RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How much information is TOO MUCH information?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How much information is TOO MUCH information?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 12:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

Please s'plain how /why the sign is a "General RVing Issue"?

Should we be concerned??.

~

Why, yes!

But only if you're still driving your recreational VEHICLE on public streets etc....

Those streets are simply chock full of sign-type things, each one more perplexing than the last.

But for those who never take their Recreational Vehicles out on an Actual Road- never mind!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 02:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mockturtle wrote:

Many, if not most, school zones have a little light on top of the sign that flashes when school is in session and the special speed limit must be observed. I've never seen such a ridiculous sign as that one. You should bring it to the county's attention at the next council meeting and tell them their sign has been held up to public ridicule on an internet forum.

WATCH OUT!!!

Down in Rio Hondo there is a white sign that reads "25 mph when light is flashing." A friend drove the 40mph normal speed since the light WAS NOT flashing. Got a ticket, went to court, the judge said in Texas all white signs are the speed limit period!!! Paid the $200 fine.

Now ain't that something.

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 04:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Handbasket wrote:

Geez, I hate to be the fun-sponge..... IIRC, the TV news story on that sign explained that there were two or three schools close together along that piece of road, with slightly different start & finish times. It would cost something ridiculous ($75,000, I think they said) to run power and install a flashing light. So this was the solution.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

Unfortunately, it was still a dumb *** solution. A much simpler, easier, more understood way would be this. Simply determine when the first school starts and when the last school finishes. Put those times up and be done with it.

Besides, the slow drive time should be in effect the entire time the school(s) are in session, not just during the most obvious crossing time.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Badger Dog plus "Ollie"
"The Traveling Koala"
2012 Koala 21CS
2005 F150 Supercab 4x4, w/ 5.4L
And Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway Control

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 04:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geez, I hate to be the fun-sponge..... IIRC, the TV news story on that sign explained that there were two or three schools close together along that piece of road, with slightly different start & finish times. It would cost something ridiculous ($75,000, I think they said) to run power and install a flashing light. So this was the solution.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's your tax dollars at work. Just be happy that the money was not spent on something even more stupid! If that's possible

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 05:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL that sign is crazy. by the time I read that sign, look at my clock in the car to see if the sign applies, it will be too late to do anything about my speed. geez....

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 05:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jcghill wrote:

Isn't it much easier to post 25mph when children are present. I hope these kids never have a minimum day they'll have to make a new sign.

many school zones here in my area of metro chicago do NOT have the flashing lights at school zones. our school zone speed signs contain..."on school days when children are present". some courts here are interpreting that to mean..."on school days when children *could* be present".

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 05:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what happens if they decide to change the teaching schedule? Good grief..talk about bureaucracy.

rav

Northern Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes both parties can work together......

if you POST a problem please POST the solution!!!

2005 Bounder 38N
2012 Ford Escape toad
me, DW and our 2 dogs

RVBlade

Tampa Bay Region, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 05:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

Handbasket wrote:

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

Unfortunately, it was still a dumb *** solution. A much simpler, easier, more understood way would be this. Simply determine when the first school starts and when the last school finishes. Put those times up and be done with it.

Besides, the slow drive time should be in effect the entire time the school(s) are in session, not just during the most obvious crossing time.

I agree that a simpler, easier to understand solution would be to post the start and end time for morning and afternoon sessions.

In Florida, though, your second statement is wrong. Here DOT prefers to have a reduced speed crossing for only during the student travel times. They typically start an hour before the start of school and go until 15 minutes past the start of school. For the afternoon they become active 15 minutes before school releases and runs for about 30 minutes after the release. Some of the crossings have flashing lights while others just have the times posted.

2005 Ford F350 CC Lariat DRW
2012 Sanibel 3400
DW & DS (10)
Ceaser (our 140 lb Bull Mastiff) & Sake' (our 135 lb Akita)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How much information is TOO MUCH information?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS