.

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both Wise and Mayberry have excellent prices and no shipping.
The major difference between the Companion and the regular is just the 30 amp outlet built into the companion.When using a companion you only need the small wire set to twin the two gensets.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

jacksonr

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great feed back! See if I can summarize: get the 2000i now and pick up another 2000i later when I can afford it along with parellel kit. Sounds like I don't need to spend the extra for the companion. Hate having to call around for Honda prices tho, lol.

thanks everyone

Martyn

Bennett, Colorado, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the bear II wrote:

I use 2 Honda2000i with the parallel kit. I like the flexibility. If I need both for A/C or other heavy load I take both. If we go where we won't need A/C I take only one.

At our home the power was off for several days recently. The Honda 2000is worked perfectly to provide power for lights and refrig tv's...etc. I just ran extension cords into each room where power was needed. I ran them for two straight days and until 11PM at night plus a partial 3rd day. We used about 4 gallons of gas.

Like others have said do some internet shopping and negotiating. you should be able to get one for under $1000 and two for around $1800. I paid $1900 5 years ago for the 2 and that included the parallel kit plus covers for both.

Wow - it's like looking in a mirror. Your post is exactly what I have and what I do.

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT's & Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
2006 Glastron MX175;
2009 Subaru Tribeca for the DW

aruba5er

Neenah Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don's ever buy the companion. It has a twistlock outlet. Then you need an adapter. Buy the regular one first and then buy another one and the parallel kit. The kit has the jumpers and it uses the regular 30 amp RV plug and has an on/off switch built in. If you look around, and not too hard at that, you can find the 2000i for around 850/875 locally. Keep your money in town if you can. They pay taxes. The internet ones don't.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd go for the regular 2000 first. Saves about $100 initially, and if you decide you don' need the second one, your not out the extra $100. Then, when you need it, buy the companion.

HOWEVER. before springing for the honda, look at the comparable yamaha's. They have some very nice competative offerings. when I got my 2000 about eight years ago, Yamaha didn't have any competative offerings. Now they do and if I had no generator and was looking I'd look at both and see which model best fits your current and future needs.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> honda companion vs 2000i
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts