|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> spare tire

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 12:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seattle Steve wrote:

Jim@HiTek wrote:

Executive wrote:

Considering what it takes to remove and remount the tires, think torque, weight and size, the general public is not equipped to change tires on a motorhome. A spare takes up lots of space and adds weight to the already challenged CCC on most coaches.....Dennis

True, but from experience, when you're 225 miles from a big town, and the road side tire service is on the way, it's a lot less stressful, inexpensive, and time saving, to have a spare in the basement compartment for the tire guy (let them know you have a spare and whether it's mounted or unmounted so they send the right guy and equipment).

A good roadside truck tire service will nearly always have the right tools and know-how to replace the tire right where you are. If not, they can just drive an unmounted tire back to a tire shop to put it on the rim.

Still, just to be on the safe side, I carry a mounted spare, the right sized socket for the lug nuts, an extension for the proper torque, and a jack stand to support the extension. Oh, yeah, and wood to put under my hydraulic jack to get the wheel off the ground.

I'm curious about how many times you've had to use your spare. I'm sure that I am biased by the fact that it has been almost 40 years since I have had a flat tire on any vehicle. Maybe I've just been really lucky.

Me too...RVing for over 40 years and only one flat. Considering the number of tire failures vs number of RV miles driven I would guess that percentage would not even show up without tons of zeros before it.....just sayin.....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only had to use the spare once in 6 years and 50,000 miles. Many of those miles in remote areas, like driving to Alaska, and in the South West. Dry camped while traveling the 'Loneliest Highway in America' once. Because of that, I've wanted to be prepared, just in case.

Have called roadside tire service 3 times for issues where 2 of them turned out to not need a tire change, but took note how well the tire service could have handled that job if necessary. Then I've listened to other campers and read thousands of stories on RV.net.

The flat I had 225 miles from Prince George, the tire guy said he'd checked for my size in his local area and that if I'd not had the spare, he'd have had to go to Prince George to find one. Not too big a problem but would have added a day to the trip.

As you probably know, you can't assume your experience (just one data set out of millions) will be what might happen to someone else, or even that it will apply to your own future.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

koda55

Jacksonville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased our 2005 Georgie Boy Landau used. According to the selling sheet it came with a spare tire. I guess the previous owner took it off. I just replaced all six tires and kept one of the old tires as a mounted spare. If it doesn't hold up I have lost nothing.If I need it I won't be traveling very fast to get somewhere to have the tire repaired or replaced.

sc3283

St Louis

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

35 yrs of driving, never 1 flat tire. I always carry a spare in ALL my vehicles. Yes a 22.5 spare is heavy and big. I don't have time to sit roadside waiting on a service guy. Maybe 1 day when retired that will become an option but even then, I will be changing my own flat tires if need be. When knowing proper ways to move a large tire such as a 22.5..the heaviest lifting is the jack. We all have our preferences, and having or not having are both viable ways of dealing with a flat..its just a matter of preference.

04 D-Max Crew Dually

96 Monaco Dynasty 36'

Seattle Steve

Pacific NW

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim@HiTek wrote:

Only had to use the spare once in 6 years and 50,000 miles. Many of those miles in remote areas, like driving to Alaska, and in the South West. Dry camped while traveling the 'Loneliest Highway in America' once. Because of that, I've wanted to be prepared, just in case.

Have called roadside tire service 3 times for issues where 2 of them turned out to not need a tire change, but took note how well the tire service could have handled that job if necessary. Then I've listened to other campers and read thousands of stories on RV.net.

The flat I had 225 miles from Prince George, the tire guy said he'd checked for my size in his local area and that if I'd not had the spare, he'd have had to go to Prince George to find one. Not too big a problem but would have added a day to the trip.

As you probably know, you can't assume your experience (just one data set out of millions) will be what might happen to someone else, or even that it will apply to your own future.

So you lugged around a spare tire for 6 years and 50,000 miles and only had to use it once. And even then, in the middle of nowhere, it would have only taken a day to get a replacement tire if you wouldn't have had a spare. You did a better job proving my point than I could have.

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lugged around? Never have moved it myself, have a diesel engine and professional tire guys for that.

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim@HiTek wrote:

Executive wrote:

Considering what it takes to remove and remount the tires, think torque, weight and size, the general public is not equipped to change tires on a motorhome. A spare takes up lots of space and adds weight to the already challenged CCC on most coaches.....Dennis

True, but from experience, when you're 225 miles from a big town, and the road side tire service is on the way, it's a lot less stressful, inexpensive, and time saving, to have a spare in the basement compartment for the tire guy (let them know you have a spare and whether it's mounted or unmounted so they send the right guy and equipment).

A good roadside truck tire service will nearly always have the right tools and know-how to replace the tire right where you are. If not, they can just drive an unmounted tire back to a tire shop to put it on the rim.

Still, just to be on the safe side, I carry a mounted spare, the right sized socket for the lug nuts, an extension for the proper torque, and a jack stand to support the extension. Oh, yeah, and wood to put under my hydraulic jack to get the wheel off the ground.

When you call your roadside assistance organization..then them THEN that you need a new tire of "XXx22" size so they can bring it with them.....your going to pay for it anyway...might as well have them bring it.

FARRR too many are paranoid about having or not having a spare. I dont have one..and have no where to carry one if I did...so I dont let it worry me

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sc3283 wrote:

35 yrs of driving, never 1 flat tire. I always carry a spare in ALL my vehicles. Yes a 22.5 spare is heavy and big. I don't have time to sit roadside waiting on a service guy. Maybe 1 day when retired that will become an option but even then, I will be changing my own flat tires if need be. When knowing proper ways to move a large tire such as a 22.5..the heaviest lifting is the jack. We all have our preferences, and having or not having are both viable ways of dealing with a flat..its just a matter of preference.

Counting cars..pickup trucks...vans and now motorhomes...in 47 years of driving I had ONE flat tire.

Since its included in my Roadside Assistance package...why dont I use it then if needed.

I assume you dont have any sort of roadside assistance program>> Might get costly if you ever need a wrecker...but..gee..look at all the $$ you saved...right??

donsuefuggrwe

myrtle point ,or 97458

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchased a new National Tradewinds in 2001 in Sacramento Calif. No spare and started to look for one to buy. Started cross country looking at every stop and finally found my size in Nova Scotia, Canada. Have carried it for the last 11 years, 118700 miles, and not had to use it. I still would vote to carry one.

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also just bought another motorhome (my 4th). First one with the spare in an outside storage compartment instead of mounted on the back of the motorhome. I sure would like to reclaim the space taken up by the spare. I do like to carry a spare tire though. Is there such thing as a rack attached to the hitch receiver, that still allows room for my tow car to be attached?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> spare tire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: