|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Deployment = Lonely TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Crazy4gsds

Cumming, GA

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like we won't get much camping in for 2012. Just found out DH is leaving next week for a year long rotation overseas. He'll be home for 21 days at some point so we'll use the TT then. Otherwise, I'll check on it every few weeks at our storage facility and leave it winterized. Anything else I should do or look for? The tires and tongue jack are covered. How often should I check the roof? It was just inspected when we purchased it new in October, 2011 and again when we winterized it in December, 2011.

We contemplated selling it because it's really quite sad to think of it sitting in storage for a year not being used. However, due to the time constraint of him leaving in less than 5 days that doesn't look like a viable option. I have zero interest in selling it without him here and showing it to people alone.

We'll just look forward to the camping season in 2013

2011 CruiserRV Viewfinder 27RBSS
2012 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew EcoBoost
Frannie our dark sable German Shepherd furkid
Fritz our red sable German Shepherd Dog gone but never forgotten
Darby our black/tan German Shepherd Dog gone but never forgotten

passport2590bh

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off, Thank You to you and your DH for his service and sacrifice.
No reason why you can not hook up the trailer and go. Especially if you have kids. Otherwise, check up on it whenever you get the time.

2006 5.7L Ram 1500 Hemi Mega Cab
2011 Keystone Passport 2590bh GT

We Cant Wait

Jamestown NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crazy4gsds, Being retired military I know there's not much time before a deployment, but if you could fit it in, where your DW just stands there and ensures you can hook and unhook the TT with no problem, go for it this summer. If you run into any problem at a campground I'm sure you'll get help from the 1st person you ask.

summerhouse

Big Rapids, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you to you both for the sacrifices you both make for his service. My SIL has served overseas on year long deployment, it sure was difficult for my daughter.
I think it would be awesome for you to try a short distance camp-out with the trailer...close to home. I took our motorhome out for the first time last summer all by myself and it built my confidence tremendously! I am sure someone can give you step-by-step hook up directions if you don't already know how.

You would lose too much to sell it so quickly after buying last fall. If you are going to leave it in storage-just go give it a walk around every month.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - 'Summerhouse'
Ford 6.8 L Triton V10 5spd

“Light hearted I take to the open road… Healthy, free, the world before me… The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.” - Walt Whitman

sandersmr

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have some really nice state parks and COE parks not too far from you. It's not that hard to learn how to hook up and tow (I learned). Enjoy it and think of DH often.

And thank you both for your sacrifice.

Maggie

Sportsmen Classic 16BH
2002 F150 Supercrew 4.6 L V8

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During our AF career the DW use to take the kids camping by herself several times. We also had other service members we/her would camp with. It's not only good for you to learn how to hook up, tow, and set up but it'll be great for the kids to get away also.

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't live too far from you here in Calhoun. If you and the kids would like to take it out to one of the local CG's my wife and I would be glad to help you with that or if you wanted help getting it ready for his leave we would be glad to help with that also.
Always glad to help a service man and family.
If you decide to take us up on this just pm me anytime.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs-28years
We love 56 T-Birds

ANewCreation

VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll join in to say THANK YOU to you and DH for your service and sacrifice. There are some awfully wonderful people here on this forum willing to help your family continue to camp. It may be just what you and your children need during DH's time away! My DH and I will be praying for you and DH as well as all our military. God Bless.

usmc616

Orange County, New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another suggestion is to ask a friend to teach you how to hook up and tow the TT once the nicer weather is here. When I was gone for Military duty my friend towed my TT to and from the CG for my wife and kis to enjoy a couple of times. My wife used a CG near by and invited him and his family to stay with them as a thank you.

SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 3 dogs
2004 Ford Excursion LTD 4x4 V-10 3.73 Gears, Hellwig Swaybar, Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Super Duty Tow Mirrors
Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.

rpegram

Eastern NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option is to find a campground that will store it for you and tow it to your site and all you do is lower jacks, hook up power cord, hook up water line and sewer line and you're good to go. No backing and no towing. You're already paying storage, so why not also include towing to campsite that campgrounds will do for you? Many campgrounds offer fairly inexpensive storage fees. With the price of fuel, many owners are turning to this and actually saving money and going camping more.

2011 Jayco 26RLS
'92 26' Starcraft TT
'96 Dodge 3500 CC, 12 valve Cummins

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Deployment = Lonely TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts