RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Free file opener

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > Free file opener

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mountain Mama

N. TX

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2008

View Profile



Posted: 02/29/12 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone used this or know anything about it? Free File opener

Says it's a Microsoft Partner... Microsoft compatable

TIA!


2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT


powderman426

ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/29/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that doesn't sound like a good idea to me.


Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work


MrWizard

Traveling

Moderator

Joined: 06/27/2004

View Profile



Posted: 02/29/12 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

often free download, does Not mean Free Software

after the trial period you have to pay to keep using it

Adobe reader is free and opens PDF files

windows media player, plays most video

the Free VLC player player plsys all video and music

windows has image/picture software and programs such as "irfanview" or "gimp"

are truely free


Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother
....

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus


sdianel

Tampa, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 07/24/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/29/12 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

use www.openoffice.org
It's free. My cousin who is a computer guru told me about it. I've been using it for years. Other people can open the files you send them. Has all types of software: word processing, spread sheets, etc.


Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi


HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2005

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 02/29/12 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried doing some research on this and couldn't find anything to make me feel good about it. Found one review that said it was malware, another that said it was trial ware. Couldn't find any info about the company that wrote the software but the English grammar on their website wasn't very good. Just sayin.


Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/


Mountain Mama

N. TX

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2008

View Profile



Posted: 02/29/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sdianel wrote:

use www.openoffice.org
It's free. My cousin who is a computer guru told me about it. I've been using it for years. Other people can open the files you send them. Has all types of software: word processing, spread sheets, etc.


Our problem is we're using Office 2000 so we have trouble opening some documents others send us. Will this enable us to open newer documents sent to us?

TMBLSN

Washington State

Senior Member

Joined: 04/07/2008

View Profile



Posted: 02/29/12 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mountain Mama wrote:

sdianel wrote:

use www.openoffice.org
It's free. My cousin who is a computer guru told me about it. I've been using it for years. Other people can open the files you send them. Has all types of software: word processing, spread sheets, etc.


Our problem is we're using Office 2000 so we have trouble opening some documents others send us. Will this enable us to open newer documents sent to us?


What you need is the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3


2001 Bigfoot 24DB (Class C)

2006-2011: 2006 Jayco 275BHS (5th wheel)
2002-2006: 2003 Northern Lite Ten-2000CD (truck camper)
2002-2011: 1998 Chevrolet C2500HD for hauling camper and towing 5er

Lee


wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/01/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A product I trust is OPEN OFFICE (Www.openoffice.org if I'm not mistaken)

They offer a free Word Processor, Graphics Processor (paint replacement) Spread Sheet, Data Base, power point program, these not only let you OPEN and VIEW but compose and save in more formats than i care to chat about including formats used by Linux, Microsoft and Apple-Mac.

All free


Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377


Mountain Mama

N. TX

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2008

View Profile



Posted: 03/01/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TMBLSN wrote:

Mountain Mama wrote:

sdianel wrote:

use www.openoffice.org
It's free. My cousin who is a computer guru told me about it. I've been using it for years. Other people can open the files you send them. Has all types of software: word processing, spread sheets, etc.


Our problem is we're using Office 2000 so we have trouble opening some documents others send us. Will this enable us to open newer documents sent to us?


What you need is the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3


Thanks! I'll do this!

1775

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 09/30/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/01/12 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The key developers of Open Office split off due to some disagreements and created a new non-profit company and released a new suite called Libre Office which is based on the same code as Open Office. This link explains the differences -

http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/........penofficeorg-vs-libreoffice-716?page=0,0

There are minor changes, but it looks like further development will come in the new suite - Libre Office, which is also Free.

http://www.libreoffice.org/


Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > Free file opener
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS