|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> New Class C Owner

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Fleetwood E4

Tinley Park IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upgraded from a Hybird Travel trailer to a 2012 Jayco GrayHawk FS.
The Jayco did'nt come with a spare tire or jack whitch i am getting before our first trip. What i would like to know is do you have to jack up both front and back tires evenly before you remove a tire from the RV in case you have a flat tire.Or do you change the tire the same way you do a car or truck. I saw this on a how to site.
I was not sure if this was true.

Please help.

jbbrick

Near San Francisco

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's a 2012 you should have the Ford owners manual for your chassis, see what it says. I had a Greyhawk and don't remember ever seeing that info. I'll bet you just jack up each tire just like a car, making sure you use the lift points that Ford recommends.

'02 Winnie Adventurer 32V
2010 Ford Escape toad

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Changing a tire on a 14,000lb+ vehicle should not be done on the roadside by a non-professional who does it every day and have the right gear and know what not to do.

Simple things like knowing the strength of the soil and what weight it can take before the jack sinks into the mud, and what to put underneath to spread the weight and how.

Frosty's Mom

Treasure Valley, SW Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we've suffered a blow out on our rig and all recommendations were to use your insurance/rv roadside assistance and get professional help. those things aren't your normal car or truck and tons more weight. let those who do that do that; use the roadside plan you purchase. it is SOOOOOOO worth it!

wee3-gin, clyde & the bichon frise
2002 Forest River Windsong-34' Class A
1996 Geo Tracker-4WD
2003 Minnie Winnie 30V - "The Frosty Hauler"
May the Angels guide your wheels and ride on your shoulder.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As above, you need physical strength to get the heavy spare out of the vehicle, a heavy duty jack, heavy duty lug nut wrench with extension. You also need to safety techniques as mentioned above. Not advisable for most owners in many emergency situations. Not easy in your own driveway.

1rickw

redwood City, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine came with a Spare, but no jack. I would never even consider doing this myself. That's why I have road service. I do however carry an air compressor. Used it several times on the road but not on mine. Always someone else's. This also makes tire maintenance much easier. Most gas stations can't inflate to 80 lbs that the rears need.

2004 Jamboree 26Q + great wife to travel with

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO, a Class C owner should ALWAYS have a spare tire along, a heavy duty (10-12 ton) bottle jack along, a large long handled lug wrench along, some pieces of lumber along, a full size shovel along, and a heavy duty high pressure compressor (110V operated by the built-in generator) along.

What if you can't get out with your cell phone for road service and any other vehicles that might come along are few and far between ... or worse, practically non-existent?

Having the capability in your rig of changing a flat regardless of the vehicle's weight is always a good Plan B. We try to be ready with our Class C in case this situation should ever arise. We also have a long range cell tower access system on board to increase our chances of reaching a road service vehicle.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

IMHO, a Class C owner should ALWAYS have a spare tire along, a heavy duty (10-12 ton) bottle jack along, a large long handled lug wrench along, some pieces of lumber along, a full size shovel along, and a heavy duty high pressure compressor (110V operated by the built-in generator) along.

What if you can't get out with your cell phone for road service and any other vehicles that might come along are few and far between ... or worse, practically non-existent?

Having the capability in your rig of changing a flat regardless of the vehicle's weight is always a good Plan B. We try to be ready with our Class C in case this situation should ever arise. We also have a long range cell tower access system on board to increase our chances of reaching a road service vehicle.

I have ERS too but keep all the stuff to change a wheel and inflate tires on board just in case.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

dennislanier

Northeast Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

As always, it is your personal preference to carry whatever gear you want. In my case, the above equipment is way too heavy and takes up too much space. Don't think I would even think about changing the tire myself on the side of the highway. Then again, I don't take my MH into the wilderness - if I did, that might change my thinking.

rs0lt0ff

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2010 Grayhawk and the spare is beneath the back end. There is
a cover on the outside (drivers side) where the spare is "cranked down".
I would not attempt to change a tire anyway. Get road-side assistance
coverage and carry a cell phone. I believe Jayco and Ford have rfoad-side assistance for two years (included).
Cheers:
Paul

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> New Class C Owner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: