|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> POI Files/SD Disk

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Garmin nuvi 1490. I put some POI files on the disk. How do I accese the files on my garmin?

hpk

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 02:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will need the instructions provided with POI loader to access and load the files. You can't just put them on the SD Card.

Once loaded correctly then you touch 'Where To', Extras', 'Custom POIs', then you can see the ones that are loaded.

This other thread you started also has the information Other thread.

04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy Controller
Wife and myself, Lutheran Deacon, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log

Dieselgem

Northeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotpepperkid wrote:

dalenoel wrote:

You will need the instructions provided with POI loader to access and load the files. You can't just put them on the SD Card.

Once loaded correctly then you touch 'Where To', Extras', 'Custom POIs', then you can see the ones that are loaded.

I got that part
So putting them on a SD card gets me nowhere. The POI loader has no provision to delete single files its all or none. What a pia.

Put you poi files in a single folder named POI, The create sub folders, Truck Stops, Big Box Stores, etc. Go to poi factory download extra poi editor. You can edit a single file. Save it in the proper format. Yes, when you upload you will delete the entire file on the GPS but you will be reloading them with the corrected version. Hope this helps

08-KZ Escalade 41'CKS Escalade
2008 F450 Super Duty Truck
2003 FLSTS
2003 FLSTC (Wife's)

96Bounder30E

America is my home!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Tech Issues

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dieselgem wrote:

hotpepperkid wrote:

dalenoel wrote:

I got that part
So putting them on a SD card gets me nowhere. The POI loader has no provision to delete single files its all or none. What a pia.

Put you poi files in a single folder named POI, The create sub folders, Truck Stops, Big Box Stores, etc. Go to poi factory download extra poi editor. You can edit a single file. Save it in the proper format. Yes, when you upload you will delete the entire file on the GPS but you will be reloading them with the corrected version. Hope this helps

Yep very easy and not a PITA at all. In fact you can edit the *.csv files with just a text editor like wordpad/notepad and save them as *.csv. I have two master directories on my computer hard drive, one is "reference POIs" and the other "Custom Installed POIS" and I just add delet to the later and then upload that using POI loader for current use.

For a specific trip I will use MapSource to create waypoints and routes and then upload that to my Nuvi along with saving it in a *.gbd file with a unique filename like OBX.GDB (Outer Banks) or Trip North.ODB (for our trip up to Maine) for potential future loading and reference.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dalenoel wrote:

I got that part

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> POI Files/SD Disk
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS