RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Another case of dreaded 2011 Ford 6.7L HPFP failure?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Another case of dreaded 2011 Ford 6.7L HPFP failure?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hoopers

Loveland, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

hoopers wrote:

NewsW wrote:

In general, if you do not have a specific power/torque need you should not buy a diesel.

There is no cost advantage with diesel fuel priced higher, and maintenance in the medium duty truck range.

The diesel cost disadvantage is changing. Down to around 5-10% now. It was at 20%.

I did the math and got this...

Routine diesel oil and filter change $150 to $200

Routine gas V 10 service: $60

Difference in capital cost $10,000 (or more)

If you got 20% better gas mileage in the diesel --- how many miles to make up for the difference @

Diesel (your local price) vs. Gas

There was a time when diesel was much cheaper than gasoline. The reverse situation has only been true for the last 5 years or so? But we digress from the OP's original topic. IMO, diesel is more a case of the right tool for the job. I bought a brand new 96 Ford Diesel and drove it for 14 years with basically no issues.

I do pay close attention to HPFP failures, since I have a 2011 duramax...though I would add the conclusion is FAR from certain. What is true (IMHO) is there are HPFP failures on Ford with Ford denying warranty claims.

It took several years to figure out the 6.0...for example, just recently, there is a lot of blame on the radiator cap for some of the 6.0 issues. Years from now, will we find out many of the HPFP failures were due to something really simple and cheap to fix (i.e, like a radiator cap)???

Today, the fix is a 12000-18000 dollar complete fuel replacement job...I would think there is a muuuch cheaper solution, once the real problem is figured out.

2014 Winnebego Vista 30T
2013 Ford F150 4x4 ecoboost
Texas gulf coast, Colorado, or on the road camping somewhere

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

hoopers wrote:

NewsW wrote:

In general, if you do not have a specific power/torque need you should not buy a diesel.

There is no cost advantage with diesel fuel priced higher, and maintenance in the medium duty truck range.

The diesel cost disadvantage is changing. Down to around 5-10% now. It was at 20%.

I did the math and got this...

Routine diesel oil and filter change $150 to $200

Routine gas V 10 service: $60

Difference in capital cost $10,000 (or more)

If you got 20% better gas mileage in the diesel --- how many miles to make up for the difference @

Diesel (your local price) vs. Gas

Interest rate

Opportunity cost

I just had an oil change done at dealer and it was 79 bucks for my diesel.

Where I Am Now

Amateur Radio Operator KK9W ARRL VE FT DX2000

Steve and Joy
2011 Jayco Pinnacle 35 LKTS
2014 Ford F 350 Lariat Dually Camper Package
Cooper . . . The Aussie-Doodle, Yogi . . . The Yorkie, Cookie . . . The Chiuaiua

Ranger Smith

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Ranger Smith wrote:

If you can get 5 gallons (or thereabouts) of Diesel grade oil and filter and lube etc done for that... all the more power to you.

Normal price is way higher.

Do the math, what does it cost for 5 gallons of oil and filter, before they charged you for shop time?

I am not counting loss leader oil changes like $19.95 advertised prices either!

Well for starters my truck does not take 5 gallons of oil. I'm telling you that is what I normally pay. My Ford 6.0 was 99 bucks at the dealer.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford put out a manual for contaminated fuel warranty denials and then updated the software to log water in fuel sensor lights.

The common causes are apparently... DEF put in fuel (the port is next to each other).. and a lot of water and WIF warning ignored.

The problem is, by tripping the flag at WIF warning --- when operators are suppose to have a decent interval from detection to mitigate the problem --- is patently unfair to even the consciousness owner.

If it is that sensitive, there should be a secondary WIF detection sensor just before the pump that shuts down the engine before water gets in.

Putting the DEF port next to the fuel fill is asking for trouble.

The point is, the bulletin exclude the possibility of a failure by the CP 4 pump.

Quite wrong.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Exactly bad fuel = $6000.00 repair on a brand new truck. If that is the case. Buying a Ford is to much of a risk for me!

10,000 to 12,000, me think.

A $10K repair bill on a brand new truck is absurb unless there was proven willful negligence on the owners part.
A poor design by Ford + a policy designed to avoid the huge warranty claims of the 6.0 = Buy a different brand with less risks involved.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger Smith wrote:

If you can get 5 gallons (or thereabouts) of Diesel grade oil and filter and lube etc done for that... all the more power to you.

Do the math, what does it cost for 5 gallons of oil and filter, before they charged you for shop time?

I am not counting loss leader oil changes like $19.95 advertised prices either!

garysol

Avon Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Ranger Smith wrote:

Thats the normal price at my local Dodge/Ram dealer as well.......

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 CTD SRW, Pullrite Superglide 18k on a picture frame.
2012 Komfort 3530fbh, Sailun S637, Ground Control

Powerdude

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

milsuperdoc wrote:

I was at a ford forum and there's another report of dreaded 2011 Ford 6.7L PSD HPFP failure. Once again, it sounds like Ford denied warranty claim. This concerns me greatly since I'm expecting a delivery of a new 2012 F-350 with PSD 6.7L in about two weeks. I'm seriously considering not taking delivery of my vehicle, and cancelling my order.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1142885-engine-failure-on-2011-ps-6-7-ltr.html

The guy admits he got a bad tank of fuel. So much in fact that he had to drain the filter several times. He kept on driving and hosed his fuel system and you want to cancel your order?

IMHO there are far more dropped valve problems in the 6.7 than hosed fuel systems but you say nothing about that?

Ford has had 10 years to design a decent diesel, and a decent fuel system.

Bad fuel existed before the 6.7 liter, however the fuel system for the new engine is far more sensitive to water in fuel than the previous 6.0, 6.4, and 7.3.

I would not drive a Ford 6.7 L diesel if you gave me one for free. Don't need any more headaches these days. $12,000 to fix a fuel system that was poorly designed in the first place? No thanks.

For that money, you can get a used 7.3 with 200k miles on it, and have years of trouble free service, after putting in maybe 3k to solve some age related issues.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did a check of filter prices:

Ford 6.0 List $28

Ford 6.7 List $20

Duramax 6.6 List $25

Cummins 6.7 Not listed.

What is the cost of 5 gallons of Diesel Grade oil where you are?

My cost here is around $50 for a 5 gallon bucket (4.5 gallons used) for Shell Rotella T

Ranger Smith

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Did a check of filter prices:

Ford 6.0 List $28

Ford 6.7 List $20

Duramax 6.6 List $25

Cummins 6.7 Not listed.

What is the cost of 5 gallons of Diesel Grade oil where you are?

My cost here is around $50 for a 5 gallon bucket (4.5 gallons used) for Shell Rotella T

Who cares what your prices are. I told you what it normally costs me. If you want to pay $150 to $200 bucks for an oil change that is fine it is your money. Also as I said my truck dosen't take 5 gals of oil.
This thread has nothing to do with oil change prices anyways.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Another case of dreaded 2011 Ford 6.7L HPFP failure?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS