RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Thinking of selling.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Thinking of selling.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Cecilt

Page

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

You have to figure out what your final bottom line. What you will actually sell it for. Then add several thousand dollars to that figure. That's what you would advertise it for.

If it were me, I'd add several thousand to the top retail number given by NADA. Then you have room to come down some and still be above what you will sell it for.

Please don't take this advice. Unless you are a dealer your unit will sit and sit. When selling privately the units that move quickest and easiest are the ones priced very close to what you want. You will get way more interest in your TT if you price it this way. Put yourself in the buyers shoes. You see a TT that you feel based on your research is worth $15k. Private owner is asking $19k. Do you want to offer him $15k and waste your time even seeing it knowing that a PP sale is harder to negotiate to what you want to pay. Remember, some sellers think their unit is worth more than a comparable unit. They've taken great pride and care of it but that doesn't always translate to a unit selling for thousands more. They don't want to negotiate even though logic says it is overpriced. It is just too awkard to negotiate big dollars with a private party. I would price it no more than $1k over my bottom line price. Good luck.

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cecilt wrote:

Atlee wrote:

You have to figure out what your final bottom line. What you will actually sell it for. Then add several thousand dollars to that figure. That's what you would advertise it for.

If it were me, I'd add several thousand to the top retail number given by NADA. Then you have room to come down some and still be above what you will sell it for.

Please don't take this advice. Unless you are a dealer your unit will sit and sit. When selling privately the units that move quickest and easiest are the ones priced very close to what you want. You will get way more interest in your TT if you price it this way. Put yourself in the buyers shoes. You see a TT that you feel based on your research is worth $15k. Private owner is asking $19k. Do you want to offer him $15k and waste your time even seeing it knowing that a PP sale is harder to negotiate to what you want to pay. Remember, some sellers think their unit is worth more than a comparable unit. They've taken great pride and care of it but that doesn't always translate to a unit selling for thousands more. They don't want to negotiate even though logic says it is overpriced. It is just too awkard to negotiate big dollars with a private party. I would price it no more than $1k over my bottom line price. Good luck.

I agree that adding too much above the bottom line one is willing to sell for will scare off some (lots) of potential buyers. But putting a price on it that's too close to your bottom line will lose potential buyers also.

It's almost a given that a potential buyer will offer less than what you're asking. The seller had better have enough room to accomidate the offer and counter offer.

Obviously, you want to ask enough to be able to come down to what you want, but not so low that you leave money on the table.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Badger Dog plus "Ollie"
"The Traveling Koala"
2012 Koala 21CS
2005 F150 Supercab 4x4, w/ 5.4L
And Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway Control

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Fortunately. It is paid for. So what ever I get will go against the new TT. Paid For????? Hmmm. That sounds pretty good huh. Maybe the kids can sleep in a tent.

Yes it does, and yes they can.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

Good luck Terry...we were looking at trading in our camper last year for a MH. The few dealers we talked to would not even come close to what we needed (NADA was pretty much in line with payoff). I would say put a sign on it and put it up for sale for what you think. If it doesn't sell after a while, lower the price some.

Fortunately. It is paid for. So what ever I get will go against the new TT. Paid For????? Hmmm. That sounds pretty good huh. Maybe the kids can sleep in a tent.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

E&J push'n wind wrote:

Just a thought! If the parents of the GB's is able to help out in any way, get the best price you can of course but price it to move quickly and see what they can contribute. It could make up the difference and get you into a new unit faster. That way they have the benefit of being able to go camping with you without having to shell out the full price of an RV and all of you benefit from having the added room. Again, just a thought.

We did think of that. But then. I don't really want to involve them in paying for MY TT. If I let then help pay for it, I then give them some say so over it. I don't want to seem selfis. But, I don't want to see my TT going down the road without me.

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck Terry...we were looking at trading in our camper last year for a MH. The few dealers we talked to would not even come close to what we needed (NADA was pretty much in line with payoff). I would say put a sign on it and put it up for sale for what you think. If it doesn't sell after a while, lower the price some.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Thinking of selling.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: