|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Thinking about going to Organ Pipe? Read this

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

News Report

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

Michael Fisher

Yuma, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The article is saying that it is open and safe.

five'er

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michael Fisher wrote:

The article is saying that it is open and safe.

I didn't get that same impression.. It sounded to me like it's open and you can take a guided tour by armed guards while border patrol agents are hidden in the bushes watching your every move as the area while they were in it was considered to be hostile.. I must have misread.. I guess that DOES sound like you're well protected but not sure if I'd classify it as "Safe"

crabbin cabin

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The guided tour is to Quitobaquito springs - a natural spring-fed pond that sits right on the Mexico border that, the last time we were there is/was marked only by a falling down, 3-strand, barbed wire fence. It is a well known crossing place for border crossers.

Yes, parts of the Monument are closed to the public but the rest of it is open. A great place to visit with a lovely camp ground and friendly helpful staff. As long as you are sensible and listen to the staff I would not hesitate to see this great place.

The OP, IMHO, relishes in finding scary news stories, regarless of the source.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll no, I just saw this and it came to mind since someone mentioned going to Organ Pipes not too long ago. We're headed to Chiricahua this year which isn't too far from the border. But I don't think there are snipers in the hills there.

Dennis M M

Geneva, IL; Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like a purposely negative and sensationalistic article. Even then they said: "

Now, ten years after Eggle's murder, the park's leadership has decided to open up a portion of the closed areas to the public in March, citing improved safety conditions and a big increase in Border Patrol agents in the area."

We were there a year ago this week and it was a lovely place. No issues at all as long as you stayed out of the closed areas. We took the guided van tour around the loop route because we were driving the truck. We did not stay at the campground, though it looked nice when we walked through. We stayed at Shadow Ridge RV in Aho, about 30 miles north.

If you go, don't miss 100 Estrella Restaurant & Lounge in Ajo. Great beer selection and the best hamburger I have had in years!

'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'11 smart fortwo on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The campground and adjacent areas are completely safe -- or as safe as any other place in the USA. The "bad" people do not want to be in an area with lots of "good" people and border police driving up and down the highways. But Organ Pipe is a large area. The "backcountry" may be a different story -- the same as any large city in the USA. If you want to see the real SW of the USA this the place. Do not miss it.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

More To See

San Diego Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are heading east out of here in the next couple weeks for a little trip and had already decided to stop by Organ Pipe for a day or two. No hesitation at all about being there.

At Quartzsite last month there was a Ranger from Organ Pipe in one of the booths so they are actively encouraging RVers to stop by. If they were experiencing problems I doubt whether they would have sent that Ranger to the Q.

I consider myself to be a cautious guy but border problems on this side are minimal -- contrary to what you might hear now and then. We will be doing the Tombstone, Bisbee, Douglass, Columbus route over as far as El Paso. Have no concerns at all -- even along route 9 next to the border in New Mexico.

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More To See wrote:

even along route 9 next to the border in New Mexico.
We've often taken this route and have never seen another vehicle! Hey, this is all part of the adventure!

2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis
2002 Honda CR-V toad
Roadmaster Sterling A/T towbar
VIP braking system
Eddyline Merlin kayak

nina_70

On wheels, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that article is being overly dramatic. Have kept in contact with several couples camping near Organ Pipe this winter and all is fine. In fact I know of no less than 5 couples who've been there this winter, two of which spent several weeks in the area. Not a peep of a problem.

12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Thinking about going to Organ Pipe? Read this
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS