|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> A good tow dinghy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bednarski1

Hemet

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the process of buying a new 31' and I'm looking for some good suggestions on a good tow vehicle. I like the Jeep Patriot but can only tow it if it's manuel transmission. Thanks for the input.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeep Wrangler, Liberty, or Grand Cherokee, IF the transfer case has a NEUTRAL position. Automatic or manual transmission doesn't matter.
Subaru, but only with manual transmission.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Westronics

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what it takes to do this or how expensive it is, but my understanding is that vehicles with automatic transmissions can be fitted with some sort of disconnect device that lets you tow them.

Just another option...

2002 Jayco Greyhawk 24SS, Camera, ScanGauge, Inverter, Airtabs, Portabote, SeeLevel II, Tireman valves, Xatnrex Battery Monitor, Aero-flo vent, Trik-L-Start, XPS Rib, Chains, Lil' Stanker, Be kind to septic systems Ford: 1-800-444-3311. RV Tires

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe I just saw an e-mail that this coming months Motorhome Magazine or Trailer Life Magazine will have the annual list of new cars that are towable 4 down approved my the manufacturer.
If your looking used, I like my Saturn Vue.

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 12:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many seats do you need in the toad? Are there pets? Are you intending to tow the toad while having it loaded down with supplies?

If there are just 2 of you then a smart car may work very well. It's a 2-seater with plenty of storage behind the rear seats. The engine is between the rear wheels - covered by a thermal pad and carpet, which can get a bit warm - and may not be suitable for pets in a pet carrier. It's a great run-about car for errands and day tripping. The entire roof is a moonroof. New models have a solid roof option. I do not load my car with supplies when I tow it. It stays at the curb weight for towing.

I bought a 2009 Passion w/ 18,000 miles on it for $8,393 (with trade). Here is a document that I post on the dash when I'm staying at an RV park. I found that it saves me from answering the same questions over and over again. Here is a pic of the car:

* This post was edited 03/01/12 01:21am by gotsmart *

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 04:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you check the Remco Towing Application Charts, they will tell you what a vehicle needs to be dinghy towed.
Let us know what you chose.

Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi gotsmart –

Why would you ever want to lash down the steering wheel of the Smartcar while towing? It seems to me that’s the last thing you should do (unless, perhaps, you find yourself in a position where you need to back up).

ASPENMAN

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honda Fit is a good choice - the automatic trans can be towed with 4 wheels down with very little preparatiion - about 2 minutes and you are ready to go. Also nice and light - less than 3,000 LBS This is what we will be using. Got a Demco base plate, a Demco Commander tow bar and RVi brake system.

BLOGS:
http://rvpainter.blogspot.com
http://art4rvs.blogspot.com
31' Class C NEXUS Phantom 4/4/12
Pressure Pro TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS/Surge

WiFi Ranger Mobile
Cab over entertainment center

Coach-man

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, what are you planning to do in the toad? Are you an off road buff? As mentioned how many people will be riding in the toad? Pets? these are important questions, the weight of the toad will represent loss of fuel millage! Do you really need 4 down towing? When you answer these questions then you can decide what kind of toad you may need! For general all around toad, a Jeep Wrangler is an excellent choice, an extended version will allow room for additional passengers as well as pets and supplies! It can also be used in off road situations. They can add a lot of weight thou, another option is a tow dolly, and any front wheel drive car! No auxiliary lights, no supplemental braking, no tow bar, and base plate! A good tow dolly $ 950, 4 down with the requirements, $3,500! Just a question as to what do you want??

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a 2008 Chevy Colorado 4 wheel drive small pickup. Easy to set up to tow. Has a button on the dash to take it "out of gear" to tow. Does not register miles on odometer. No fuses to pull or modifications except tow brackets. We love it.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> A good tow dinghy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts