|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> HATE flexileads

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA POPPY wrote:

My first reaction was "TG your KOA allows pets in the storm shelter!" It would be an awful choice for some of us if we had to leave our pets in that kind of danger.

Here's something to ponder: Ed and I had arrived at a FL panhandle oceanfront RV Park and there were severe thunderstorms moving towards our area off the Gulf. I asked the manager where we should take shelter, since the NWS was basically saying these storms would spin up tornadoes when they hit land. She told me "the rec building - but you can't take any animals with you".

OK - the rec building was basically 4 walls of windows, so THAT was ridiculous as a "safe" shelter, IMO - and I was going to take my dogs no matter what. I told Ed if we had to make a dash for it, we'd run to the (brick) bathrooms and lock ourselves and the dogs in one shower room. They could yell at us/kick us out later.

We lucked out - the storm was AWFUL when it hit (glad we were sheltered by a couple of big Class A's) but the tornadoes developed AFTER they passed our location.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vulcaneer wrote:

Code2High wrote:

If that was "all they had" then it was a choice they made and they are still ignorant/lacking in common sense because if they weren't, they'd have a proper leash for situations where the flexi-leash isn't appropriate.

Guess that makes me ignorant, or lacking common sense. Because I haven't found any circumstances where a Flexi isn't appropriate. But the correct use is a very different story.

There is no correct 'use'. Because the ONLY thing a flex does is allow a dog to be too far away from the owner in case of an emergency. There is ZERO control. For all practical purposes the dog may as well be loose to a bystander.

When the flexi is extended and dog at other end attacks another dog and/or person the owner holding a flexi can NOT pull the dog back and the owner is too far away to grab their dog. IMHO they are the most dangerous leads available on the market.

I will not walk my dog or even take a walk myself in a CG when another pet owner is out with a flexi lead. Because it seems to go hand and hand that flexi users are the type of owners that think it is cute that their dog yards away from them, NOT under control approach you and your dog. Here's a newsflash, I do NOT want your dog all over me and my dog when I am walking.

Dog show superintendents have banned their use on the show grounds and thankfully many CG's have finally seen the light and have banned them also. I'd like to see them banned at all CG's.

Kudos to you Dr. Doug for speaking up. Your experience in an emergency situation IMHO exemplifies the mind set of flexi users.

* This post was edited 03/02/12 07:09am by rockhillmanor *

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chrisnpat wrote:

As in every thing else, you are going to have people that are not responsible with the leads, and than you have people that are.

I agree - I have no problem controlling my dogs when they're on Flexis. The leash that scares *me* is the 6' long one with a frisky 80# dog on one end and a 50# kid on the other....LOL!!!

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AZPops wrote:

Wow, it's a good thing Harlee and Calvin don't have to wear leashes so I can stay out of this one! ... or can I?

Po, ... I mean Anonymous

LOL!! THAT'S why I like Flexis - my dogs are seldom on leashes. I think a dog who's walked on a leash regularly, develops a "knack" for it?? (And mine have no knack at all, unless I make them heel) When walking MY idiots - the moment a leash goes slack - somebody's going to get tangled/tied - or better yet, a couple of them will get snarled together... I liken it to walking the Three Stooges....

chrisnpat

Lake Villa, Il.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As in every thing else, you are going to have people that are not responsible with the leads, and than you have people that are.

Christine and Patrick
Dudley and Summer Time and Now Sebastian
Katie Bug and Maggie Mays at Rainbow Bridge
miss u sweet baby's.....

AZPops

Wherever the Job takes us...

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, it's a good thing Harlee and Calvin don't have to wear leashes so I can stay out of this one! ... or can I?

Po, ... I mean Anonymous

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you think that's a "safe" way to use a flexi-lead, please refer to Dougs comments on the injuries he's seen in his clinic.... that's just one... which have included lost human digits.

You can't create a leash that fits in a plastic widget and is not going to cut flesh if pulled on hard and fast. There simply isn't enough space. And once you're looking for a body part, your ability to control your dog will be compromised. I'd be very surprised if that was the "correct" way to use one, BTW, since the instructions I've read on those things say "don't hold onto the leash, use the handle."

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Code2High wrote:

If you think that's a "safe" way to use a flexi-lead, please refer to Dougs comments on the injuries he's seen in his clinic.... that's just one... which have included lost human digits.

You can't create a leash that fits in a plastic widget and is not going to cut flesh if pulled on hard and fast. There simply isn't enough space. And once you're looking for a body part, your ability to control your dog will be compromised. I'd be very surprised if that was the "correct" way to use one, BTW, since the instructions I've read on those things say "don't hold onto the leash, use the handle."

I may be ignorant. Ignorance can be fixed. But you just can't fix stupid.

I don't care if you feel it's safe or not. I said that's the way I use it. And I have never had the lock fail. Nor lost a finger.

You said the Flexi has NO CONTROL. I simply said, you are not correct. And you are not.

I have broken many a 6 foot leather leash too. Sometimes the leash, and sometimes the snap connector. And then there is NO CONTROL.

I have seen dogs rip the 6 foot leather leash out of the hands of handlers. Sometimes the dog will also pull the handler off his/her feet, and/or pull out their shoulders. The short leash is not aguaranty that the dog will always be controlled. I'll stick with the flexi style leash. And will hold it with two hands. You do what you want. I couldn't care less.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Confusion is a prerequisite to enlightenment.
Enlightenment is a prerequisite to revelation.
Revelation without action makes no difference.

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

Vulcaneer wrote:

Code2High wrote:

If that was "all they had" then it was a choice they made and they are still ignorant/lacking in common sense because if they weren't, they'd have a proper leash for situations where the flexi-leash isn't appropriate.

Guess that makes me ignorant, or lacking common sense. Because I haven't found any circumstances where a Flexi isn't appropriate. But the correct use is a very different story.

There is no correct 'use'. Because the ONLY thing a flex does is allow a dog to be too far away from the owner in case of an emergency. There is ZERO control. For all practical purposes the dog may as well be loose to a bystander.

I may be ignorant. But those statements are less than accurate.

If you really feel that way, then you may not understand the correct use either. As long as the lead is connected to the dog, there is some level of control. Although, there is more control as the leash is held shorter. As it is extended the control diminishes. But there is still control.

The way I use the Flexi is to hold the handle in my right hand, and the leash in the left. And the dog walks on my left. My left hand is less than 3 feet from my dogs collar. And when not needing to be heeling the leash can be extended AS APPROPRIATE. And I know where my dog is. Do I think it is cute to allow full extension of the leash? No....But I think it is nice to allow the dog to have some controlled freedom when APPROPRIATE. The spring return actually helps the dog from becoming tangled.

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own several flexi leads, and use them. But, I only use them to potty the dogs in an open area, with no obstacles or dogs around. Walking to and from the potty area at an unfamiliar campground, I prefer to use a 6' lead. My flexi's are also the largest ones available, even though my dogs are not. I want the sturdiest components possible.

My main concern with the flexi's is the "brake". You are relying on a simple piece of plastic to put enough pressure on the lead to stop and HOLD the dog. I cannot tell you how many flexi's I have handled on clients dogs that have no brake anymore. No brake = no control.

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> HATE flexileads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS