|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> New Class C Owner

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a spare but given the weight of the tire and the fact that the spare is hard to get to I would only consider changing a tire if I was stuck in the boonies with no way out. Sometimes paying money for something is worth every penny.

I think carrying a spare is essential - if your stuck somewhere its far easier to find an outfit who has the ability to change a tire than finding an outfit that happens to have your sized tire.

Kevin

funtogo

Amory,Ms.38821

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 09:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you change your own,it helps to have a longer "cheater" pipe that fits over the lug wrench to loosen those lug nuts that are on there so tight!

2006 Cardinal 30TS(Sold)
2006 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 D/A(Sold)

Fleetwood E4

Tinley Park IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for all the great information. You folks have been a great help

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good reason to tow a toad. Like a lifeboat.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

hotbyte

Barnesville GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenbear wrote:

A good reason to tow a toad. Like a lifeboat.

We tow a boat...doubt it would be very useful if MH broke down though

Our Web Albums Temporary Web Albums
2006 Yellowstone SE, 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2L and 2011 Tidewater 1900 Bay Max

ASPENMAN

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a "Roadside Service Plan" If you carry all the equipment pnichols suggested there won't be room for you and your wife and your rig will be overloaded.
You would need professional equipment NOT YOUR AVERAGE JACK - jacking up a motorhome is not a smart thing for the average person to do.

Some things just should not be "DIY" - BIG MISTAKE - IMHO

BLOGS:
http://rvpainter.blogspot.com
http://art4rvs.blogspot.com
31' Class C NEXUS Phantom 4/4/12
Pressure Pro TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS/Surge

WiFi Ranger Mobile
Cab over entertainment center

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing to me that so many have no knowledge or desire to do something as basic as change a flat tire. For those of you advocating not even carrying the equipment; what happens when you can't get cell coverage? You don't have to be out in the boonies for that to happen. There are cellular dead spots everywhere.

I assume that you do at least carry a spare, otherwise you're stuck paying whatever the local place decides to charge for a tire, that likely isn't a good match, or a good price.

And as for not having room for the equipment? Seriously? A good 10-12 ton bottle jack is about 8"x8"x12' high, and a good lug wrench takes up no room, likewise a couple of short 2x6's. You can't find the room for that?

What about the time aspect; how long is it going to take for a tow truck to actually show up to change that tire for you? 30 minutes? 2 hours? More? Why would anybody want to wait that long for something as simple as a tire change?

Even selling a vehicle without a spare, jack, and lug wrench should be illegal, IMO, although it is becoming the norm for new cars in order to save weight. Many now come with a can of tire sealant and a small air compressor instead!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

1988 Fleetwood Jamboree S26 27'
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a bottle jack and a spare tire. Don't believe changing a front tire would be a big deal. Duals would be harder of course. But it is my understanding you can run on one dual at low speed for limited distance, to get to a service place

ASPENMAN

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't get cell coverage - I'd jump in my Honda Fit toad and find a phone. I'd call my emergency roadside service - tell them what I needed (the one I subscribe to has your tire information on record) so they would already know what to bring. I consider a jack and spare tire to be extra baggage - that's why they nave road side service programs - towing - etc etc. However no one approach is right or wrong - whatever works for each person and to each their own way.

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

If you carry all the equipment pnichols suggested there won't be room for you and your wife and your rig will be overloaded.

We have only a 24 foot no-slide Itasca Class C on the Ford E450 chassis so we do have over 2000 lbs. of extra weight-carrying capacity. We purchased our MH with that in mind for broad flexibility in our RV adventures. We carry all the tire changing equipment mentioned in my post and a whole lot more camping equipment - the bulk of it in the stock outside storage cabinets that Winnebago included in it's design. The bottle jack we carry is 12 ton rated and is a hard to find double-cylinder model with an extra long extension length, just in case. We carry multiple wood leveling blocks that can be used to put under the base of this jack if on soft surfaces or can alternately be used in a rut to get unstuck on a soft surfaces.

The Ford E450 chassis spare tire location is up between the frame frames rails in the rear just ahead of the towing assembly. Fairly easy to get at, but you must lay down on your back a few moments to lossen the retaining nut, drup the tire down, and pull it out.

We camp in all kinds of full hookup and drycamp areas - sometimes in Walmart parking lots, sometimes in KOA and other private campgrounds, sometimes in state and federal campgrounds, forests, reserves, deserts, etc. ... off-times out in the middle of nowhere rockhounding and exploring.

We have traveled 5-6 miles (VERY SLOWLY) on one rear tire of the dual set on the driver's side. Obviously way overloading the one remaining tire and the rig felt quite "squirrelly". The lone Michelin tire on that side was inflated to it's maximum pressure and it did hold up, amazingly. I don't recommended doing it unless on smooth hard road surfaces, traveling very slowly, and not for many miles. The Michelin tire we drastically overloaded while doing this performed faithfully for another 2 years after that with no problems.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> New Class C Owner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS