|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> HATE flexileads

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Code2High wrote:

If that was "all they had" then it was a choice they made and they are still ignorant/lacking in common sense because if they weren't, they'd have a proper leash for situations where the flexi-leash isn't appropriate.

Guess that makes me ignorant, or lacking common sense. Because I haven't found any circumstances where a Flexi isn't appropriate. But the correct use is a very different story.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't own a flexi lead/leash, I just don't see the point really. We teach our dogs to stay close to us and if done correctly they learn not to get ahead of us when walking, that part is a work in progress with Mugsy (still) but we continue working on it. A flexi lead/leash would tend to undo that lesson in my opinion.

Even when we go hiking while out camping I want the dogs close enough that I can keep them out of mischief (like chasing critters) or grab them quickly if need be (larger critter or maybe a skunk coming are a few scenarios that come to mind), ten to twelve feet a head of us wouldn't work. Our good sturdy six foot leads would work pretty well in those situations.

We've been in situations at campgrounds with dog owners who allow the lead all the way out, and of course according to them it's "don't worry, he/she is friendly". Well, how in the world do you know the dog (or the person) your friendly dog is charging up on 12 feet in front of you is friendly? Pretty silly behavior!

I can only imagine the havoc with emotions running high, stuck in a small space, and being in the situation Dr. Doug was in with a couple of dog owners that are clueless about how to use a flexi lead/leash. Yikes...that would NOT be fun!

I'm glad everyone is safe, there were some scary storms skipping around last night.

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

CA POPPY

Santa Clarita, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first reaction was "TG your KOA allows pets in the storm shelter!" It would be an awful choice for some of us if we had to leave our pets in that kind of danger. I gather there was no problem with any of the dogs in this situation? thank heavens for that or the policy might change. When we were working Red Cross shelters, we saw people bring all kinds of pets. The only issue we ever had was with people who "don't like" animals, including some of the volunteers. Yes, the news today is terrible with reports of the nighttime tornadoes and all the casualties. I'm glad you're safe and I'm also glad you spoke up about the situation.

Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

xteacher

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too, detest flexi-leads. I cross the street when walking my dogs in my neighborhood when I see someone coming towards me that has their dog on one. They never seem to shorten the lead, and I'd rather avoid any potential problems. I want my dogs next to me to be able to quickly control whatever might happen.

I witnessed a lady with a puppy on a flexi-lead, and as puppies are prone to do, he started leaping around, wrapping the lead around the woman a couple of times (while she helplessly watched because it was pulled out to full length), then the puppy took off, knocking her off her feet, still tangled up. The last I saw, she was scraping herself off the sidewalk and taking off, chasing her puppy with the flexi-leash bouncing behind him, down the street. I hope she caught him before he got run over. They were too far away for me to try to help her catch the puppy. Enough said...

Beth and Joe
3 Grown, Non-camping children
1 Future Camper - Granddaughter Alice (born 6/25/14 )
3 Camping Rescue Pups: Maddie (malti-poo/westie?), Sunny (toy poodle), and Jackson (boxer)

2014 Starcraft AR-ONE 14RB
2010 Nissan Pathfinder

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once the two 50# dogs were not allowed to advance into the face of every dog within their 20' radius things were fine. All the dogs (about 10 total) and two cats were well behaved and there were no problems. One family came with cereal and milk and the two kids had breakfast . We were only there for about half an hour. The nearest tornado hit about 20-30 miles south of us, there were several further northwest in far southern Illinois and southern Indiana.

If you ever have to stay near Louisville, KY, I highly recommend this campground (Louisville South KOA). A typical KOA in appearance, but very well run with attentive, friendly, well trained employees.

My intent was not to bash those who use flexi-leads, but to point out potential problems for those who have not thought about some situations where they can be dangerous. I still don't like them, though.

Doug

Doug & Sandy
Jill (12yr old Golden)
Henry our camping cat
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

ANewCreation

VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO I don't believe flexi-leads are the problem. Owners not controlling their pets seems to be the problem.

RoadXYZ

OR-WA-ID-CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our harnish-clothed chi Petunia doesn't like her flexi shortened, but we are not out walking to appease her ... we keep ours shortened when walking between sited RVs .. if we are in a deserted area, we will leave 4 ft of flexi leashed out for her ...

A few years ago we were put in separate areas when we had to be sheltered - those with dogs in one ; those without in the other.

Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma, Grandpa, & Petunia, 9 yr old Chi
2008 Suburban / Alpenlite Travel Trailer

agteacher

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A that area of Kentucky brings back memories. Seems like every time we take I-64 through Kentucky, we hit bad weather. Twice we have missed tornados by less than a mile. Both times we had a truck camper. Once was during the night and the second was while on the road. We pulled off the interstate at an exit because of the rain and found abandoned gas stations.

camping buddies - my husband,
14 yr boy,15 yr girl,17 yr girl
American Eskimos - Ginger and Baby
01 International 4700
99 Dodge 2500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My lab is the friendliest dog you will ever meet. She has hardly ever left my side in 13 years, and her birthday was yesterday. I completely trust her with a 1 year old kid crawling all over her, since she loves kids. That being said, I absolutely do not trust her around other dogs. I love it when people tell me "...don't worry, my dog is very friendly". I tell them, my dog is too, to people. She might go after your dog though.
Yes I know several people will come down on me and say their dog "will never go after another dog". You don't know the dynamics of dogs hierarchy. They decide after they meet, not before.
So yes, I always shorten her leash around others. I might give her a little more room if the other dogs leash isn't shortened though.

1995 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2000 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Terri travel

North Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 02:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear that you guys are ok! You were in my old stomping grounds. Grew up in Louisville, and have family in Shepherdsville. Glad you didn't have to break up a dog fight in the middle of a weather emergency! I have a flexi lead, but can't stand it.

2006 Jayco Jayfeather 29BHS

Mike & Terri (working hard to play)

Melissa & Ty (23yr old daughter,13yr old son) Just along for the ride

Cujo & Sophie {1 bad Chihuahua & Diva French Bulldog}

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> HATE flexileads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts