|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
PegLW

SW Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A tornado hit the Branson area, including the main strip aka Hwy 76, tearing up theaters and businesses. If you're planning a trip to Branson in the next few weeks, you night want to re-think it. The storm hit at 1:35am this morning and reports are still comingi but it sounds like there was a lot of significant damage.

News-Leader info

Peg

Dave and Peggy
2012 Open Range 345RLS
2012 Ford F350 6.7L turbo

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a lot of damage and weeks of clean up from the pictures and video.

ngreen

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Springfield MO newspaper stated there was a RV overturned in the Walmart parking lot but did not comment on Walmart being destroyed. The tornado also hit Kimberling City, Pittsburg KS and Lamar MO. Too many tornados when you live so close to Joplin, as I do.

Somewhere greener, somewhere warmer,Up in the mountains, down by the ocean,Where don't matter long as we're goin'

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terrible! Our prayers go out to everyone affected.

My DW and I just volunteered to workcamp in Branson this summer. Having second thoughts.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
'95 Tracker toad

dbbls

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pictures look like mostly debris. No buildings structurally damaged. Branson will be back up and running again in a few weeks.

2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

PegLW

SW Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dbbls wrote:

Pictures look like mostly debris. No buildings structurally damaged. Branson will be back up and running again in a few weeks.

I'm glad you're optimistic but the photos and reports on the Facebook page set up this morning says otherwise. There were buildings destroyed, including parts of the Branson Mall. There's a photo of a building in the heart of Hwy 76 on the News-Leader page I linked to and it sure looks like damage to me.

Edited to add that I just learned that the Walmart store and the Jubliee store were completely destroyed. Reports are still coming in since the tornado struck at 1:35am, people are just now beginning to see all the damage.

Peg

ngreen

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walmart is still there - seen pictures - search Branson on Facebook for photos. The Hilton at the Landing received alot of damage and broken windows. Hope the RV park by the Landing made it ok.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the theaters and hotels damaged also. Here are some more pictures.

PegLW

SW Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ngreen wrote:

The Springfield MO newspaper stated there was a RV overturned in the Walmart parking lot but did not comment on Walmart being destroyed. The tornado also hit Kimberling City, Pittsburg KS and Lamar MO. Too many tornados when you live so close to Joplin, as I do.

We've lived in Springfield for 31 years and have had several go through over the years. There are more reports on KY3 web site with photos. The Branson Landing took a direct hit and there's a lot of damage there. The Hilton Hotel in particular sustained major damage. Quite a few homes in that area are reported to be heavily damaged too. Someone in the comments on FB reported that the lodge they were staying in for a fishing tournament was destroyed but they didn't give the name of the lodge. The reports coming in on the FB page reported on the Walmart and the Jubilee stores. The News-Leader is slow as usual.

The Kimberling City Inn has some damage, including their sign that's been there for many years. There are photos of destroyed homes near there too. I read that the tornado also touched down at Indian Point but I haven't found any more info on that. Silver Dollar City is in that area as it a large marina at the lake and dozens of homes.

I think as the day progresses there will be more reports on how extensive the damage will be.

PegLW

SW Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zigzagrv wrote:

Terrible! Our prayers go out to everyone affected.

My DW and I just volunteered to workcamp in Branson this summer. Having second thoughts.

By summer tornado season will be over. The damage seems to be isolated to Kimberling City, downtown Branson and the heart of Hwy 76. Other reports say all is okay. No need to panic and re-think your plans.

Peg

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS