|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing Wrangler 4 down assistance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BobGed

Carson City, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave n Alice wrote:

If you have to use a drop down adapter does this cause any stability issues (wandering or fish tailing) on the highway?

No, but I would recommend installing a Receiver Hitch Immobilizer between your receiver and the drop down adapter.

2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Dave n Alice

South Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. So the tow dolly is off the table. Good to confirm. That being said, is there a base plate that is mounted over the Wrangler bumper on a TJ? I checked in Blue Ox based on 'haddy1' information but could not locate anything for the 2003 year TJ other than the under the bumper mount.

Jim & Betty

Brandon, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 12:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bluwtr49 wrote:

I would suggest you rig the jeep with all the backets, tow bar and etc. first than decide on the drop adapter. Get it right the first time.

Ditto on this. I have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler and when I was setting mine up for towing with Roadmaster I was concerned about the same as you but after installing every thing I was set at Level and I mean Level. The receiver hitch in my case was not level with the recever there was a slight drop, and on the brackets that mounted to the Jeep they are the hidden type that set just under the Bumper but the tow bar connection (can't remember the name) that fits those hidden brackets brings the bar up to the top of the bumper. I also have a lifted Jeep, 2 inch. In any event or type of setup I reccomend measure after install just to be sure.
I also do not like to mount direct to the bumper with any thing that puts pressure on it I do not think it is a good idea.

JimR

haddy1

Chesterfield, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave n Alice wrote:

Interesting. So the tow dolly is off the table. Good to confirm. That being said, is there a base plate that is mounted over the Wrangler bumper on a TJ? I checked in Blue Ox based on 'haddy1' information but could not locate anything for the 2003 year TJ other than the under the bumper mount.

I can't find it either, but it was a pretty simple device.

I used a piece of 2x2x1/4 steel angle. It mounted to the Jeep using the 4 bolts on top of the bumper and had holes in the front to mount the brackets. I rounded the corners and made it look "professional".

This mount might have been discontinued because some of the newer models have "extra plastic parts" that would prevent a solid mount on the top side.

2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH
2007 Jeep Wrangler Toad

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I honestly don't know. On all the Jeeps I have towed, I have never used an actual "baseplate".
Since I use an inexpensive fixed-arm adjustable width towbar, I just bolt the brackets that came with the towbar to the middle of the bumper, right at the ends of the frame horns. I have done this with both custom and stock bumpers, on 2006 and earlier Jeep CJ and Wrangler models. Of course, I always use adequate back-up plates behind the bumpers.
It has worked for me for many years.

"Curious, if you can tow a vehicle 4 down , what would inhibit towing it 2 down? Assuming the same process was followed. You would have to strap it tight if the front axle were free, but I am curious of the reason."

The front driveshaft is sitting still, and the rear driveshaft is spinning merrily away. The transfer case bearings don't like this situation, and may self-destruct.
If they do, it is expensive, and not covered by any warranty.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

daveshan

Durango Colrado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave n Alice wrote:

I use THESE bolted to the top of my bumper in the place the stock tow hooks were. For the tow bar attachment I use THESE with my Falcon 2 tow bar. I had to use a washer top and bottom between the bar and the tow bar adapters but it's very solid, they fit perfectly on my old "el cheapo" fixed tow bar.

I very rarely tow the Wrangler as I have to remove the driveshafts to flat tow (Atlas II transfer case) but it works great.

'99 Alpine 36SDS/8.3 ISC 330 Cummins
Or
'05 Lance 845
'06 Super duty SC/SB 6.0
Upgrades include: StabilLoads, Air Bags & Timbrens,Swaybars

Usually towing an '01 Wrangler, lifted/locked on 35"s or a mildly built '98 Cherokee on 33"s (only one locker)

Canadian Rainbirds

Vancouver Island (Winter: Mainland Mexico)

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bluwtr49 wrote:

I would suggest you rig the jeep with all the backets, tow bar and etc. first than decide on the drop adapter. Get it right the first time.

X2. We tow a 2011 Jeep Wrangler 4 door.

Jim & Betty

Brandon, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 12:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave n Alice wrote:

Thanks for all the input especially on the setup first before getting any hitch adapter. I'm now looking at the Roadmaster XL tow brackets that bolt to the frame rails. I know they need an adapter bar for the Readybrake/brute set up but like the way they secure to the Jeep. Any input on this setup?

I have the XLs on my 1999 Jeep and I like them very well they mount up nice and tight and do not stick out there like a sore thumb. They seem heavy enough that if I ever roll a rock up on them they should hold up. I have all Road Master stuff on my Jeep there are but when I was looking to buy I found that the manufactures have adaptors for the other guys bars and mounts.

JimR

Dave n Alice

South Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the input especially on the setup first before getting any hitch adapter. I'm now looking at the Roadmaster XL tow brackets that bolt to the frame rails. I know they need an adapter bar for the Readybrake/brute set up but like the way they secure to the Jeep. Any input on this setup?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing Wrangler 4 down assistance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS