RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Well I did it. $2,000 hit cab of truck forgot to use slider

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Well I did it. $2,000 hit cab of truck forgot to use slider

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Farmer David

Mattoon, ILL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8 ft. bed stops all this they are made for towing.

2013 F450 King Ranch CC Long Box
60 Gal RDS Tank
20K B&W OEM Hitch
2013 Lifestyle 37IK

RVER

West of Boston, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a short bed truck, superglide hitch and LOVE it !! I can not imagine having one screw hold the capture plate but... Mine has 10 screws in it to hold the plate to the hitch. I would say maybe it would take 10 min to get them all out if that. You need at least the 10 and possibly 12 screws to hold the capture plate on but I have the older type circa 2002.
Well worth the $ about $1500 or more but safety is worth every cent. I have not had a problem getting it to be in 17 degrees of straight to unhook but hooking up there is a little harder to get the angle right but do it.

Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS with lots of goodies
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers and along for the ride is Ketzel the wonder cat.

Ed9824v

Agua Dulce, Calif. 70 mi S.E. of Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVER wrote:

I have a short bed truck, superglide hitch and LOVE it !! I can not imagine having one screw hold the capture plate but... Mine has 10 screws in it to hold the plate to the hitch. I would say maybe it would take 10 min to get them all out if that. You need at least the 10 and possibly 12 screws to hold the capture plate on but I have the older type circa 2002.
Well worth the $ about $1500 or more but safety is worth every cent. I have not had a problem getting it to be in 17 degrees of straight to unhook but hooking up there is a little harder to get the angle right but do it.

the one that use 0ne screw have welded plates on the sides that do not allow the plate to rotate with adjustable shims to fill any gaps. Mine has the 10 or more recessed screws and I plan to weld short pieces around the perimeter and use one screw in the recess of the alignment raised piece on the plate.

Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

2006blackmax

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love my PullRite.

2006 2500HD Duramax LLY with Allison 6 Speed W /Mods
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 27.5RKS

Ofc950

Northeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oldbiker7 wrote:

You might consider the Reese Sidewinder KingPin, then you don't need to worry about a slider.

I have the same. Reese sidewinder it works great never have to worry about clearing the cab again.

Russ p
keystone Cougar
26SAB
2011 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 5.5 bed Eco-Boost
Reese16K-
Sidewinder

Strutter

Home

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a short bed and intend to keep it since its one of the last 5.9 cummins made (2007). i bought it when i had a tag trailer and see no need to waste $ when it only has 60k miles.. No need to buy a new truck. So far I love my super glide. I've only ran into one issue. I went to the sand dunes recently and the hitch got full of sand. Due to the WD40 that was on it as a lubricant the sand stuck.. Fortunatly it was strait freeway most of the way home so the rails didnt get "sanded". I ended up having to take the hitch out and high pressure washing it to get all the sand out.

Bachus

Stratford, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sort of depends on the trailer too I think. I have a short bed with a manual slider, and never used it (the slider part). I can't turn 90 degrees, but probably 88 due to the curved front of the fiver. Usually when I'm turned that tight, I'm doing something wrong. I'd love to have a long box, but with 3 kids I need the crew cab, and living in Canada, it really sucks to have to find a parking spot a million miles from the grocery store in winter.

Dean and Tracy Bachellier
Isobel,Evelyn, and Stuart
2012 KZ Durango D355BHS quad bunk with 5 slides
HiJacker 16K double pivot slider
2011 RAM 3500 SRW Crew Cab 4X4 CTD
"It's five o'clock somewhere...."

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Segel10 wrote:

I hear your pain. After many years and many close calls, I made the $800 mistake that required a new rear window. Did not fix the small dimple on the right from the close call or the larger dimple on the left that broke the window, but ordered the "Superglide 15K - Fits Industry Standard Mounting Rails" from Tweetys when we got home. Liked the fact that it fit the existing rails. GREAT peace of mind! I think it even is easier to back up with this hitch.
Good Luck with what ever you get.

X2 Great hitch! Got mine from Tweetys $812.00 to the door. I think they have gone up about $8 bucks. You would have been $1200.00 ahead at this point.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs-28years
We love 56 T-Birds

Duramax1

BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To all of those who think that you need a slider, I would recommend that you look at any RV sold by Heartland.

Standard bed, no slider...... no problems!

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD DA LTZ
2009 Sundance 2900MK

Alabama_Camper

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi folks! Just wanted to echo what many has stated. I have owned two short box trucks and two superglides. I have to jack-knife my 5er in my drive-way each time I bring it home and have never had any issues. The current 18K superglide I have, I purchase slightly used from my RV dealer...saved about 500 bucks by doing so. It appeared as though it only had been used about 5 times as the original price sticker was still attached to the 5th wheel plate. The most important aspect of the slider is to ensure proper maintenace is performed to prevent premature wear and to ensure smooth operation.

I too like long beds, but chose the Ram 3500 MG for various reasons...but have had no issues with the superglide!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Well I did it. $2,000 hit cab of truck forgot to use slider
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS