|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Another TT/TV Question for Newbie

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bezy

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The family hit the show here in Maryland last weekend and fell in love with the new Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH. We put a deposit(refundable)down to lock show pricing in. I now have serious reservations about my TV now that I've been reading the forums, of course the dealer said it was no problem.

I figured I would throw it out there for community comment to either confirm my concerns or tell me I'm crazy. My TV is a 2010 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 w/ factory tow package Tow limit 8300, GCWR 12,500 GVWR 6900 and Curb weight 5476 making payload 1424

TT is 5385 dry, 610 dry hitch and 7500GVWR.

We would be carrying 2 adults and a 3 year old as well as retriever and standard weekend fare. My thought is I'm going to be over on the trucks payload... 1424-610 dry hitch(I know it's low)-550 for the family= 264 for our stuff.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of good advice from many very experienced rv'ers.

2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
2013 Ford Edge
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is only one category that I"d even advise you watch carefully and that is the tongue weight when it's fully loaded. Assume 15% of GVWR and you've used up HUGE chunk of your payload so you would need to travel light as far as people and cargo are concerned. Otherwise it is a great combination.

For what it's worth, the 150 lb. driver is NOT free when it comes to payload issues. That only applies to maximum trailer weight. EVERY pound your truck weighs counts toward it's GVWR and the payload is simply the ACTUAL weight at any given time, subtracted from the GVWR.

Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TV is a 2010 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 w/ factory tow package Tow limit 8300, GCWR 12,500 GVWR 6900 and Curb weight 5476 making payload 1424#
#### Ok, so tongue weight limit likely 830# on vehicle.
#### If so, 6384# is max TT weight using 13% on tongue.

#### GCWR = 6900 + 6384 = 13,284. Hmmmmm. Might worry a bit there.

TT is 5385 dry, 610 dry hitch and 7500GVWR.
#### Unless you always carry full water and waste tanks (we only carry enough water for potty and lunch breaks while traveling, and we always dump waste tanks before travel) your TT will likely weigh about 6385#. You are ok there, but at the limit.

We would be carrying 2 adults and a 3 year old as well as retriever and standard weekend fare. My thought is I'm going to be over on the trucks payload... 1424-610 dry hitch(I know it's low)-550 for the family= 264 for our stuff.
#### 1424 - 830 (tongue weight) -550 (remember 150# driver weight is usually "free", doubt wife, dog, and child are actually that heavy). Put most of 264# stuff in TT, then payload is ok I think.

You are pushing it, but I'd do it with above considerations. Only GCWR is actually over specs if you are careful.

Congratulations on new toy!

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

You're right that your main issue will be payload but with the numbers you provide you will be fine. Your trailer is similar in size and weight to mine which I tow with a crewmax with no problem so I'll use that as a baseline.

With my family of four plus a large dog we pack on average 1200lbs of stuff in the trailer to camp (and we take everything!)I doubt you'd be that heavy but lets use that for sample purposes. The trailer you're looking at is 5400lbs dry so figure 5800lbs after you add propane, battery and options. Loaded you'll be around 7000lbs but probably less, 500 or more below trailer gross. Assuming 12% for tongue = 840lbs.
1424 payload minus 840 tongue = 584lbs
minus 550 for passengers = 34lbs for stuff

What stuff do you need to put in the truck other than some snacks, toys for the kids etc? All the other "stuff" goes in the trailer.

Quote:

For short trips like 1/2 day drives you will probably be just fine but in my experience I wouldn't take that combination on a multi-day drive, it will seem like work as you are pushing the limits and will likely find yourself underpowered for long term driving.

Not sure if the experience mentioned above is in a 4.6l Tundra but I wouldn't be concerned about a lack of power. The 4.6 (I'm assuming you have from the rating #s you provided)is lower on hp(60) and torque (70)than the bigger 5.7l but it still pulls strong and has more than enough power to tow 7000lbs (1300lbs below max tow). For comparison I towed my trailer originally with an '04 4Runner with the 4.7l which had even less power and it cruised all day long in 4th gear without issue, you'll be even better with tow mode and a 6speed trans.

'07 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited
'06 Forest River Flagstaff 26BH(sold)
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
Hitched by Hensley, Viewed by McKesh

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum. Looks like you are very much on the edge but not over the carrying capacity of the vehicle. Your hitch wieght is likely going to be in the range of 750# or so for the trailer fully packed but you are within the tow rating. With a properly setup Wieght Distribution Hitch you should be ok with traveling as long you are aren't packing everything but the kitchen sink. For short trips like 1/2 day drives you will probably be just fine but in my experience I wouldn't take that combination on a multi-day drive, it will seem like work as you are pushing the limits and will likely find yourself underpowered for long term driving.

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned - you'll be on the edge but will be ok. That's a decent truck to use for towing don't be afraid to "use it".

I'm 400 lb under my truck's GVWR and tapped on tongue weight at 850. My trailer is only 6000 lbs. Going on season three of towing. The Expy hasn't collapesed or let me down once.

Welcome to the club.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

109rfan

ny

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm guessing you'll be fine worst case scenario trade for a new tundra with a 5.7 and you'll be quite happy.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Similarly, when descending a mountain grade or hill. The tranny will "not know" to down shift when necessary and riding the brakes is a no no. Your tranny should be used to control your speed by down shifting to the appropriate gear, brakes for slowing down and stopping.

One of the nice things about the Tundra is it does know to downshift for descending hills. As soon as you touch the brakes on a descent it will downshift and engine brake to maintain speed, towing or not. At least it does on my 5.7, not sure about the 4.6.

E&J push'n wind

San Diego CA, The best climate on earth!

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's good to be concerned and conscientious about what you are doing, safety first of course! Your truck is fine with the TT you are look'n to get. I'd agree with most of what has already been stated. Put everything but the people in the TT.

I say this often to those that are starting out because I believe most people don't consider it. So.., I think your biggest issue will not be the trucks ability to tow the TT safely but rather the drivers ability to do so (speaking in general terms). The truck is capable, one has to learn to use it properly if they don't know how to already. Towing is obviously not like driving on any given day W/O the TT. You don't just put it in drive and go. In most cases and circumstances, that is what you will do. However when it comes to climbing and descending hills, it's a whole nother matter. You've got to know when to manually shift your truck. I think this is where a lot of people get into trouble and think their TV is "struggling" because it can't find the right gear to climb in so it'll "hunt" for the gear. This is when the tranny oscillates between a higher and lower gear back & forth. It's an auto tranny and when it gets to a certain speed, it's programmed to shift up. When it finds it can't hold the higher gear, it'll drop back down to the lower gear and it will sometimes keep on doing this back and forth. This will generate excessive heat in the tranny and they don't like a lot of abnormally high heat, it eats them up over a short period of time. Similarly, when descending a mountain grade or hill. The tranny will "not know" to down shift when necessary and riding the brakes is a no no. Your tranny should be used to control your speed by down shifting to the appropriate gear, brakes for slowing down and stopping.

I know I've said a lot and please forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir but if it's something one doesn't know, then it can be helpful I hope.

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Another TT/TV Question for Newbie
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS