|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Tag for Class C Motorhome

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
nikkikight

carport

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tag on my class C motorhome will expire in May. The state I live in requires vehicle inspection yearly when your tag is due. We are planning on leaving for an extended trip 60 days before our tag is due. The DMV here has informed me we can renew only 30 days in advance because of the inspection. Does anyone know an alternative that is possible. We really don't want to postpone our departure if we don't have too. However, if we have no choice that is what we will do. We have to have an updated tag and having the vehicle inspected is the only way we know how.

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I would do it when you get home if you are traveling out of your home state. We, unknowingly, ran nine month's with expired trailer tags in our home state. A state trooper driving through the camp ground mentioned it to us during a pleasant conversation in back of our trailer. Yikes! No citation thankfully.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

Finally Fulltiming

Summer: NYS Finger Lakes; Winter: Someplace warm

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your state is the only one who cares if your inspection is up-to-date. Other states will not (& I think cannot) enforce another state's individual laws.

Just get the vehicle inspected as soon as you get back.

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you get the inspection done early so they will allow the renewal? Here in CA the smog check has to be done within 30 days of renewal, but both can be done up to 90 days before expiration.

While other states don't care and won't enforce the inspection they do care about registration being current.

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What state do you live in? Maybe someone from that state will have the answer.
Finally Fulltiming is correct, your home state is the only one that cares about your inspection.
Must your C be inspected before the new tag is issued?

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bring your C (with the title) to Montana. You can register it using my address, and if it is over ten years old, you can get PERMANENT registration. No inspection is required. (I will save all the junk mail that will be generated and forward it to you monthly.)

But seriously, start with a local DMV clerk, and go up the ladder to the office supervisor, then her boss at the state level, and keep going up until you get to the Governor, if necessary. Somebody should be able to find a way to accommodate your needs!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nikkikight wrote:

The tag on my class C motorhome will expire in May. The state I live in requires vehicle inspection yearly when your tag is due. We are planning on leaving for an extended trip 60 days before our tag is due. The DMV here has informed me we can renew only 30 days in advance because of the inspection. Does anyone know an alternative that is possible. We really don't want to postpone our departure if we don't have too. However, if we have no choice that is what we will do. We have to have an updated tag and having the vehicle inspected is the only way we know how.
This is not really the place to ask this, as helpfull as everyone here wants to be, all you'll get here is ,opinions, guesses, & missleading info. The place to ask is your State DMV, (which you have already done), try asking how it CAN be done, it seems there must be a way, or else everyone from you state can't travel within 60 days of renewal?

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There has to be a way, or your state doesn't have anyone in the military! While stationed away from home of record you can keep your vehicles registered there and there must be a way. As someone else pointed out though only your state DMV can answer for sure.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without knowing what state you are registered in, all you are going to get here are helpful guesses.

I can tell you that every state I have registered vehicles in has a policy for vehicle out of state at time of registration. That is the case in six states I know and the best were in the worse states as far a requirements are concerned. Try talking to people and if you don't get a solid and clear answer, find someone else to talk to.
They may allow you to renew before the typical window.
They may issue a conditional registration that they mail to you out of state (this gives you two weeks to meet requirements after the vehicle is returned).
They may have means to waive the inspection for a year.
Keep asking and remember, they want your money and will do anything to get it.

If all else fails carry the title with you and re-register the vehicle in some convenient state at the time. (When I told DMV that this was my plan, they suddenly found a way to keep my money in the state.)

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Tag for Class C Motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS