|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> A good tow dinghy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bednarski,
There are so many choices out there, but since you specifically mentioned Jeep Patriot, I assume you are thinking 4-wheel drive ability to be more adventurous. We bought a used 2006 Liberty 4x4 automatic in 2009 and find it ideal. As previously mentioned by another, with the transfer case in neutral, it's free-wheeling, very happy to be towed as shown in my signature. It is 4300 pounds so if thinking about it, be sure you have a 5000 pound hitch and your GCWR is under the limit.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 01:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pokey2 wrote:

Hi gotsmart –

Why would you ever want to lash down the steering wheel of the Smartcar while towing? It seems to me that’s the last thing you should do (unless, perhaps, you find yourself in a position where you need to back up).

I don't lash down the steering wheel when I tow. There is a brace underneath the drivers seat that will readily accept a bunjee hook. Lashing it down is more of an "old school" thing. Many retirees are set in their ways. There are those who do things because that's the way their parents did it. I included that piece of info for their benefit - to give them something that they can relate to.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

randrx2

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without a doubt, older Jeep Wrangler 2-door (pre-2006) is the best.
  • Only need inexpensive brackets bolted to front bumper, because the front bumper is strong
  • Towable in automatic
  • the taillights have enough room in them to add a bulb for your tow lights (no diodes needed)
  • the roof comes off, coolest convertible there is
  • the doors come off, again, very cool
  • it's fairly light
  • fairly easy to work on
  • one of the best STOCK off road vehicles out there
  • room for 2, with left over space for dogs, groceries, or 2 more people
  • use it to drive around the campground instead of renting expensive golf cart or pay stupid personal golf cart usage fees
  • It's a Jeep thing!

When someone says, "I'm not book smart, I'm street smart." All I hear is, "I'm not real smart, I'm imaginary smart."

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

randrx2, I agree with you. But for us, when back home we need something more domesticated. If we had a bigger garage and money we could tie up in another vehicle, I think we too would tow an old beat up but mechanically sound Wrangler. They really are ideal for the type of things we do with our tow vehicle on trips. And like you say, take the doors and roof off, and you are ready for some fun.

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sooboy wrote:

For us, our Honda CRV strikes a perfect balance between utility and tow-ability. It takes 3 minutes to get it ready to tow and it's been a perfectly reliable daily driver.
Ditto with our Liberty. There are a few nice choices when it comes to 4x4 or 4-wheel-drive automatics for towing, though I wish there were more to choose from.

Sooboy

Toronto, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we had the space for it, we would almost certainly be towing a Jeep Wranlger for its offroad capability & top-down fun, but I wouldn't want to drive it every day in downtown Toronto. For us, our Honda CRV strikes a perfect balance between utility and tow-ability. It takes 3 minutes to get it ready to tow and it's been a perfectly reliable daily driver.

2012 Jayco Embark TB390
2009 Honda CRV TOAD with Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
FMCA #F413428

teetah

Moses Lake, WA, US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a 2002 Jeep Liberty. Manual transmission and the owner manual has specifics on how to tow 4 down . It's made for this use.

1988 Class C Minnie Winnie acquired in April 2011
NEW TOAD!! 2014 Ford Focus (ok, it's not set up yet, but it will be)
Just runnin' footloose and fancy free

randrx2

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 04:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Domesticated and able to drive in the city? Then the Wrangler is the vehicle! I have done city driving and love it. Since it has a short wheel base it is easy to park and maneuver. Get one with a hard top for security. Also, if it is a little "beat up", you don't care what you park next to and worry about door dings.

deewhite0612

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a Saturn ION 4 door coupe, only because it was an amazing sale when we needed to buy. 30,000 miles for $6000 because line and dealership were closing. A little small on space but works ok. Very economical for sight seeing.

Michael and Daryl (Dee)
Gone RVing
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810 370 HP
2008 Saturn Vue XR V6
Blue Ox Alladin
Brake Buddy Classic

Kit Carson

Bossier City, La.

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a Saturn Vue and have been very pleased with it. Unfortunately, GM discontinued this line.

KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> A good tow dinghy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes