RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Well I did it. $2,000 hit cab of truck forgot to use slider

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Well I did it. $2,000 hit cab of truck forgot to use slider

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
garysol

Avon Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to this thread I am getting a 18k Superglide hitch installed into my truck on Saturday. I probably would have cheeped out otherwise.

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 CTD SRW, Pullrite Superglide 18k.
2012 Komfort 3530fbh 5th wheel with Ground Control

rwhite692

Central Valley, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed9824v wrote:

with my superglide I have to be I believe its 15 degrees or less from straight to connect and disconnect. big disadvantage. I can not tow another 5th without a capture plate. and others can not tow my 5th unless I remove the capture plate. It never makes a mistake as I turn and it slides back though. just some ideas.

I bought a Superglide (because, knowing myself and my luck) I knew that I would eventually screw up, and forget.

To me, the small disadvantages as noted above, are far outweighed by the safety factor provided by the Superglide.

2003 Open Road 360RKDS-5
2007 Ford Super Duty CC 6.0 PSD FX4 King Ranch
Pullrite Superglide 18K
Honda EU2000i Twins

rwhite692

Central Valley, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgreengas wrote:

Sorry to hear about your cab. I've got a short bed truck as well and I have a pullrite automatic slide hitch installed. It works just as advertised. I never need to remember to set the slide. Is it more expensive, you bet. But, so is repair to your truck. I would rather pay a bit more money for the piece of mind the automatic slide provides.

^^^^^Exactly.

nelsbells

Southern Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did it 2 years ago in a new park in Texas. Cost the deductable(500)plus insurance went up. Body shop charged 2K to fix it.
Still have slider and a reminder on steering wheel. So far so good.

wildernesshd

Alex.,La.

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moved to a long bed truck 1 year ago, no more problem. I do have a manual slider base I need to get rid of.

2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DURAMAX Allison EDGE EVOLUTION tuner
2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE 5th wheel 4 slides
statements in this post should be considered opinions and not facts

Butch50

Bentonville, AR

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/12 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I have a LB truck CC and it fits in my garage. I have had the SuperGlide in a truck in the past. I now have the 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin. I know why do I need a Sidewinder in a LB. When I ordered my 5er I had a SB. Before the 5er arrived I ordered a new truck and it was a LB. I still like the Sidwinder in my LB as it changes the pivot point closer to a TT so the 5er responds faster and follows the truck tracks much closer than the standard setups. Also when you have things in the bed of the truck and you don't have to worry about the pinbox during a turn hitting these items like you do with a standard setup. I could never put anything around the hitch when I had my Superglide. Just for info no this is not my first 5er. I have had many others so do know how to turn with a standard 5er.

To the poster that told about getting sand on his rails and using WD40. On my Superglide they recommended to use Slip Plate which is a graphite base material.

This is IMO

Butch
2013 Ram 3500 4X4 CC Laramie DRW
Light Metallic Gray with black interior
2012 Northern Lite 10 2 CDSE
2010 Can-Am 650XT Outlander Max
2012 Harley Tri Glide

Ridawing

Suisun City, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my buddy has done both. Once he forgot to move the slide back when backing in a tight fit and blew out his window. Than once his wife was talking to him when he pulled the hitch release lever instead of the slider lever. This time the 5er fell on his truck bed and did damage to truck and 5er. I'm glad I have an 8' bed. Morale of the story don't have anybody around to get you side tracked.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Well I did it. $2,000 hit cab of truck forgot to use slider
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS