RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Jeep Grand Cherokee Towing Weight Limit

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Jeep Grand Cherokee Towing Weight Limit

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ullr

Park City, UT

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V8. I have read on TrailerLife.com the vehicle has a towing weight limit of 6500 lbs. But that it should have a "Towing Package". No explanation of what this package would be. No information on Jeep.com what it would be as well. The local Jeep dealer is just steering me to the Jeep.com website. (Which is of little help.) Can I safely tow a trailer with a weight of approximately 6,000 lbs Fully Loaded? I need to know the answer to this ASAP! (Gross travel trailer weight is approx. 5300 lbs.)

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doubtful. Bet your tongue weight spec is 650#. Using minimum of 13% your max TT weight is 5000#.

Usually tow package is trans cooler, hitch, and 7 pin wiring, but can't say on your Jeep, sorry.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the link to the Jeep WEbsite and their trailer towing specifications for the GC model. http://www.jeep.com/en/2012/grand_cherokee/capability/towing/
Just be sure you read the ENTIRE thing, not just the headlines
Good luck / Skip

Group IV Trailer towing package
Includes: Rear Load Leveling Suspension, 220-amp Alternator, Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling, 7- and 4-pin Wiring Harness, Class IV Receiver Hitch, Full-Size Spare Tire, Steel Spare Wheel, and Delete Rear Tow Hook. Available on:

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ullr wrote:

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V8. I have read on TrailerLife.com the vehicle has a towing weight limit of 6500 lbs. But that it should have a "Towing Package". No explanation of what this package would be.---
The following is from
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Options

Trailer Tow Group Iv -Inc: 7 To 4 Pin Wiring Connector, Pwr Steering Cooler, Class Iv Hitch Receiver, 7 Pin Wiring Harness, 6500# Max Loaded Trailer Weight, 750# Max Tongue Weight, 64 Sq Ft Max Trailer Frontal Area, 30Ft Max Trailer Length, Plastic Receiver Cover, Under-Dash Provision For After Market Trailer Brake Connector (Req: 2_Y Columbia Edition Quick-Order Pkg Or 2_H Freedom Quick-Order Pkg) (Req: Eva 4.7L V8 Engine)

Does your GC have a factory-installed hitch receiver? If so, what are the ratings printed on the receiver?

Ron

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stick to under 4000 pounds dry with under 400 pounds dry tongue weight.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum. Unfortunitely the answer to your question is not as easy you think. If you are unsure if your vehicle is equiped with the towing package generally the easiest way is to take the vehicle VIN number to the dealer. They should be able to run the VIN number and tell you whether it is already equiped with the package or not.

Another way that might help you determine if the vehicle as built is capable of the load according to manufacturers ratings is to look at the GVWR and GCWR on the drivers door sticker. The difference between these two numbers is the towing capability in theory.

Towing packages vary by manufacture but generally they include the following equipment if not already part of the standard offering. Engine oil cooler, Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler, Hitch, Trailer plug wiring (7 wire), heavier sprngs and bigger brakes

Hope this helps

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, right out of the box there is a problem with the trailer. You stated 5300 pound GVW and 6000 loaded. That is a recipe for bad things happening.

Rule of thumb when looking for a trailer, look for high GVW's and low dry vehicle weights. That way your axles, tires AND BRAKES have a chance.

Don't worry about what the GVW of a trailer is when buying it other than making it as high as possible. Worry about loaded vehicle weights and tounge weights.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gene&Ginny wrote:

I used to have a 2000 Jeep GC w/4.7L V8 and the factory towing option. It was rated to tow 6,000#. My TT Gross rating is 5500# and weighs 5000# on the scale, loaded. (4300# dry for those that have to use that unusable number)---
Thanks for providing what you consider to be an "unusable number".

Some of our members recommend that, if you tend to load "light", you can plan to add 500-1000# to a trailer's "dry weight". If you take the middle of that range (750#) and add it to your "dry weight", you arrive at an estimated GVW of 5050# versus your scaled weight of 5000#.

Looks to me as though the "dry weight" could be a usable number after all.

It's also good to see you didn't load to 100% of your trailer's GVWR.

Ron

Gene&Ginny

North Kingstown, RI

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to have a 2000 Jeep GC w/4.7L V8 and the factory towing option. It was rated to tow 6,000#. My TT Gross rating is 5500# and weighs 5000# on the scale, loaded. (4300# dry for those that have to use that unusable number) The "factory" options included the tranny oil cooler and extra capacity on the rear springs. The tongue weight rating was higher than 650 WITH a WD hitch but I can't recall the exact number.

I recall looking at the numbers available at the time and the factory towing option DID make a difference.

Gene and DW Ginny
2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control
Proud member of the Sunline Club

youth4him

Belgrade, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We towed with a GC at one time, and it was a bit underpowered, but the real issue was the length and the 4x4 rear end. Those trucks are by design, set up for off road, which gives them a bit of drag-ass when you put a trailer on it. I actually had to put airbags in to compensate.

Agreed with what other say here, stick with a lighter trailer than you think you'd need and you'll be happier, push it, and you'll likely find yourself miserable when towing.

KD

Trip of a Lifetime Blog - 12000 Miles, 100 Days, 34 States, 4 Humans, 1 Mini Daschund...FUN!
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - 6.2L, 6-speed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Jeep Grand Cherokee Towing Weight Limit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS