|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> camping world issue

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garysol

Avon Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And........ as this is your first and only post. Welcome to the forum.

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 CTD SRW, Pullrite Superglide 18k.
2012 Komfort 3530fbh 5th wheel with Ground Control

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what you wrote it would appear the that this particular Camping World treated you quite well. Anyone would be hard pressed to find a dealership that would offer any type of warranty on a 14 year old coach. Most would sell 'as is where is'. Camping World took the unusual steps of clearing up punch list items post sale and multiple times. And then to bend over backwards even further they gave you five grand or just under 1/3 the your listed repair cost. Unless you can show that somehow Camping World's service provided as part of the winterization lead to the engine failure I'm not sure what they did wrong to warrant your posting.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave, since this is your first post welcome to RV.Net! Sorry to hear about your engine failure, $16,000.00 is a big hit in the budget. I drove diesels all my life until I retired, and I don't know how many miles are on your coach, but with proper care and no engine defects your coach should go 750,000 to 1 million miles. I'm basing these figures on my 4+ million mile, 42 year driving career, where I wore out 4 CAT motors pulling heavy loads during that time. From what I read on RV.Net a used motor blowing up in the first 30 days of use is rare. What happened to you is a big reason why I won't buy a used diesel unless I thoroughly know the history of the coach, maintenance etc. My guess is someone prior to you couldn't afford the upkeep or didn't care and ran that beautiful coach into the ground and traded it off. If CW sold that coach to you knowing that the engine was bad then there on the hook for the $16,000.00 IMHO (In My Humble Opinion)! If CW didn't know about the motor being bad, they did a wonderful gesture giving you $5,000.00 You may want to hire counsel ($$$) to talk to previous owners (thru title search) to find out (info.) what they know about the history of your coach! Good Luck, Dave

mguay

Northern NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I can find...your coach came with Cummings power. Knowing what I do...which is limited, I know that it is a rarity for a Cummings to "Blow Up". Don't get me wrong, anything is possible in the mechancal world. If in fact it was catastrophic engine falure.....there are few things that will produce that like something foreign in the engine. Like gasoline not diesel or no oil ect. Looking at it from the outside like others have stated, the $5k they gave you was a bonus. If in fact it was a car that you had bought and this happened, you might have not been so lucky.
The big question is, What is your defenition of Blew Up?
The other question is did you have a Cummings dealer look at it or was it the place you bought it. You might have better luck at the Big Truck shop as that is what they deal in on a daily basis.

2013 GMC 3500 HD Denali CC LB DRW MAX/ALLY
2010 Keystone Laredo 316RL

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can understand being upset about needing to replace an engine, but do not see how Camping World should be held responsible. Many places used vehicles are sold "as is" with no warranty. I would say that they have more than exceeded their obligation and would be saying thank you. But thats just me.
I certainly would not be calling it a "rip off".

Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer toad

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting that this is your first post, obviously you felt that you had to get this off your chest, so to speak. Lots of questions posed by other posters, would be nice if you could perhaps reply to some.

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Help me understand this. You bought a used vehicle. So I assume that the first thing you would have done is take the coach to a diesel mechanic and have him do full maintenance to it, RIGHT?? If that diesel mechanic did not recognize any impending problems, how would you expect CW to know?

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revconeers Forum

johntichy

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Engines do not "blow up" They spin a main bearing, but you would see that in lose of oil pressure. Could have broke a connecting rod, but the chances of it going through the block is slim. To make a long explaination short a Cummins has piston sleaves for ever cylinder, they have three heads, 2-cylinders per head. All of which can be changed out with no problem and they are not that expensive. It's highly unlikely if not impossible your engine blew up.

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, that should have the Cummins right? Hard to believe it just "blew up" without any provocation or warnings. There must be a whole lot more to the story than was related in the first (and only) OP post.

Wonder if he'll come back with more info????

Dick

2000 40" DP Beaver Patriot Thunder Cat C-12 425 HP, 1550 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bluwtr49 wrote:

Yea, that should have the Cummins right? Hard to believe it just "blew up" without any provocation or warnings. There must be a whole lot more to the story than was related in the first (and only) OP post.

Wonder if he'll come back with more info????

My point exactly.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> camping world issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS